• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another Wallaby Joins Force

N

nik

Exciting Wallaby winger-fullback Drew Mitchell has moved from Queensland to the Western Force in a three-year deal starting next season.

Coming hot on the heels of the massive deal to lure Brumbies star Matt Gietau west, the Perth franchise is fast assembling a far more competitive backline for coach John Mitchell to work with.

He will help give the Force some real strike power, something they have lacked in the debut season of the Rebel Sport Super 14 where they lie bottom of the table with two draws and 9 losses.

The 22-year-old was the Queensland Reds' leading tryscorer last year before posting a five-pointer on his Wallaby debut against South Africa, and finishing the 2005 test season with 10 caps and six tries.

He has played 34 Super rugby games for the Reds and scored nine tries.

RugbyWA chief executive Peter O'Meara said the former Australian under-21 captain was a fantastic signing for the Western Force and along with Giteau would significantly boost the team's backline strength.

"He's not only versatile - being able to play at fullback, either wing or at outside centre - Drew is young and we'll help him reach his full potential and he'll be a key part of our long term future," he said.

"We're delighted he has made the move for football and lifestyle reasons, not financial ones."

Mitchell said he had received three similar offers but had decided to move to Perth because of the rugby program, the lifestyle and the opportunity to link up with old mates.

"I'm looking forward to catching up with Nathan (Sharpe), Junior (Pelesasa), Matt (Henjak), Shep (Cameron Shepherd) and Gits (Matt Giteau) at a team which has shown plenty of promise this year and will definitely have a good crack next year," he said.

Force coach John Mitchell described his latest recruit as having spacial awareness that created opportunities for others.

"He's an outside threat, who is very quick and has a good left foot kicking game," he said.

"He'll be part of a fantastic combination in the back three - whichever role he plays - along with the likes of Cameron Shepherd."

Mitchell said recruitment of the Wallaby winger was just another example of the club's determination to establish the right player mix.[/b]

We now have one of the best backline's in the Super14....

9.O'Young/Henjak
10.Mackay/Hilgendorf
11.Ioane
12.Giteau
13.Staniforth
14.Mitchell
15.Sheperd

Pelesasa cant even get a spot in the starting 15.

Are all these big name players like Mitchell and Giteau going to the Force purely for the money, or do they actually have a realistic chance of winning the S14 anytime in the next few years?

no...they just have a chance of increasing there win count

"We now have one of the best backline's in the Super14...."

hahahhaa..joke of the year,im expecting mitchell at centre and gitz at 10..there backline aint that great nor they will be the best next year..but potentially they cab be one of the better backlines...i wanna see stapleton play dammit

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@May 7 2006, 06:43 AM
"We now have one of the best backline's in the Super14...."

hahahhaa..joke of the year
Nah i liked the one you told about the guy that walked into a bar and said the Blues would win the Super14 this year...hahahahahahaa how dumb was he.

They wont have the best backline but they'll be top 5 in terms of talent.

The good thing about that backline is there average age is around 23 and most of them are signed up for 2-3 years...... give em three years together and they could be the next Brumbies.

Are all these big name players like Mitchell and Giteau going to the Force purely for the money, or do they actually have a realistic chance of winning the S14 anytime in the next few years? [/b]

They're joining for a number of reasons...

1.Most people that have watched the Force play this year can see the team has unlimited potential........ give them a few years together and they'll be pushing for the finals.

2.The crowd- playing infront of one of the best crowds in the comp with the biggest membership base in Australia.

3.Lifestyle- living in a beautiful city with great weather ,beaches and a relaxed lifestyle is a major plus.

4.Opportunity- the opportunity to play there prefered positions and increase there chances of a Wallaby spot.

5.Benjamins baby!- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Force is a rich club due to the biggest membership support and corporate sponsorship........ meaning the players are well payed and the team will be ever improving with big signings and quality facilities.

truth..better slow down on the post essays u write..coz guess what..no one reads them

the force will not win the super14 in the next 6 years...they are still kids and west australia need alot more growing in rugby to do..to brew some younger talent

they will get better...guarenteed,they did pretty well this year..with a 3rd string team

i did?..nah i jus saw like a whole bunch of muddled words and dismissed it as ya usual ignorant post

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@May 6 2006, 03:50 PM

9.O'Young/Henjak
10.Mackay/Hilgendorf
11.Ioane
12.Giteau
13.Staniforth
14.Mitchell
15.Sheperd

whatever bro. i'd say the crusaders have the best backline on paper or the hurricanes.

