• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks team to face Romania

M

mimic

All Blacks coach Graham Henry and his assistant coaches Wayne Smith and Steve Hansen and fellow selector, Sir Brian Lochore, have announced the team to play Romania on Saturday 29 September in Toulouse:

1. Neemia Tialata
2. Keven Mealamu
3. Greg Somerville
4. Reuben Thorne
5. Keith Robinson
6. Jerry Collins (captain)
7. Chris Masoe
8. Sione Lauaki
9. Andy Ellis
10. Dan Carter
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
12. Aaron Mauger
13. Isaia Toeava
14. Josevata Rokocoko
15. Nick Evans

Reserves:

16. Andrew Hore
17. Tony Woodcock
18. Chris Jack
19. Richie McCaw
20. Brendon Leonard
21. Luke McAlister
22. Conrad Smith

“One of our major goals is to go into the quarter finals with all 30 players ready for action,†said All Blacks coach Graham Henry. “We want every player to have had game time and also to be fresh for the knock out rounds.

“It’s a balancing act and that’s been a big part of our thinking around selections for this match.â€

“We expect the team we’ve picked to raise our standards again in this match. That’s been our goal in every pool game,†said Henry. “We picked up in some areas of weakness against Scotland, but maybe not in others so we have our own challenges this week.â€

Henry noted that all 30 members of the squad were available for the match, however the selectors opted to rest Mils Muliaina (hamstring) and Leon MacDonald (bruised thigh). “We can afford to take a bit more time with their recovery,†said Henry, “and it gives us more options if Nick Evans has match time at fullbak which is a positive.â€

interesting locking combination and ellis carter combo in the halves. evans at fullback should be interesting he looked fairly comfortable their playing most of the game against scotland. I still don't think he really is a fullback and his talent is wasted there but worth trying out against someone like romania. abs should win by plenty but hopefully romanains can put up some fight

Another century looks to be on the cards.. Hopefully Ice has a cracker of a game :)

Evans is pretty handy at the back there, and I'm all for him getting more game time.

McDonald isn't going to be around for much longer (due to his age) so Evan's could well be a future prospect at 15, especially with the depth at 10 NZ has now got, with the likes of Brett and Donald coming through.

awesome team, loving the back three!!

the bench looks pretty handy too, some real impact players from the likes of leonard, mcAlister and andrew hore (who was impressive when he came on against the scots)

Evans is pretty handy at the back there, and I'm all for him getting more game time.[/b]

What many are forgetting is that Evans is a natural fullback. He started out as a fullback for Harbour, Highlanders before he was converted to 5/8.

He's more accustomed at the back and should do well in linking up with his 2 wingers in counter-attacks.

Good to see Toeava given a chance to show his worth (I know it's only Romania) and try to cement his position there. Sivivatu & Rokocoko are fighting for the vacant wingers spot given that Howlett has made No.14 his own in this tournament.

Fingers crossed Robinson makes it past warm-up and actually gets to do the Haka.

ABs by 100.

Yeah, I wonder if Evan's might be changing his thoughts on his prefered position if he has some good games at 15 for the AB's. Because he did state, the same as Luke McAlister did, that he wanted to play at 10. But in both cases these players have been kept on the bench by Carter, meaning that McAlister has ended up as an amazing 12. Contrary to Evans at 15 is the fact he'll no doubt play 10 for the Blues and Auckland next year. But, an opportunity is definitely there for him to take with this start against Romania.

Yeah, I wonder if Evan's might be changing his thoughts on his prefered position if he has some good games at 15 for the AB's. Because he did state, the same as Luke McAlister did, that he wanted to play at 10. But in both cases these players have been kept on the bench by Carter, meaning that McAlister has ended up as an amazing 12. Contrary to Evans at 15 is the fact he'll no doubt play 10 for the Blues and Auckland next year. But, an opportunity is definitely there for him to take with this start against Romania. [/b]

Knowing Nucifora by now, I wouldnt be surprised if he uses Evans at fullabck and leave Nacewa at 10.

evans may well have to consider playing fullback to get a consistent start in the abs in the near future. carter simply owns the 10 jumper like mcCaw has owned the 7 for a good few years now. evans has developed really well over the last few years as a 10 and some of those skills are simply wasted at fullback. I agree though that nucifora proabbly will put evans at fullback and waste his skills there when with the blues backline he would carve it up at 10.

<div class='quotemain'> Yeah, I wonder if Evan's might be changing his thoughts on his prefered position if he has some good games at 15 for the AB's. Because he did state, the same as Luke McAlister did, that he wanted to play at 10. But in both cases these players have been kept on the bench by Carter, meaning that McAlister has ended up as an amazing 12. Contrary to Evans at 15 is the fact he'll no doubt play 10 for the Blues and Auckland next year. But, an opportunity is definitely there for him to take with this start against Romania. [/b]

Knowing Nucifora by now, I wouldnt be surprised if he uses Evans at fullabck and leave Nacewa at 10.

