• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amlin Challenge Cup Quarter Finals

If he hadn't been made club captain for the season he wouldn't be anywhere near the match day 23.

I didn't feel the game was that close, but then if Robinson could kick it would have been close.

Tallshort: I see your point, but is it right that a team like Leinster gets Clermont at group stage and get knocked out of europe altogether, just because they couldnt beat the best team there is?

Last edited:
Not taking anything away from Leinster but does anyone else think its wrong to come out the Heineken cup into the amlin ? Still an awesome game though !
I've always disliked teams dropping down into the Amlin. If you're knocked out of a cup comp you shouldn't then get free pass into another one.

Agree on the 2nd part - fantastic game for a neutral!

I've always disliked teams dropping down into the Amlin. If you're knocked out of a cup comp you shouldn't then get free pass into another one.

Agree on the 2nd part - fantastic game for a neutral!

Same, it seems unfair on teams that get knocked out of Amlin purely to accomodate a team thats failed in the main comp. That said, if someone can do some research into how many, if any of the recent winners of the Amlin have been HCup failures

Same, it seems unfair on teams that get knocked out of Amlin purely to accomodate a team thats failed in the main comp. That said, if someone can do some research into how many, if any of the recent winners of the Amlin have been HCup failures

Biarritz last year and Cardiff Blues 2 years ago spring to mind.

Stephen Jones at 8.34pm:
https://twitter.com/stephenjones9/status/320273275542454272
Stephen Jones ‏<s>@</s>stephenjones9 Sorry Twitterland Mr Madigan doesn't become a Lion on one Thursday evening in the secondary event!

Hard to argue with that. Madigan played really well again but he hasn't shown his top form at international or Heineken Cup level.

Stephen Jones at 8.41pm:
https://twitter.com/stephenjones9/status/320259802439753728
Stephen Jones ‏<s>@</s>stephenjones9 "I don't see there being a real wildcard on the Tour.' Warren Gatland talking in Hong Kong last week. Christian Wade fairly wild at moment?

Did he not contradict himself with the later comment?!

Leinster v Biarritz in one semi final. Should be good.

Not to be a monster of it but seedings are done on a fair basis and if Clermont and Leinster want to be in seperate pools then Clermont should CONSISTENTLY perform and maybe win HEC and become top seed. Seedings are fairly done

Leinster v Biarritz in one semi final. Should be good.

Will be a fantastic game if both teams played they like they did in the Quarters and would even go as far as to say, if that were the case, BO would take a similar defensive and breakaway win?!

Not to be a monster of it but seedings are done on a fair basis and if Clermont and Leinster want to be in seperate pools then Clermont should CONSISTENTLY perform and maybe win HEC and become top seed. Seedings are fairly done

I am not a fan of the seeding system. They are far too slow to reflect the rankings. The fact that Biarritz and Cardiff Blues were considered top seeds in their pools sums this up despite the likes of Clermont being far better than both for a quite a while now. Biarritz have basically stayed as top seed thanks to the easy groups they continuously get.

A better way of doing it would be to have the top 2 in each league in the first band. The third and fourth in each league the second band and so on. That would reward teams like Harlequins and Toulon in the top group of seeds instead of ludicrously having Biarritz (9th Top 14) and Cardiff Blues (7th RaboPro12) as top seeds in their pool.

I'm not saying the seeding system is unfair as it is the same for all teams, but it doesn't offer near enough and accurate picture of who the top seeds should be.

I am not a fan of the seeding system. They are far too slow to reflect the rankings. The fact that Biarritz and Cardiff Blues were considered top seeds in their pools sums this up despite the likes of Clermont being far better than both for a quite a while now. Biarritz have basically stayed as top seed thanks to the easy groups they continuously get.

A better way of doing it would be to have the top 2 in each league in the first band. The third and fourth in each league the second band and so on. That would reward teams like Harlequins and Toulon in the top group of seeds instead of ludicrously having Biarritz (9th Top 14) and Cardiff Blues (7th RaboPro12) as top seeds in their pool.

I'm not saying the seeding system is unfair as it is the same for all teams, but it doesn't offer near enough and accurate picture of who the top seeds should be.

We are in total agreement that it would be right, proper and correct to change the seedings to your proposal but have to say that it really does suit Biarritz and secondly, what is the point as next season could really be the last anyway!!

Does anyone have any news on either side conceding any ground, or on being able to see BT Vision's rugby coverage as a non subscriber, as I must have missed it?

