• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All-Round players

Japan's former FB Gorômaru joined a scrum as a Flanker when a FW (I forgot the position) was in sinbin in Japan's Top-League. Such cases are not rare?

Japan's former FB Gorômaru joined a scrum as a Flanker when a FW (I forgot the position) was in sinbin in Japan's Top-League game. Such cases are not rare?

Japan's former FB Gorômaru joined a scrum as a Flanker when a FW (I forgot the position) was in sinbin in Japan's Top-League. Such cases are not rare?
Not really,
If a forward is binned a back often joins the scrum - usually it's a big centre but back 3 players aren't rare (i.e. Johnny May's....attempt)

Think John Tait played wing and second row for Canada, and was always popping up on the wing for Cardiff.

So

4. Matt Banahan
5. John Tait
7. Levani Botia
8. Mathieu Bastareaud

9. Mauro Bergamasco (Happy to shift to wing if we can find replacement)

12. Richie Vernon

Not really,
If a forward is binned a back often joins the scrum - usually it's a big centre but back 3 players aren't rare (i.e. Johnny May's....attempt)

7. Nowell
8 Cockanasiga

Bith have packed down in them positions if thats how it works.

Dane Coles on the wing has to happen...he probably spends more time out there than in the tight anyway

Not really,

So is it possible to reduce the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 14 (7 FWs, 6 BKs, 1 all-rounder)?

There are plenty of Flankers down the years who could have been successful backs.

Fergus Slattery was the 2nd quickest player in the 1974 Lions team behind JJ Williams

Tom Croft could play 2nd row, flanker and was quick enough to be on the wing.

Tim Rodber was another who had the flat out pace of a back.

Backs to forwards, the only one who springs to mind is JPR Williams who was hard as nails and often trained with the forwards just for shits and giggles.

There was also John Eales who as well as playing second row also took the place kicks for Australia.

Don't know if it's true but according to wikipedia Colby Fainga'a (Connacht flanker) can also play scrum half.

Don't know if it's true but according to wikipedia Colby Fainga'a (Connacht flanker) can also play scrum half.
A quick Google search said that it was a one time thing for the Rebels when their starting 9 got injured and they didn't have any bench cover, so he got shifted there.

Tim Rodber was another who had the flat out pace of a back.

Didn't think Rodber was quite that quick? But loved him as a player, proper tough nut who didn't know the meaning of backward step and always had that slightly worrying "don't **** with me" look in his eye.

Guess that's the difference between growing up in the army and an academy.

Pierre Spies used to play wing and no. 8
Schalk Brits played no. 8 and hooker in the 2019 RWC
Cheslin Kolbe can play scrumhalf, wing and fullback
Bobby Skinstad played no. 8 and centre for the Springboks

Eales nickname was Nobody because nobody is good at everything.

Cant recall another lock who kicked goals since.

Latest posts