• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Football vs. Rugby

i agree but the thing with commentators are they are always told not to be biased, the best commentating comes from local broadcasts, they go nuts, but i agree for the most part!

All I know is that I would sacrifice many a goat to get Adrian Peterson to run out for a test match in All Black colours
[/b]

Shouldn't that be Colour. :p

<div class='quotemain'>
All I know is that I would sacrifice many a goat to get Adrian Peterson to run out for a test match in All Black colours
[/b]

Shouldn't that be Colour. :p
[/b][/quote]
White is a colour as well :p

Ignorance.

American Football at the college level is one of the most passionate, beautiful sports on the planet. The kids play for pure love of the game and for wanting to win so bad to reach the National Championship. One loss and you're most likely done, every game matters. I've had the privelage of seeing The Ohio State University play at Ohio Stadium multiple times and i hate to be honest but seeing that stadium packed with 100,000+ all wearing red is something that is not experienced to often in rugby at any level. If it's lame to see amatuer athletes lay it all on the line, for themselves, the state, the university then i dont know what exciting is.

You guys don't understand, the tradition of the game is up there with any other game in the world. There is nothing like college football in this world. The rivalries, the passion, the tradition.

And our football is a lot like your football. One play can change a game, one simple play can change the course of the entire game, each play when those players line up you don't know whats coming, you don't know if its going to be a run or if the defense is going to get burned and your team takes it to the house, or if you will throw a interception that brings the other team right into it. Very similar to your football in that one penalty can change a match, one goal can make a difference, one pass, one slip etc. [/b]

Good post but it essentially misses the point of my reply.

Passionate support and rivalries are all well & good but ultimately the actual game itself that's being played is a load of old ****.

This is proven by the fact that one bit of American football that resembles rugby is so instantly famous. Yeah, great play guys...next week you are taking off the body armour and doing it for 80 minutes solid with very few substitutions allowed. ;)

<div class='quotemain'>

Ignorance.

American Football at the college level is one of the most passionate, beautiful sports on the planet. The kids play for pure love of the game and for wanting to win so bad to reach the National Championship. One loss and you're most likely done, every game matters. I've had the privelage of seeing The Ohio State University play at Ohio Stadium multiple times and i hate to be honest but seeing that stadium packed with 100,000+ all wearing red is something that is not experienced to often in rugby at any level. If it's lame to see amatuer athletes lay it all on the line, for themselves, the state, the university then i dont know what exciting is.

You guys don't understand, the tradition of the game is up there with any other game in the world. There is nothing like college football in this world. The rivalries, the passion, the tradition.

And our football is a lot like your football. One play can change a game, one simple play can change the course of the entire game, each play when those players line up you don't know whats coming, you don't know if its going to be a run or if the defense is going to get burned and your team takes it to the house, or if you will throw a interception that brings the other team right into it. Very similar to your football in that one penalty can change a match, one goal can make a difference, one pass, one slip etc. [/b]

Passionate support and rivalries are all well & good but ultimately the actual game itself that's being played is a load of old ****.

This is proven by the fact that one bit of American football that resembles rugby is so instantly famous. Yeah, great play guys...next week you are taking off the body armour and doing it for 80 minutes solid with very few substitutions allowed. ;)
[/b][/quote]

Whatever traditions, rivalries etc, Rugby can match those. The only thing Rugby can't match is having in excess of 70,000 people per game. Now maybe if Russia or China would be as fanatical.

<div class='quotemain'>

Ignorance.

[/b][/quote]

It's hardly instantly famous - everyone stopped talking about it after 2 or 3 days, the only play like that is really remembered is the Stanford / Cal game from the early 80's, and that's only remembered because of the fact the play occured while the fans and band were in the middle of the field and the fact the loss meant Elway never played in a bowl game.

And besides, I thought that sort of play wasn't Rugby? You spent several topics wanking on about how encourgaging teams to actually use the backline is a dasterdly Southern Hemisphere plot to turn Rugby into League, and that real Rugby is watching 2 fly halfs punting the ball out 46 times a game.

And besides, I thought that sort of play wasn't Rugby? You spent several topics wanking on about how encourgaging teams to actually use the backline is a dasterdly Southern Hemisphere plot to turn Rugby into League, and that real Rugby is watching 2 fly halfs punting the ball out 46 times a game.
[/b]

Deary me, I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Well... for me personally... American Football is boring. It's great to see a recap and so forth but what's up with all the interruptions?

