• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Annual SA rugby awards ceremony

B

BokMagic

On Wednesday night, the annual SA rugby awards ceremony will take placeat Santon, Johannesburg. The nominees are as follows:

Player of the year: Bryan Habana, Victor Matfield, Fourie Du Preez, Juan Smith, Percy Montgomery

Super-14 Player of the year: Fourie Du Preez, Victor Matfield, Bryan Habana, JP Pietersen, Wikus Van Heerden

Currie Cup Player of the year: Willem De Waal, Rory Kockott, Richardt Strauss, Corniel Van Zyl, Adi Jacobs

Most promising player: Frans Steyn, Heinke V D Merwe, JP Pietersen, Richardt Strauss, Ryan Kankowski

Vodacom Cup Player of the year: Zane Kirchner, Conrad Barnard, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Lodie Britz, Jacques Burger

Try of the year: Bryan Habana (winning try, S14 final), Bryan Habana (1st try, SA vs. Samoa, RWC), Odwa Ndungane (Sharks vs. Crusaders, S14), Bryan Habana (1st try, SA vs. Arg, RWC semi), Ryno Benjamin (Lions vs. Cheetahs, CC)

So who will win what gents?

Wow, Habana has got quite the advantage for try of the year eh ?

Habana will probably take SA player of the year.
Currie cup player might be Rory Kockott, I'm not too sure though, wasn't fully following teh Currie cup (except for the Province games) with all the World cup stuff going on.

Most promising should proabably be a tossup between Steyn and Heinke.

I thought Jacques burger, Zane Kirchner and Conrad Barnard play Currie cup not Vodacom cup ?

Ja, I think Habana will win the player of the year hands down. I`d like Matfield to take the S14 player award, he`s just been so good at every level, consistently every single year, without getting the recognition of these awards. Plus he was the winning S14 captain. Even though he plays for the wrong team :ranting: .

CC player of the year- the most worthy candidate for me is Corniel Van Zyl, he`s been an absolute standout for the Cheetahs the whole season, a tower of strength in the lineouts, the tight loose, as well as a couple of flashes of open play brilliance. But it`ll probably go to De Waal.

And yup, you`re right- Barnard, Kirchner and Burger all played CC. But also apparently Vodacom Cup. I say apparently, because except to check up on the depth at WP, I don`t generally get too excited about what happens at VC level.

Ja, De Waal will probably get CC player of the year. Top point scorer 3 seasons in a row now hey? But I agree 100% with you on Van Zyl, that guy is a mountain in the line-out and his work rate in general play is amazing. If he keeps this up in the S14, he'll be giving Muller some hectic competition for the no.5 jersey Matfield will be leaving.

I'm quite interested to see how heavily the CC will influence 'Most promising player' award. It will be between Steyn, van der Merwe and Pietersen IMO. V D Merwe had a storming CC, Pietersen had a great S14 (top try scorer) and impressed in France, and Steyn... well he's just so promising, eventhough he hasn't contributed much points. I reckon Pietersen will take this award, he has just proved himself on all levels.

Vodacom cup player of the year: Zane Kirchner
sevens player of the year : Mzwandile stick
Most promising player: Francois Steyn
Currie Cup Player of the year: Willem De Waal
Super-14 Player of the year: Fourie Du Preez
Player of the year: Bryan habana

Supersport try of the year: Bryan habana Super 14 final

Cheers Boggle, was just about to put that up. But I just can`t seem to remember who got the player`s player of the year?

No real suprises there for me, although I really thought JP Pietersen was gonna get the most promising player award. I just feel he has done more on paper than Steyn (more try and such), although Steyn does more for the team (creativity and such).

Well done to all the players

Bit off topic here but i was looking at some of the lineout stats from the 03 world cup and Matfield absoloutely owned everyone its just the team was a bit disjointed elsewhere. He nicked something like 36% of Englands ball at the lineout similar to this year, basically he is by far the best exponent of the lineout not just recently but in the last 4 or so years. If it wasnt for Habana i would give player of the year to big Vic.

Right on the money there Schalk. That`s the one thing that irks me a bit- that Vic didn`t get the S14 player of the year award especially, as he was equally dominant in that particular competition.

The major difference between `03 and `07, as you`ve pointed out, wasn`t really the quality of players. It was the quality of coaching. In `07, the Boks had a coach with a plan, with a vision, and most importantly, a bunch of blokes who would go to war for him, and for each other. In `03 we had Matfield, Botha, Burger, Smit, Smith, Fourie etc. Plus we had James, Montgomery and Du Randt available, although not selected. But we also had Kamp Staaldraad and Rudi fecking Straueli :wall:

Latest posts