[/b][/quote]

I sure hope so. It'll make life a whole lot easier when the Crusaders roll into town. :p

<div class='quotemain'>
Another century looks to be on the cards.. Hopefully Ice has a cracker of a game :)
[/b]
Why???? and what if he does? [/b][/quote]

Why not? When on form, he's a devasting player.
If he does, he'll be remember it when the RWC2011 comes along.. And he'll be more dangerous then, as long as he doesnt get injured.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Why???? and what if he does?
[/b][/quote]

For starters, it could give his confidence a world of good going into a quarter final. And knowing that we don't exactly have the cream of the crops when it comes to centers, it could possibly give us another option outside of Smith (who I believe is the front runner at the moment).

Also, I agree with everything Jim Kayes had to say in The Press this morning. I do not know why we have yet to play a game at this years RWC with our top side together. And if you do believe that last weeks team was our top side (as Henry supposedly called it), wouldn't you be worried given the complete lack of combinations and errors displayed? Regardless of injury risk, I think our full team needs to be playing with the exception of Robinson at lock as he is yet to play in the tourny.

injury is one reason why we haven't seen the top lineup yet. at one stage we only had 2 fit locks. almost everyone deserves some gametime in the pool stages to keep the guys fresh and incase they are injuries the players coming in would have some form of match fitness. remember when the world cup started it had been a good 5 weeks+ since most had played a game of rugby. once the pool stages are over there is no second chance and I expect we won't see so many changes to the team. romania provides an opportunity to rest some guys that have played a lot of rugby or have a small injury that can be rested in prepartion for the quarters

injury is one reason why we haven't seen the top lineup yet. at one stage we only had 2 fit locks. almost everyone deserves some gametime in the pool stages to keep the guys fresh and incase they are injuries the players coming in would have some form of match fitness. remember when the world cup started it had been a good 5 weeks+ since most had played a game of rugby. once the pool stages are over there is no second chance and I expect we won't see so many changes to the team. romania provides an opportunity to rest some guys that have played a lot of rugby or have a small injury that can be rested in prepartion for the quarters
[/b]

I suppose. But still, it's kind of worrying not knowing how our top team will play once they are finally all together. Considering a 1/4 final will be the first time they have played together for a while makes it lottery to how well they perform I guess, not that I have any doubts. I just think it would be beneficial that they all have game time TOGETHER before leading into the more crucial matches.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

If he does, he'll be remember it when the RWC2011 comes along.. And he'll be more dangerous then, as long as he doesnt get injured.
[/b][/quote]
Why single out a player and wish he has a good game? Personally I hope they all have good games. I'm not just a Auckland bandwagoner.
Actually; if that's the way it's going to be; I hope Rueben Thorne, Aaron Mauger and Andy Ellis have good games.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Why single out a player and wish he has a good game? Personally I hope they all have good games. I'm not just a Auckland bandwagoner.
Actually; if that's the way it's going to be; I hope Rueben Thorne, Aaron Mauger and Andy Ellis have good games.
[/b][/quote]

He's saying Toeava is a player who only performs on confidence. If he has a shocker, then it is highly unlikely he's going to be mentally prepared for a huge game the following week (world cup 1/4 final versus France for example). Most of these other guys can just put the bad ones behind them straight away and come out firing next game, but Toeava needs good performances to keep his fragile confidence up.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Yeah, I wonder if Evan's might be changing his thoughts on his prefered position if he has some good games at 15 for the AB's. Because he did state, the same as Luke McAlister did, that he wanted to play at 10. But in both cases these players have been kept on the bench by Carter, meaning that McAlister has ended up as an amazing 12. Contrary to Evans at 15 is the fact he'll no doubt play 10 for the Blues and Auckland next year. But, an opportunity is definitely there for him to take with this start against Romania. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

I sure hope so. It'll make life a whole lot easier when the Crusaders roll into town. :p

[/b][/quote]

Nucifora putting Evans at fullback would be the smart thing to do - What would you rather face, Nacewa at 10 with Nick Evans at 15, or Nucifora putting Evans at Fly Half and putting that bumbling, fumbling moron Pisi at Full Back like he did this year? If I was a Crusaders fan I would definatly be hoping for the latter.

[/quote]

He's saying Toeava is a player who only performs on confidence. If he has a shocker, then it is highly unlikely he's going to be mentally prepared for a huge game the following week (world cup 1/4 final versus France for example). Most of these other guys can just put the bad ones behind them straight away and come out firing next game, but Toeava needs good performances to keep his fragile confidence up.
[/quote]
If he's so 'fragile' and is likely to have a 'shocker', (as you put it; and undoubtedly he has had several times in a black jersey) then he shouldn't be in the squad.
Anyway, he won't be playing in the 1/4. He's the 3rd pick centre, thankfully!

Latest posts