• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Alun-Wyn Jones out of 6 Nations.

I'd imagine Jon Thomas would go to 6 what with Golf Cart Man out. Bradley Davies proabably will get the nod at 5.

burns-excellent.jpg

I hope Gatland brings in Gareth Delve to play 6 and Jon Thomas at lock with Gough

I'd be tempted to go with Gough/Bradley Davies & Jonathan Thomas in the second row, with Warberton at 6. But I think Gatland will go for Gough/Bradley Davies and Charteris in the second row with Jon Thomas at 6, which is still ok.

A bit of a blow. But I am certain that Gough has the experience to cover. Davies alongside him with JT in the backrow and thats still fine.

No more injuries to the backrow though please Gatland, thanks.

Do you think Gough and Davies would work well together? They are both very similar players.

Gough and Davies are to similar to play together, but I have a feeling that Gatland will want to match the French for physicality so this is more than likely the option he may well take.

Both Charteris and Gough have been realised, as had Deiniol Jones. So that means that, with JT now a flanker, Gatland is planning to play a second row of... Davies and Imaginary Bob.

Although Gough may just be because of his lack of gametime. I wouldn't mind seeing Gough and Davies, to be honest. Would put the French scrum under a lot of pressure.

Not sure if Gough and Charteris were released before the Alun-Wyn Jones' news. Wonder if either will be called back? I can understand Gough getting some gametime, as he's had very little in the past 6 months. Deiniol Jones won't take part in the French match as he's quite far down the pecking order (was in better form last season).

However with those two released, maybe Warberton at 6 is a distinct possibility against France, with Jon Thomas partering Davies in the second row. I for one hope that's what Gatland goes for (or a JT, Gough combo) because Martyn Williams has been struggling for Wales lately. That might have been purely down to Andy Powell not putting himself about enough, or it could be a combination of that and Martyn Williams' age. Williams is still a top class linkman, but he despirately needs someone to do the donky work alongside him, I maintain that Warberton is that man, and those two could be a killer combination. He also adds another top quality lineout jumper to help Jon Thomas.

It should be Gough and Charteris, with JT at 6. But Gatland doesn't know what he's doing, so I'm expecting anything!!
With Bradley Davies included somewhere, I'm guessing! :ranting: :rahh:

Bradley Davies had a big impact on Saturday's game. He's a very strong player, who's probably the best ball carrying lock we have. So I honestly don't mind who plays between him and Gough, but I'm still not sure about both at the same time. Neither are great lineout options, infact they are both front of the linelout options. That would then leave us with just one out and out jumper in JT, although Martyn and Ryan can also do a job.

It's all well and good wanting Gough to start, but he's had barely any gametime of late. Jonathan Thomas is starting ahead of him at the Ospreys. Infact, when was the last game he played a part in (minus any LC Cup games)? At the start of the season I claimed that Gough was past it, now that was probably a little premature, but when a youngster like Bradley Davies is playign well, why not go with that younster over a player who's well into his 30's?

I still think Charteris was unlucky to be dropped after the England game. Turner has said that Charteris was only thrown to once during that England match. Who was calling the lineouts, because not to use one of the tallest players in international rugby more than once as a lineout jumper is stupid!

I agree that Gough and Davies are very similar. In regards to the lineout, Davies has been used as a front jumper for the blues most of the season. With Martyn and JT there, I don't see that being a massive issue. I am more worried about Goughs lack of game time as I wasn't aware of this. It depends on form now then. I am really not a fan of Charteris, but if hes the only other guy with game time I suppose its a good environment to test a potential WC lock combination.

Well our lineouts have been a majour cause for concern in these six nations. Davies and Gough being front jumpers was the problem I was bringing up. I've rarely seen either used as a middle jumper, and never as a back jumper. Now I know JT is an excellent lineout forward, and usually sorts out the middle with Ryan and Martyn takign care of the back. Charteris however adds a formidable lineout option (shows this week in week out for the Dragons) that would give us more options, and keep the oposition guessing.

It's all well and good thinking about grunt, but if we fall apart in the lineout (the most important set-piece), we'll struggle to get any ball in Frances 22. We saw this against England and Scotland, where we consistently lost our throws in attacking positions. It was a huge problem v England, as it forced us to take pot shots at goal from the half way line instead of playing for teritory. Against Scotland with 13 men, this was no longer a problem because we could attack from deep.

I don't think Charteris get's utilized all that well for Wales. He's not the main lineout jumper for some reason, whearas for the Dragon's he's the lineout caller aswell. He wasn't the right player to be paired with Alun-Wyn, as both lacked grunt, but alongside Gough or Bradley Davies, he's just what we need imo.

Latest posts