Well here's a poser. If a team finished 4th in table and scored a fluke win over 1st in Rabo league then who gets top seeding?
Or if it #6 in Top 14 that goes on to win playoffs.
Also if a French team gets top seed yet has no interest how do you stop people *****ing and moaning if that team doesn't field strongly enough and makes it easier for others.
And finally seen as people highlight Munster poor Rabo position, what if a team like Munster won HEC and finished lowly in Rabo how can you justify putting winners in as 3/4 seeds.

Well here's a poser. If a team finished 4th in table and scored a fluke win over 1st in Rabo league then who gets top seeding?
Or if it #6 in Top 14 that goes on to win playoffs.
Also if a French team gets top seed yet has no interest how do you stop people *****ing and moaning if that team doesn't field strongly enough and makes it easier for others.

I think the proposed change is to reward current consistency rather than historical consistency of qualification so the examples you quote, being flukes, would not count as an argument against?

And finally seen as people highlight Munster poor Rabo position, what if a team like Munster won HEC and finished lowly in Rabo how can you justify putting winners in as 3/4 seeds.

Not very likely as they will be lucky to get past Quins...now that would be a fluke!!

Stade to beat Bath..............but should be a great game if anything like the previous quarters!!

Stade to beat Bath..............but should be a great game if anything like the previous quarters!!
You serious? Paris are playing like ****, and they are firing their coaches one by one. Morale is at a historic low... Quesada arriving next year is the best that could happen to them IMO, but until then it's just a lost cause.
Does anyone have the Bath squad for today? Here's Paris':

Bonneval ; Vuidravuwalu, Doumayrou, P. Williams, Sinzelle ; Plisson, Fillol ; Parisse, Lyons, Rabadan ; Mostert, Lavalla ; Slimani, De Malmanche, Wright.Remplaçants: Bonfils, Becasseau, Zhvania, Van Zyl, Burban, Dupuy, Arias, Warwick.

You serious? Paris are playing like ****, and they are firing their coaches one by one. Morale is at a historic low... Quesada arriving next year is the best that could happen to them IMO, but until then it's just a lost cause.
Does anyone have the Bath squad for today? Here's Paris':

Bonneval ; Vuidravuwalu, Doumayrou, P. Williams, Sinzelle ; Plisson, Fillol ; Parisse, Lyons, Rabadan ; Mostert, Lavalla ; Slimani, De Malmanche, Wright.Remplaçants: Bonfils, Becasseau, Zhvania, Van Zyl, Burban, Dupuy, Arias, Warwick.

I know all that but.....................I have to support the French teams!!

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/challenge-europeen/2012-2013/bath-rugby-stade-francais_mtc537082/live.shtml

Edit......Stade kicked off about a yard over the half way line and, last night, a hooker threw in with both is feet inside and not nearly touching the touch line........why bother having lines on pitches anymore!!

Last edited:
I wasn't saying Munster will beat Quins just pointing if a scenario like that or Edinburgh last season like if Munster win tomorrow we won't be worried if we were done by 50 points in every game between now and a potential semi

Will be a fantastic game if both teams played they like they did in the Quarters and would even go as far as to say, if that were the case, BO would take a similar defensive and breakaway win?!
I think Leinster will win but since Biarritz have a very poor record away from home this season. Add in the likes of O'Driscoll, Sexton, O'Malley and Jennings probably returning to the 23 and I think it'll be relatively comfortable - about 15 points between the sides. What I want to see it both teams sling the ball around and try to play rather than arm wrestle like most European teams indulge in.

I think Leinster will win but since Biarritz have a very poor record away from home this season. Add in the likes of O'Driscoll, Sexton, O'Malley and Jennings probably returning to the 23 and I think it'll be relatively comfortable - about 15 points between the sides. What I want to see it both teams sling the ball around and try to play rather than arm wrestle like most European teams indulge in.

Their home record ain't much better but I did say "if both teams played they like they did in the Quarters".

You are absolutely right in what you say, on paper, but BO tore up the paper on Thursday and maybe, maybe they will want it more and do it again but will surely start as underdogs!

Meanwhile, Stade are playing really well at the moment but Fillol is looking like a red card is only a matter of time for him......

I'm just waiting from one of the Bath forward to absolutely ruin him.
A Lawes vs Parra moment is what I'm after.

I'm just waiting from one of the Bath forward to absolutely ruin him.
A Lawes vs Parra moment is what I'm after.

I am sure that they would love to, and who could blame them, but they need every one of their players on the pitch to avoid a good old thrashing......one the scoreboard anyway!

Latest posts