• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andy Robinson Quits as Scotland Coach

Sean Lineen should get the job, but I have a horrible feeling that the SRU (being the SRU) will give it to Gregor Townsend. God save us.

I never knew that i had always Assumed that paterson had toured with them.

I think scotland have had a problem like italy they have around 5 or 6 World class players about 8 decent international players and around 2 or 3 just not up to test match rugby. they always seem to be ok in scrums from what i can remember but have sometimes struggled to find a replacement for sunday games with murray unavailable at tighthead

No offence to Scotland but I don't think they have five truly world class players. I'd rate Gray, maybe Visser as world class. I know I'm also thinking of another player but I can't quite think of him.

Scott Johnson was a pretty naff head coach when he was with the USA Eagles. He had just 6 games in charge, won 1 on them (against Uruguay), and lost the other 5 (and didn't come within 7 in any of them not even against Tier 2 nations Canada and Japan, and was tonked by England and Ireland A). And to finish off his time in charge of the USA, he took along their most impressive young player named Hanno Dirksen and brought him to the Ospreys where he now refuses to play for them and is lost to USA rugby for good. So from the USA's point of view, he was an utterly shi*t head coach.

His record with Wales as caretaker head coach is also played 3, lost 2, and one draw at home to Italy. So in total he has won one game as national head coach. Some in Wales weren't fans of his time with the Ospreys either and many consider his tenure a failure, so it is debatable as to whether he can be any more than an a assistant coach.

His finest moment as a coach was during the 2001 Lions tour, where he overheard the Lions lineout calls as water boy on the touchline and relayed them to Justin Harrison who then nicked the Lions lineout as they were trying to score in the dying minutes.

Last edited:
No offence to Scotland but I don't think they have five truly world class players. I'd rate Gray, maybe Visser as world class. I know I'm also thinking of another player but I can't quite think of him.

Probably world class is the wrong phrase but sort of stand out above the rest of the team players. if you know what i mean sort of the 'parisse and castrogiovanni's of italy and the fernandez lobe's and contepomi"s of argentina. and with scotland it is gray, denton on his day i would say, visser, hogg looks like he could be in a year or two. and paterson about 5 to 10 years ago

Another inside job by Scott Johnson.
How many has he seen out now?

Where that man goes, bodies are left in the wake.

Probably world class is the wrong phrase but sort of stand out above the rest of the team players. if you know what i mean sort of the 'parisse and castrogiovanni's of italy and the fernandez lobe's and contepomi"s of argentina. and with scotland it is gray, denton on his day i would say, visser, hogg looks like he could be in a year or two. and paterson about 5 to 10 years ago

Hogg could be, I also rate Laidlaw when he's on form.

Latest posts