• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anybody else missing "World in Union"?

It always amuses me that they stole the tune from I Vow to Thee My Country. During the 1991 world cup I was forced to go to church and when they started singing the hymn I thought they were singing the rugby world cup anthem 😅

Just priming everyone for England actually having their own anthem in the near future.

Still not a patch on the 1995 version but I guess that's the first version I heard also the first time I heard the tune so I get confused when when I vow to thee my country plays. I guess lyrically there's something more to the 1995 version anyway due to being part of post apartheid SA.

Personally I love the lyrics as well they're simple but speak to sporting ideals, world cups and well as more global things in a generalised way.

Top marks to the guy who thought of it.

Still not a patch on the 1995 version but I guess that's the first version I heard also the first time I heard the tune so I get confused when when I vow to thee my country plays. I guess lyrically there's something more to the 1995 version anyway due to being part of post apartheid SA.

Personally I love the lyrics as well they're simple but speak to sporting ideals, world cups and well as more global things in a generalised way.

Top marks to the guy who thought of it.
PJ Powers, was one of the best versions with the background choir

Last edited:
Thanks, that's a good one

Much better than Florence Welch
Did Floerence do one? I think your mixing up Paloma Faith.

After Welch's Stand By Me I can't imagine she'd butcher it like Paloma did.

It always amuses me that they stole the tune from I Vow to Thee My Country. During the 1991 world cup I was forced to go to church and when they started singing the hymn I thought they were singing the rugby world cup anthem 😅

Just for you

I love/hate the song. It's beautiful but i can't think of another tune that provokes such a volume of mixed feelings.

Latest posts