• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks squad for the Lions named on the 8th... predictions?

the non-selectino of McKenie is insane.

hes leading the comp in many stats. His defense is amazing. His goal kicking has been reliable and in particular lately has been very good. He regularly is the difference with the chiefs winning games they could or should have lost.

the only real arguments against him are:

He's too small - lets face it he is small. But he uses that to his advantage and he uses technique and amazing athletic ability to make up for his size.

He's playing 15 when its pretty clear his long term future is at 10. I think this is the only real valid argument to not select him. All Blacks dont want to develop him as a 15 because his future lies at 10 and they cant select him at 10 because he hasn't had enough gametime there. He will be the chiefs 10 next year and that should hopefully see him selected for the AB's as a 10 who can cover 15. With Cruden going hes a good shoe for the EOY tour this year, maybe even the championship.

What do people make of Fekitoa being dropped out right? He's not even injury cover. He's got loads of All Black caps and experience and is in form. Goodhue is young and uncapped. I really think Fekitoa should have at least been injury cover.

the non-selectino of McKenie is insane.

hes leading the comp in many stats. His defense is amazing. His goal kicking has been reliable and in particular lately has been very good. He regularly is the difference with the chiefs winning games they could or should have lost.

the only real arguments against him are:

He's too small - lets face it he is small. But he uses that to his advantage and he uses technique and amazing athletic ability to make up for his size.

He's playing 15 when its pretty clear his long term future is at 10. I think this is the only real valid argument to not select him. All Blacks dont want to develop him as a 15 because his future lies at 10 and they cant select him at 10 because he hasn't had enough gametime there. He will be the chiefs 10 next year and that should hopefully see him selected for the AB's as a 10 who can cover 15. With Cruden going hes a good shoe for the EOY tour this year, maybe even the championship.

I think it's just a big mistake, they've made the wrong call, they're only human after all.

They have their reasons, but whatever they are, they're definitely not good enough to justify not selecting him, particularly selecting players that are far worse than him and not even in form!

I think it's just a big mistake, they've made the wrong call, they're only human after all.

They have their reasons, but whatever they are, they're definitely not good enough to justify not selecting him, particularly selecting players that are far worse than him and not even in form!

Yea but look how strong the Maori ABs are as a result...with Ngatai , Dmac, NMS, Reiko Iaone, James Lowe in the backline...pretty lethal combo...

NZ Maori squad

Chris Eves, Kane Hames, Mike Kainga, Ben May, Marcel Renata, Ash Dixon (c), Hika elliot, Tom Franklin, Leighton Price, Joe Wheeler, Elliot Dixon, Akira Ioane, Liam Meesam, Reed Prinsep, Kara Pryor, Bryn Hall, Otere Black, Ihaia West, Tim Bateman, Charlie Ngatai, Matt Proctor, Rieko Ioane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Declan O'Donnell, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Damian McKenzie, James Lowe, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi

DMac is a shoe in to the All Black touring squad later in the year but probably serves NZ's interests better playing for the Maori ABs against the Lions than sitting on the bench for the ABs...

We all know DMac has twice as many clean breaks , twice as many metres run, twice as many defenders beaten compared to Jordy Barret ...the stats speak for themselves and he'll be in the international picture for years to come...

Damian McKenzie v Jordie Barrett
Minutes: 1040 - 856
Tries: 5 - 5
Carries: 178 - 106
Metres: 1260 - 684
Clean breaks: 24 - 13
Defenders beaten: 58 - 24

Yea but look how strong the Maori ABs are as a result...with Ngatai , Dmac, NMS, Reiko Iaone, James Lowe in the backline...pretty lethal combo...

NZ Maori squad

Chris Eves, Kane Hames, Mike Kainga, Ben May, Marcel Renata, Ash Dixon (c), Hika elliot, Tom Franklin, Leighton Price, Joe Wheeler, Elliot Dixon, Akira Ioane, Liam Meesam, Reed Prinsep, Kara Pryor, Bryn Hall, Otere Black, Ihaia West, Tim Bateman, Charlie Ngatai, Matt Proctor, Rieko Ioane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Declan O'Donnell, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Damian McKenzie, James Lowe, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi

DMac is a shoe in to the All Black touring squad later in the year but probably serves NZ's interests better playing for the Maori ABs against the Lions than sitting on the bench for the ABs...

We all know DMac has twice as many clean breaks , twice as many metres run, twice as many defenders beaten compared to Jordy Barret ...the stats speak for themselves and he'll be in the international picture for years to come...