9. Kevin Senio (Ex AB)
10. Dan Carter (AB) IRB player of the year
11. Caleb Ralph (Ex AB)
12. Aaron Mauger (AB)
13. Casey Laulala (Ex AB)
14. Rico Gear (AB)
15. Leon Mcdonald (AB)

9. Piri Weepu (AB)
10. gopperth/holwell
11. Paku
12. Tana Umaga (Ex AB)
13. Ma'a Nonu (AB)
14. Lome Fa'atau (Samoa int)
15. Isaia Toeava (AB)

your backline is nowhere near as good as these two backlines..

Then of course theres the potential of the Blues backline...

...And the Chiefs...

...And of course the Waratahs, the Brumbies.... Any team with Habana is boosted 10 points so the Bulls slot in there...

Originally posted by 187+May 8 2006, 01:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH!!
@May 6 2006, 03:50 PM

9.O'Young/Henjak
10.Mackay/Hilgendorf
11.Ioane
12.Giteau
13.Staniforth
14.Mitchell
15.Sheperd

whatever bro. i'd say the crusaders have the best backline on paper or the hurricanes.

9. Kevin Senio (Ex AB)
10. Dan Carter (AB) IRB player of the year
11. Caleb Ralph (Ex AB)
12. Aaron Mauger (AB)
13. Casey Laulala (Ex AB)
14. Rico Gear (AB)
15. Leon Mcdonald (AB)

9. Piri Weepu (AB)
10. gopperth/holwell
11. Paku
12. Tana Umaga (Ex AB)
13. Ma'a Nonu (AB)
14. Lome Fa'atau (Samoa int)
15. Isaia Toeava (AB)

your backline is nowhere near as good as these two backlines.. [/b]
I said one of the best..... maybe top 5 but with a heap of potential(average age of 22/23)

Brumbies and Tahs currently have better backlines then the Crusaders...

and the Hurricanes backline is nowhere near the best.

9.Gregan > Ellis/Senio
10.Larkham - Carter
11.Gerrard >>>>>> Hamilton
12.Giteau - Mauger
13.Mortlock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ralph
14.Rathbone - Gear
15. Ashley-Cooper < Mcdonald

9.Whitaker - Weepu
10.Rogers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Howell/Goperth
11.Tuqiri > Fa'atau
12.Norton-Knight < Umaga( but on this years form Sam has been much better, Umaga seems to have lost it, but on reputation he's far better)
13.Tirunui - Nonu
14.Sailor>>>>>>Paku
15.Hewat>>>>>>Toaeva

lol sure thing the truth.

carter is miles ahead of larkham now and is clearly the best first five in the world.

and on current form I would rate gear ahead of rathbone easily.

weepu I would rate ahead of whitaker not by much but enough to give it to weepu.

tuqiri and fa'atau i would rate even at worst if not in fa'atau's favour

Umaga is miles ahead of norton-knight you need a few more <'s there

Nonu easily ahead of turinui. nowhere near being equal

sailor paku yeah fair enough there. sailor has been playing well this year

hewat and toeava is fairly close I would say hewat proabbly ahead because he can kick better.

now we could bring the blues into this or even the chiefs but then it's not really a contest. blues have dougie rokocko mcAlister nacewa and chiefs have the likes of mils. sammy and sivivatu. so to bring them into this is unfair on the other teams

Originally posted by esoj@May 8 2006, 08:32 AM
Fa'atau has no defense, and Tuquiri is world class.

Very even.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+May 9 2006, 04:54 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@May 8 2006, 08:32 AM
Fa'atau has no defense, and Tuquiri is world class.

Very even. [/b]
he can be but tuqiri has been quite bad in the super 14 this year. fa'atau can also create and finish very well and often score from something out of nothing. well on their they can be even but atm i would put fa'atau ahead of tuqiri.

sailor on the other hand has been in great form. always looking dangerous with ball in hand.

Mitchell will play fullback. When he signed they would've given him a guarantee of playing fullback to lure him over there.

Latest posts