• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

And the new Bok coach is........

B

BokMagic

.... Pieter De Villiers, he of 2 u/19 RWC victories, an u/21 RWC victory (i.e 3 age-group RWC`s in 4 attempts, losing only the u/21 final of 2006, to France in France), a Nations Cup triumph with the Emerging Boks in 2007, and some fairly decent success in his time with the Falcons- and trust me, that takes some doing.

He defeated former Bulls coach Heynecke Meyer, currently director of rugby at the Bulls, as well as builder of a dynasty that included 5 successive Currie Cup finals, winning 3 and sharing 1 of those, as well as a first-ever Super rugby ***le in 2007, to the top post in the final round of voting.

The 2 also-rans were Jake White`s former backline assistant coach Allister Coetzee, and former Bok 7`s coach Chester Williams. Neither had anything like a proven track record as head coaches in 15-man rugby, so in the end it came down to the 2 most plausible candidates.

So, did SARU choose the right man for the job, or should Meyer have gotten it? Could Meyer possibly be included as assistant for the forwards, and will he accept such a challenge?

Discuss.

....I think they should have gone with Gareth Jenkins, he's dashed good I hear around Welsh circles...

From Your description of him, BokMagic, yes, I'd say that's who I'd have picked. He's worked with all the young talent that will be coming up in the next couple of years on an international level. He's successful and he'll have the respect of the new Boks.
Time will only tell.

To tell you the truth O`Roth, he was my personal pick also, even though I would`ve easily settled for Meyer. In fact, if Meyer became the forwards coach- and there`s no doubt, he`s by far the best forwards coach in SA, then we could just be in for a formidable coaching duo.

Added to that, De Villiers has a working experience with several current leading Boks at age-group level, guys like Habana, Pietersen, Spies and Pienaar have all been successful under him. As have some leading lights like Ralephelle, Morne Steyn, Kankowski and others who will come through over the next few years.

Just a pity Oregan "Hopeless" Hoskins then has to go and politicise it all again, saying that it was the right choice for transformation. Bullshite I say. The best contender got the job, and leave it at that. The fact that he`ll be the 1st "coach of colour" shouldn`t even be mentioned, because he`s the best bloke for the job IMO.

I must say I know nothing much about any of the candidates, but De Villiers achievements certainly are impressive and sound worthy of a crack at national coach.

I love the fact that the coaches draw so much interest now, the Tri-nations should be a crackingly(?) interesting one, even if it may be a bit drawn out!

Henry v Deans v De Villers = Great Rugby (hopefully!!)

I know! I think I'm as likely to be able to name any of the England coaches from 1950 - 1997 as you could New Zealand coaches in the same period!

I don't think coaches seemed to matter that much back then. Sports like soccer and American Football have placed huge capital on the coach especially in the latter over the past fifty years. Soccer has the image of the eccentric guy in the sheepskin coach while American Football conjures images of the gruff and grizzled veteran nearing the end of his life yet still barking orders with a fine cuban cigar between his chops.

I dont know anything about him i have to admit but its good that SA have picked a black coach. In such a racially conscious country this is an important move to end racial segregation. Obviously he's a half decent coach as well. ;)

Like i said in the thread when the candidates were announced, i'm indifferent whether De Villiers or Meyer gets the job.

Well done to De Villiers for getting the job. He has come through the national level ranks, much like Jake White. And what a bonus it would be if Meyer got involved into the Bok setup.

I know! I think I'm as likely to be able to name any of the England coaches from 1950 - 1997 as you could New Zealand coaches in the same period!

I don't think coaches seemed to matter that much back then. Sports like soccer and American Football have placed huge capital on the coach especially in the latter over the past fifty years. Soccer has the image of the eccentric guy in the sheepskin coach while American Football conjures images of the gruff and grizzled veteran nearing the end of his life yet still barking orders with a fine cuban cigar between his chops. [/b]

Could that maybe be because in the 50`s in rugby, the coach was generally the thing that transported teams to the playing field, or maybe because with the advent of professionalism, all of a sudden top coaches are attracting 7-figure annual salaries, and are thus deemed more interesting by the press?

Heyneke Meyer is the better coach but if this new coach stay with the core players of the world cup, and there are some great new talent I see no problem with SA Rugby.

if he picks players on merit, and not how the politicians want him to then he will do just fine...

if he keeps the core experienced players, and continues to bring through exciting young talent (black green blue white whatever) then the future is looking pretty good for the boks

That's what seems strange. SARU say the transformation issue played a part in De Villiers appointment as coach. But De Villiers insists he'll select a team on merit. Maybe SARU meant they will feel better if a 'non-white' selects a predominately white team.

Latest posts