Yup that Maori side will be a force.
I'm interested to see where they play DMac. In the back 3 they already have Ioane, NMS and Lowe, whereas there isn't a standout 1st 5, so there's a good chance they'll play DMac at 10.
Obviously there's the option of Ioane at 13 and having DMac back at 15, but they've got Ngatai and Proctor in the centers so I really hope they don't do that. I think Ioane is a much better winger than center at this stage too.
The backline I'd like to see is:

9. TKB
10. McKenzie
11. Lowe
12. Ngatai
13. Proctor
14. Ioane
15. NMS

That is a bloody dangerous backline!

They've listed McKenzie as an outside back, so I doubt they are considering him as a first-five.

Where's Mo'unga???

yip, the crazy thing is that dmac has made a huge amount of tackles at around 85-87% and Jordie is tackling at around 55-60% mark

not hating on jordie, I honestly think he is a dead set future all black and a good selection on his own. But Dmac completely shadows him...

yip, the crazy thing is that dmac has made a huge amount of tackles at around 85-87% and Jordie is tackling at around 55-60% mark

not hating on jordie, I honestly think he is a dead set future all black and a good selection on his own. But Dmac completely shadows him...

Good thing is that the selectors have such a choice. Both players would waltz into most international XVs. Here, we're only talking about back ups to what is an insanely good ABs backline. Wait until it's 2 - 0; then we can start putting these guys in where it hurts. Yes, I know that sounds arrogant - but likely, all the same!

Very surprised by fekitoa....tho Thy he'd done enough

Hope he tries to earn his jersey back come super rugby okay off time

Unbelievable is a word I would use to describe McKenzie not being selected over Jordie.

His stats speak for him.

Fekitoa I kinda expected it (from the 33), while he has been good the other guys have been better or just as good and ALB showed last year what he can do.

They've listed McKenzie as an outside back, so I doubt they are considering him as a first-five.

Where's Mo'unga???
Does he have Maori in him? I didn't think he did... He's clearly got a predominantly pacific background...

trust all might have noticed, except for the front 2 rows, Hansen & co have assembled a squad with the capabilities to cover different positions..

seems like being versatile gets you the black jersey!

with the lions playing "warrenball", think i can understand the rational behind this squad selection

Very surprised by fekitoa....tho Thy he'd done enough

Hope he tries to earn his jersey back come super rugby okay off time

I'm more worried about him taking off overseas now. This selection snub definitely spells the end of his All Black career, I won't be surprised to see him playing in France in 2018 if he doesn't want to have another crack at the AB's next season. He will definitely be in France by 2019 IMO.

I'm more worried about him taking off overseas now. This selection snub definitely spells the end of his All Black career, I won't be surprised to see him playing in France in 2018 if he doesn't want to have another crack at the AB's next season. He will definitely be in France by 2019 IMO.

Why are you worried? Fekitoa is, at most times, a liability. And this season, and his last games with the ABs have been "wishy-washy", he did play good against the Crusaders, mind. He makes really vital mistakes literally every game. Vince Aso is 22 years old... Have you seen that kid over 40metres? Before this season we were scratching for a centre partnership.. Now? Its ridiculous. Aso does what Fekitoa does, perhaps better? He didnt make it.

As for the McKenzie vs Barrett, you can list all the stats you want. The one that matters most is "height". I know, I know McKenzie is great in the air. But the way the NH teams kick the ball in this modern era, i'll point to last night as an example, do we risk McKenzie? He will be our 10 at some point, there are going to be arguments of Beauden vs McKenzie next year.. And it will probably be a tight call.

I dont rate Squire. I dont get it. But whatever.

Aso is a good player but a bit one dimensional, too much of a bolter, Fekitoa has his number anyday.

McKenzie should be there ahead of Sopoaga, J.Barrett is fine.

I dont rate Squire. I dont get it. But whatever.

Probably best to get to get your head out off the sand then.

I agree with GGW on Aso being one-dimensional. He's been benefiting from playing outside Ngani and Beaudy, catching quick ball and bolting through a hole, stepping a wee bit in the process if needed, he's more a finisher than a midfielder at this stage of his rugby career. Hansen obviously preferred to choose an experienced player for the 14 jersey though.

Jordie included in the squad is a huge surprise. I really wanted him to feature and I'm glad to hear that he's in despite his inexperience at test level. Could've gone either way between him and Mckenzie, and I would have been happy with Dmac's selection over Barrett anyway.

I also agree with you, GoTheNaki, that Mckenzie's only defect is his size, and the Lions are a very physical outfit. They'll run over him and restrain his running game by a tight and quick defense if the ABs are dominated up front.

A bit disappointed that NMS, Dmac and Lowe didn't make it in the ABs squad but they'll be destroying the Lions in the Maori jersey which is a bit of a consolation prize.

Go New Zealand!

A proud french supporter

Latest posts