Well... for me personally... American Football is boring. It's great to see a recap and so forth but what's up with all the interruptions?
[/b]
To take a new fresh beer on the fridge, toilet etc

Rugby is tougher but NFL is very strategic. [/b]

That's very much a debateable topic. People often point to the helmet and pads and say that it is weaker because they wear padding. Of couse it's the complete opposite. if you think of simple physics really, the faster you go with the more weight the more it hurts. Everytime you see a helmet to helmet hit, a concussion has just happened.

One thing the NFL has going for it, is there are athletes in the league that just aren't in any other sport. One could argue the NBA has more athletic players, from a jumping and quickness perspective, but the NFL has the fastest, strongest most brutish athletes on the planet. The rugby world has not seen athletes like this or at least not in the quantity and quality of these athletes. Maybe Jonah Lomu, but he would be just an average athlete amongst the NFL circles. Quite scary the thought of rugby taking off in the United States.

Ah, but you forget they steroid ridden lump that stroll around the NFL pitch for 5 seconds at a time don't have anywhere near the cardio levels required to continuously play for 40 minutes.

Anyone can bulk up to look like a WWF wrestler if that's all they work on training, but let's see somebody do that then play 80 minutes rugby to any sort of decent standard. All well and good being a big lump, but if they can't last they're no use at all.

Maybe Jonah Lomu, but he would be just an average athlete amongst the NFL circles.
[/b]
Yeah....right buddy, that's why everyone around the world marvels of the supermen of NFL.

Maybe Jonah Lomu, but he would be just an average athlete amongst the NFL circles.
[/b]

What a load of ****! What makes supporters of NFL think that their players are so much bigger stronger and faster than Rugby players? Equal proportions of freakish athletes are born in all countries, not just the US

I like both equally, but remember rugby actually punishes its players for using roids. NFL players just get a slap on the wrist.

<div class='quotemain'> Rugby is tougher but NFL is very strategic. [/b]

That's very much a debateable topic. People often point to the helmet and pads and say that it is weaker because they wear padding. Of couse it's the complete opposite. if you think of simple physics really, the faster you go with the more weight the more it hurts. Everytime you see a helmet to helmet hit, a concussion has just happened.

One thing the NFL has going for it, is there are athletes in the league that just aren't in any other sport. One could argue the NBA has more athletic players, from a jumping and quickness perspective, but the NFL has the fastest, strongest most brutish athletes on the planet. The rugby world has not seen athletes like this or at least not in the quantity and quality of these athletes. Maybe Jonah Lomu, but he would be just an average athlete amongst the NFL circles. Quite scary the thought of rugby taking off in the United States.
[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree on this "If American picks this up, we'll be beaten to a pulp" rubbish. Absolute trash. Yes the do have the numbers and the money, but talent brings your sport to as totally different level. So what if you transplant say some 350lbs linebacker in rugby, they lack speed and agility, and all they'll make is one tackle and drop dead exhausted because they foces on nothing but muscles on their ***s, muscles on their arms and muscles on their ball. They forget that rugby is a nonstop 80 iminute game as versus a 15 second stop start jog. Rugby players, instead, are a the whole package. Speed, agility, size, strength etctec.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree on this "If American picks this up, we'll be beaten to a pulp" rubbish. Absolute trash. Yes the do have the numbers and the money, but talent brings your sport to as totally different level. So what if you transplant say some 350lbs linebacker in rugby, they lack speed and agility, and all they'll make is one tackle and drop dead exhausted because they foces on nothing but muscles on their ***s, muscles on their arms and muscles \on their ball. \
[/b]

lolz.

Never seen Merriman, Peppers or Freeny have you? I'd probably go as far to say you've just heard other people babble the same uninformed nonsense and you've just reguirgtated it in your own unique pointless way, which seems to be how you generally roll.

It's pure genetics, African Americans are probably the most natural athletes on the world, even more than the Fijians, the good ol' boys on the cotton farms wanted the strongest, fittest, biggest and so on, so naturally the ones who ended up in America produced these sort of athletic freaks. I would personally love to see how many snaps Joe Rocokoko would last as a Running Back, I would put the over/under at 0.5. Actually, no, I wouldn't, chuck Lote in there, let him get hammered. The average running back is as fast, if not faster than the average rugby winger, but also has to have the strength and stamina to survive having 4 players taking shots at your knees 30 times a game.

Balls shape is the only common point between that two sports.
Physical preparation are probably very different.
I can't see a player, who do only one repetitive action per match, being involved on a 80 minutes game.

Of course I've heard bout those athletes and seen some nice videos on Youtube. But what irks me the most is this attitude that America WILL and MUST succeed in anything they pick up.

Latest posts