• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

And the new french captain is...

<div class='quotemain'>
Ellisalde doesn't strike me as captain material, his form can be too hot and cold and is his place even guaranteed for the upcoming Six Nations?
[/b]

Agreed, imo you need a captain with a bit of physical presence. Not the smallest man in the team shouting at you.. [/b][/quote]

Elissalde may be the smallest man in the team, but he's charismatic, clever, good talker and also a good leader of his pack.

Concerning his form, he's actually ahead Kelleher. Like someone else said it's 50/50 between him and Elissalde, but lately JBE was playing for the big games. Kelleher started very well (great games against Stade Français, or Leinster at Toulouse) but he seems to decline since 2-3 matchs. Morevover, JBE is a goalkicker, that gives him an advantage.

He could have been a good captain but Nallet is a good choice too. The man is not a great talker but he's quiet, imposing, he has a true aura.

I realy don't know about this new captain, this new team and this new staff.
Can't be worse than laporte. Wait and see.

<div class='quotemain'>
Ellisalde doesn't strike me as captain material, his form can be too hot and cold and is his place even guaranteed for the upcoming Six Nations?
[/b]

Agreed, imo you need a captain with a bit of physical presence. Not the smallest man in the team shouting at you.. [/b][/quote]

I completely disagree. Since when does being small mean you can't be a leader? I won't go back to Napoleon, but you are discounting a definite French tradition of scrum-half captains: Fouroux, Berbizier, Galthie, even Yachvili... Heck, even Dawson has captained the English XV 9 times!
If anything, I find him a bit too aggressive. But he certainly has the poise, the keen understanding of the game, good control over his pack, and of course the skills.

As for him warming the bench for Kelleher, it is a joke. It must have been obvious to any rugby supporter that Ellisalde is a better scrum-half than the Kiwi. The only reasons why Ellisalde has been on the bench is that he is more versatile (he was a fly-half when he arrived in Toulouse) and Noves doesn't want to wear him out. Still, a fly-half (Larkham anybody? Or Skrela soon...) would have been a much better acquisition.

Nallet was one of the best French players for the world cup but that Laporte weirdo never selected him. Chabal shouldn’t even been in the group for the RWC. He didn’t bring anything to the team except that dumb useless popularity.

It’s an interesting choice made by Lievremont. Mayb he won’t be fit for 2011 RWC but he can bring a lot at least for the next 2 years and he we can’t let him apart from the blue jersey. Lievremont prepared a good mix of old and new players. Unfortunately, I couldn’t watch the game against Scotland this week-end, I let you guys judge Nallet’s captain skills.

Yeah, he had done a great job during the two first matches of the 6 nations competition.

Nallet learnt his rugby in Bourg en bresse (club USB=Union Sporting Bressane), then moved to Bourgoin and Castres. The USB is regularly in the play off to get promoted to pro D2 (3 years in a row they missed the promotion) but are always top of their pool in federal 1.

Born 1976, lock but can play at 8 too.

Nallet is in my view an excellent choice as captain because he is such a cool head. Never concedes penalty, never retaliates, never sent to the sin bin.

Ellisalde is too cheeky and full or trickery to be a captain. In the great tradition of scrum half/captain/coach (Fouroux, Berbizier, Galthie,...), Ellissalde is calling the tactical choice while Nallet is leading by exanple.

Yeah I'm shocked. I was 100% sure it woulda been Ellisalde. I know Nallet is a good player, f*** knows if he's a good leader or not though.
[/b]

i doubt mignoni will be in the french team for a long time...he's recently criticised the coach and loads of new 9's have appeared like morgan parra who's only 19 !! hisproblem is that he doesnt reli kick!

So what is the verdict on Nallet? I think he has done well as Captain for France and has really knuckled down, leading from the front. Just what you need from a captain.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 27 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So what is the verdict on Nallet? I think he has done well as Captain for France and has really knuckled down, leading from the front. Just what you need from a captain.[/b]

I think so ! Nallet did a good join since his nomination as a captain. He also do a great job in Castres which has a lot of difficulties at this time in the TOP 14 Orange.

Chabal did a great match against wallabies on saturday the 22nd but hasn't leadership. He is just an icon for France, nice Icon :p.

If Nallet is nore more picked in the future (he's in pretty bad shape since the beginning of the season, but he was injured and he needs time I think) I'd give the job to indisputable players like Dusautoir, Elissalde or Jauzion. Seems that Lievremont had the same idea, they both were skipper after Nallet's replacement during the autumn internationals.

I think that if Lionel Nallet was choose as French team captain it's that he deserve it, the lost of players after the WC like Betsen,Pelous,Ibanez,De Villiers ... was very hard for France and I hope for them that Nallet will be a great captain like Pelous or Ibanez

chabal could not be captain. he is a good player but hasn't got enough influence on the players

Latest posts