• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ammount of Injuries

cyclone101

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Bulls
Is it just me or are more injuries this season than usual?

I ask this because I heard from an advisor at the Bulls, now this might just be a rumor, that Vic Mat, and Spies told Jacques Potgieter and Stander that they are overworking themselves in the gym and on the field and it could lead to a short career. I heard this before J Potgieter got injured.
And now with Dewald Potgieter returning from a hamstring injury after just 4 weeks I am starting to wonder if the players aren't being pushed too hard by the teams to perform.

When Sadie came from the Stormers he said that he was never pushed harder than at the bulls, and this coming from a top player at a top club! It's not like he had light workouts with the Stormers...

I know the Bulls fitness coach is an old school fitness type and he likes to push the players to their limits, but if ultimate fitness comes at the cost of an injury is it worth it?

Do you guys think that modern Rugby is getting too taxing on players? Or at least pushing the limits of what your body can do, maybe even trying to exceed it?

Just a thought
Regards
Jacques

If we look at most of the injuries that occured during this year's Super Rugby tournament, the main injuries are due to a bad fall, or a hard knock from another player.

Schalk Burger fell in an awkward position and any person in that same position would have also limped off with the same, if not worse injury. The same happened to Jacques Potgieter, Duane Vermeulen, Nick Koster and Nizam Carr... It wasn't because of over-training... It was mainly due to hard physical encounters, it's uncontrollable and there's nothing you can do about it(unless you let them play with skateboard-like knee-guards). Frik Kirsten broke his finger, **** happens...

If guys pulls a muscle, or get cramp, then that might be the fitness coach's fault.

My Opinion is that the Professional era has gone above and beyond in conditioning players and getting them as healthy or as fit as can be...

Latest posts