• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(Another) Football v's Rugby Video ;)

Great vid noikz and a good start to the forum too. One thing in your vid is that you showed some tackles from rugby which also caused injuries eg. Johansson's neck hook on Mortlock. I agree with your point in this vid that footballers act like girls but are there any real injuries that occur? I'm pretty sure there are.

Must the man make a totally objective video?
Can this not be perceived as tongue in cheek and taken humorously as intended?

but are there any real injuries that occur [in football]? I'm pretty sure there are.[/b]

There are injuries in netball, doesn't mean it's not a girls sport...

Is it a crime to like football and rugby? I dont enjoy people diving and such but you have to be more talented to play football. Rugby you basically run into people.

RBS, stop using Everton as an example, they are **** mate. If you want some harsh football tackles look at Roy Keane and Eric Cantona

Is it a crime to like football and rugby? I dont enjoy people diving and such but you have to be more talented to play football. Rugby you basically run into people.

RBS, stop using Everton as an example, they are **** mate. If you want some harsh football tackles look at Roy Keane and Eric Cantona
[/b]

******** do you need to be more talented to play football. There is no way you can have watched enough rugby, or apprecicated the skill levels involved in order to say that.

Modern rugby players have to be able to use both hands and feet, while often making decisions in fractions of a second. I don't deny the skill levels of professional footballers, but they are no greater than on parity with their oval ball game counterparts.

Your knowledge of football clearly needs honing as well though if you consider guys like Duncan Ferguson soft. He may not have been as good a footballer, but he'd flatten Cantona in a second.

I never said he was soft, i just said if you want a picture of a hard tackle look for Roy Keane and Cantona because they have high profile tackles. Draw your own conclusions.

I can use both hands and feet when playing rugby and make a decision fast, maybe not that fast, but you still need more skill to play football.

How is there 'more' skill? It's a completely different sport... What you're saying is I need "more" skill to win a frame of Snoker then I do for a Formula 1 Grand Prix.

I can use both hands and feet when playing rugby and make a decision fast, maybe not that fast, but you still need more skill to play football.
[/b]

Why?

That's used no argument other than 'because I said so'.

Let's use an example of Ali Williams. The guy is a fantastic lineout jumper, has great hands, can tackle, is good in open play, a top scrummaging lock - and then he has the added ability of being able to kick, as shown by his perfect cross field punt for Doug Howlett to score a couple of seasons back.

Ronaldinho may be able to do great things with a perfectly round ball at his feet, but he doesn't combine anywhere near the range of high level skills.

Fair point, its just personal opinion i guess. I played rugby before i got into football and im just saying i think you need more skill. Those things i could learn, maybe not excel, whereas i doubt i could ever do anything like buckteeth

Look at it anotherway; On his day Spencer can do anything with a Rugby ball and on his day Sloth can do anything with a football. Neither could do it in the other mans sport though.

Although Spencer may not roll around on the floor like a big girl every time someone comes within 10 feet of him...

I played rugby before i got into football and im just saying i think you need more skill.
[/b]

and that statement, my young ball loving friend is the key to why you believe more skills are required with football than with rugby. I would think you were much younger when you started developing skills to use in rugby, and therfore you found it easier compared to how you find learning football skills now.

It's the same thing with a language, the younger the child the easier they will speak a language, once you get a little older everything gets harder.

I could argue that French requires more consentration to speak, a more flexible tongue etc, but that would simply be a misgeneralisation which stems from the fact that I have to learn to speak the language as an adult. Naturally I compare it to the languages I have spoken all my life since being a child, but the trick the mind pulls on you is that the conscious mind didn't really learn to speak the mother tongue, it filtered through it like a dream surrounded. Now if I was French I'd have told you that English or Afrikaans requires more skill to speak.

I bet you're a better rugby player than you are a footballer eh? If you had learned to play football instead of rugby, you would've most probably said the opposite to what you are saying now.

I think people have argued well enough without me having to butt in, but i just have to make my voice heard on one issue.

One of the stupidest things i have ever read: -

I dont enjoy people diving and such but you have to be more talented to play football. Rugby you basically run into people.
[/b]

:wall:

^ Im sure thats what you do to try and get to the tryline when you are a forward? Pick and drive?

I actually am better at football than i am at rugby. I am only 16 remember so there has not been a big gap between me swapping trades. If opportunities had gone my way i may have even been capped like my friend at under 17's level. Basically from a young age i played rugby and only recently have got back into it. But its a big step up when the last game you played was on a half-sized pitch with only 7 players and then your thrown in at full XV's and put in at centre then flanker then hooker.

I dunno anymore, people have changed my view slighty thanks to peoples arguements and ill agree with it being hard to compare skill at sports so different but i still think football needs more skill but that is just an opinion nothing more nothing less.

...but i still think football needs more skill but that is just an opinion nothing more nothing less.
[/b]

You're more than entitled to your opinion, but logic declares your argument is invalid. You can't need more skill for football than you do at rugby when totally different skills are needed.
I hear your argument: wider range of skills/concentrated and higher lever of talent needed for specific skills etc. etc. But you just can't go making those claims. They are illogical.

But a lot of respect for holding your hands up and saying your initial view has altered slightly.

Duncan would batter someone like Grewcock

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmPqfeBLRAA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmPqfeBLRAA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

foot ball has changed especially over the last 5 years, there were hardmen in football...of course there were, playing for the cause never going down, ruthless and hard as ****

but

the game has been infected with this bullsh!t cheating - diving, trying to get the other team booked and the real hardmen of football have been pushed out of the game as the "allowed" level of contact has become smaller

I was having a chat about this with a mate of mine, he's a die hard football fan but even he agreed that the game is being too influenced by commercial interest, every week coaches are criticising ref's, other coaches and players, you read more about the drama's off the pitch than you do the actual game

Great video Noikz
[/b]

Sorry bout the change in topi but why the name change?I prefferred Rugby's a religion, it kicked ass and gave your posts an enourmous air of credibility. Bah is well, uhm bah.

the game has been infected with this bullsh!t cheating - diving, trying to get the other team booked and the real hardmen of football have been pushed out of the game as the "allowed" level of contact has become smaller
[/b]

Sadly, the age of real hardman footballers ended somewhere towards the back of the 1970s.

Norman Hunter - now there was a player you wouldn't want to cross.

There have obviously been exceptions since them, but modern football doesn't really seem to encorporate the role of the enforcer. Certainly not to the same extent.

Considering Joohn Terry is the only 'hardman' in modern football, you're not far wrong there.

Latest posts