• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andy Powell off to League

I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like Fissler special, especially the "done deal" quote. Someone on the Sale fans forum said "imagine if he went to wigan" and now this...

Doesn't make sense for Wigan to want him,either - if Crusaders were still in SL then I could see it, but why would one of (if not the) top sides in SL take a punt on a 30+ yr old Union player who's not played League before.

I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like Fissler special, especially the "done deal" quote. Someone on the Sale fans forum said "imagine if he went to wigan" and now this...

Doesn't make sense for Wigan to want him,either - if Crusaders were still in SL then I could see it, but why would one of (if not the) top sides in SL take a punt on a 30+ yr old Union player who's not played League before.

You may be right. After all, he was supposedly to move to the Celtic Crusaders Rugby League side a couple years ago (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8695732.stm) and that never materialised. Is he out of contract at Sale at the end of the season?

Yeah, we initially didn't offer him a contract (apparently no one did) and then have done recently.

Apparently Wigan have offered him twice as much cash on a 3 year deal. Still seems really strange to me - if they're offering him decent money why not use this money to get an actual League prop (presumably) rather than someone who's going to need to learn the game in the latter stages of his career.

It would be much easier to believe if it wasn't Wigan, although I guess that equally, the bigger clubs have less to worry about when taking risks...

He's perfectly suited for League imo. Bit late in the day though.

At 31 its a bit late but I think Powell could be a decent League player. He reminds me of Eorl Crabtree in his build and style of play. I don't see this as an experiment from Wigan, I think to offer a 31 year old established Union player a 3 year deal means they have a viable plan to use him effectivley.

Good luck to him.

I agree with that - I've said in the past he'd make a good League prop, just never expected it to the be Wigan!

Wouldn't say overrated more he let off-field events affect his game.

He was, a few years ago everyone was talking about impact subs and he was a poor mans Chabel. Compare him to the current top 6 Welsh back row players and you see how poor he was.

I always had a soft spot for Powelly, mostly those because he was a bit mad. Sad to see him go, but he'll probably suit and enjoy League, I remember him saying he wanted to make the switch while he was still at the Blues.

Powelly had one decent game against South Africa early in his international career and then all of a sudden he was hyped by the Welsh media and others as the Lions number 8. He soon got found out as being pretty poor and error prone and he should never have made the tour in the first place.

A while ago I read a post from Draggs about Powell saying "if they turned the Millennium Stadium 90 degrees then he might be effective". I couldn't have put it any more perfectly than that.

diapoea77ec2accf7da8ce0a7623b0dcee3de.gif

Probably still had a big positive influence on that Lions squad. He's just hilarious! I'll always consider him a bit of a legend, not for the rugby, but for everything else.

Probably still had a big positive influence on that Lions squad. He's just hilarious! I'll always consider him a bit of a legend, not for the rugby, but for everything else.

Yeah i agree i have a real soft spot for players like powell as they just look mental, it always nice to have a player who doesnt give a sh*t about smashing someone haha, hes like the blonde neil best.

Yeah i agree i have a real soft spot for players like powell as they just look mental, it always nice to have a player who doesnt give a sh*t about smashing someone haha, hes like the blonde neil best.

Unfair comparison, most people like Powell.

The local press in Wigan seem to think this is going to happen still.

Manchester Evening News is reporting it as a done deal now, and they're usually pretty spot on with regards to Sale news.

Be interesting to see how he goes. Given who he's signed for I hope he's a spectacular failure!

Latest posts