Amazon Prime

Don't Skip Leg Day

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
So I used my free prime 30 day trial to watch the England game and thought I'd see what else prime had on it.

But everything else I wanted to watch you have to pay extra for, I'm really confused. What's the point in paying a monthly prime membership if I have to pay extra to watch the latest true detective or seal team episodes?

This isn't a rant more curious as Netflix offers way more for the same price.

Yeh different model to Netflix . Just watch the stuff that says "prime" and it's included in your subscription. It's got some good recent films like Parasite and 1917 you don't have to pay extra for. Steer clear the ones which ask you to rent or buy.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges until Netflix start delivering parcels to you in double quick time as part of their price, or indeed showing live sport.

It can't compete with Netflix purely as a streaming service in terms of volume or quality of content, but that's not to say that there's not stuff worth watching on there. To add to the films mentioned above, there's quite a lot of good documentary content (including the "All Or Nothing" series) and stand up comedy if either of those things float your boat. Also, a lot of the Amazon Original content is very good.

Personally I never find these kind of things very easy to browse, if I'm stuck for something to watch, I ofter Google "best xxxxxx Amazon Video UK" which usually throws up something interesting. You could also try searching Prime Video for "rugby", although the quality of what's available is variable. The All Blacks All Or Nothing starts very well, but turns in to a Lions tour highlights package as the series goes on.

Prime isn't just prime video, though,
You also get the free next day shipping, prime gaming, prime reading (on kindle), prime music (and maybe more? I didn't realise kindle prime was a thing until recently)

It is frustrating when you want to watch something, think it's free, and then realise it's not included with prime, but you very quickly get used to clocking the prime logo in the corner on the free stuff when you're searching (or just browsing the "Free with prime" sections)

I make my money back 10 times over just on the free shipping - it's a life saver

I make my money back 10 times over just on the free shipping - it's a life saver
I query this - how much of a saving is it? Everything that includes free shipping through Prime includes free shipping without Prime - it's just next day as opposed to 3-4 days time.

As far as I recall, the only thing I've ever bought online that was THAT time sensitive was a new freezer - which had free delivery through Currys anyway.

I suspect it's a matter of "I have it, therefore I use it; and the receipt shows 'free shipping' so I think I'm saving myself £4.50 with every purchase"
Of course, I may well be wrong, and Prime allows for free shipping on stuff that is sold through Amazon, rather then by Amazon - in which case, yes it'll make a difference. But you'd have to buy a lot through Amazon to make it pay for itself that way.

I query this - how much of a saving is it? Everything that includes free shipping through Prime includes free shipping without Prime - it's just next day as opposed to 3-4 days time.
Ah, for real?
I've had it for so long I didn't realise they did that now

I'm pretty impatient with online shopping so will usually plump for the faster shipping anyway

Edit:
Of course, I may well be wrong, and Prime allows for free shipping on stuff that is sold through Amazon, rather then by Amazon
Fairly sure it does - there's some sort of system where independent companies can have their goods stored in amazon warehouses so are prime eligible, or something along those lines

Last edited:
i managed to get student discount as doing a professional qualification atm. Free for 6 months then half price going forward. So well worth it for me. Still, feel a bit guilty that I am not shopping at small shops and supporting them, but dang how can you say no to next day delivery and the Prime tv/movies sports is good. tennis is on there, which I enjoy.

Prime video has had decent stuff in the past. A series called The Expanse is on there, which I really enjoyed. They also used to have a series called Turn, which was also very good although now unfortunately is not included for free with prime. It can't compete with the likes of netflix but some prime exclusives are pretty good and I'd say you get way more for your money with prime than a netflix subsciption. 95% of the stuff on Netflix I have no interest watching.

Fairly sure it does - there's some sort of system where independent companies can have their goods stored in amazon warehouses so are prime eligible, or something along those lines
They do. It's called FBA (Fulfilled By Amazon) Plenty of people are making good money as FBA sellers. I'm pretty sure some Prime deliveries I've received have come direct from independant retailers too.

Prime video has had decent stuff in the past. A series called The Expanse is on there, which I really enjoyed. They also used to have a series called Turn, which was also very good although now unfortunately is not included for free with prime. It can't compete with the likes of netflix but some prime exclusives are pretty good and I'd say you get way more for your money with prime than a netflix subsciption. 95% of the stuff on Netflix I have no interest watching.
Aye, some of their exclusives are great,

I really enjoyed Jack Ryan (first season better than 2nd, but good show all told) - The Boys is superb, James May Our Man In Japan is really good 'n' all.

I think the way to view prime video is that it's their video streaming library and if you have Amazon Prime you get access to a chunk of it for free (with things rotating in/out) - whereas netflix it's a subscription streaming service where you pay for access to the whole library.

Latest posts