Another Weather Question

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hello, my friends,

I'd love someone to weigh in on this, this question has really been on my mind recently...

If two sides were to meet on a neutral pitch, and the weather was particularly poor (heavy rain, etc.), which nation would have the greatest advantage? Or perhaps, the least disadvantage?

Thanks, everyone,

-David

Probably Ireland,

With the exception of hooker there's no weakness in their pack and they have the best kicking halfbacks in the world.

A team with a big pack (England, France, Boks). Sides with weaker packs (Scotland & Italy) will usually always struggle if up against big boys in the rain.

Sides that have tactical nous and decent kicking and are used to playing in crap weather (so I agree on Ireland). If you are obsessed with playing with ball in hand (Oz, Japan, Fiji and even possibly ABs with BB at FH) you will also likely struggle.

A bit of an oversimplification, but that's what I'm here for.

Naturally, this is better and more specific information than I'd actually thought I was looking for...

I was (no doubt simple mindedly) about something like, "England has the highest amount of rain each year, so the English are less bothered by playing in it," or something much less tactical... guess I'm showing my newbie colors :p

Naturally, this is better and more specific information than I'd actually thought I was looking for...

I was (no doubt simple mindedly) about something like, "England has the highest amount of rain each year, so the English are less bothered by playing in it," or something much less tactical... guess I'm showing my newbie colors :p
To be fair that does help - familiarity in poor conditions is a big part of it, and also a big part in how players develop.

A forward who spends half the year picking and driving in thick mud in the pouring rain in Ireland is going to fair better in those conditions than an Aussie forward who spends the same time playing touch rugby in the sunshine. Same reason why SH forwards, for the most part, have better handling and footwork than their NH counterparts.

Gratifying, thanks as always, my friend. Your insights have really helped me get a better grip on the game over the last few months. :)

Latest posts