• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZAC XV - would you be for it?

Would you support an ANZAC XV?

• Yes - great idea!

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Yes - only if the Boks and/or other SH players are included.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
Hey, if its not under the auspices of the NZRFU they could pick whatever NZers / Aussies they want eh? So the team could look pretty awesome:

1. Woodcock
2. Mealamu
3. Franks
4. Thorn
5. Retalick
6. Kaino
7. Cane
8. Reid
9. Smith
10. Carter
11. Gear the younger
12. SBW
13. Smith
14. Sivivatu
15. Dagg

Bench
Hayman, Hore, Whitelock, McCaw, Genia, Evans and Ica Naciwa

I read your other post on the ANZAC thing, kind of can't agree with your viewpoint, though I do respect it. Whether the campaign they fought was pointless or not, the ANZAC soldiers didn't have much to do with that decision making. They just jumped on boats and went to the other side of the world to essentially fight and give their lives to protect the Allies' interests. Pretty brave stuff and I definitely think it is something to respect and acknowledge every year, I always get up and go to the dawn service.

Yeah I'm certainly not trying to dismiss their courage, just I don't feel that this specific campaign is something to celebrate. As I said, I personally prefer Rememberance Day, as it celebrates the end of WW1 and all the soldiers who gave their lives for it.

Personally I like the idea of an ANZAC team but if it is a no go what about a North-South Match to be played after each RWC or as the curtain raiser to RWC final and made up of players from teams that obviously not in the final?

Nobody answered my question. Who exactly would the ANZAC team be planning to play? (I'd imagine they'd need pretty strong opposition to make it a worthwhile match) And where exactly were they going to fit this into the schedule?

Nobody answered my question. Who exactly would the ANZAC team be planning to play? (I'd imagine they'd need pretty strong opposition to make it a worthwhile match) And where exactly were they going to fit this into the schedule?

Apparently Germany, Italy and Japan has shown interest to make a combined team to play against the ANZAC team...

Nah we beat them in the 1945 series and at least it isn't the Turks this time, they put up too much of a fight last time although we did have that clown Churchill as a coach which should not be a problem this time.

Which is the problem with the ANZAC's idea as the only real option is to organise them along the lines of the Lions, I think a North - South match is probably an easier option.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm certainly not trying to dismiss their courage, just I don't feel that this specific campaign is something to celebrate. As I said, I personally prefer Rememberance Day, as it celebrates the end of WW1 and all the soldiers who gave their lives for it.

ANZAC day isn't really just about Gallipoli though is it?
ANZAC day celebrates the memory of all those who have fought for AUSSIE and NZ.

I like the idea of a one off game, could match them up vs the rest of the world.

Hypothetically; the Lions, maybe SA; and do a reverse and play NH teams.

It shouldn't really get people too worked up though. It was merely an idea that is floating about. :)

Not strictly opposed to the idea, but if we go ahead with it then I think the current schedule will need to be changed. We've already got a busy rugby calendar, you can't just keep adding and adding games. What will end up happening is you'll burn players out and risk even making people more sick of rugby. Give them a chance to miss it. But if you substitute something for it, then that would be an interesting discussion. But that won't happen because the incentive for the rugby boards to do the idea would be to generate more cash.

Not strictly opposed to the idea, but if we go ahead with it then I think the current schedule will need to be changed. We've already got a busy rugby calendar, you can't just keep adding and adding games. What will end up happening is you'll burn players out and risk even making people more sick of rugby. Give them a chance to miss it. But if you substitute something for it, then that would be an interesting discussion. But that won't happen because the incentive for the rugby boards to do the idea would be to generate more cash.
It doesn't have to be a yearly thing, and I don't think that was suggested.

If anything, it will/should be like how the B&I Lions are scheduled, an have the scheduling for that year altered.

You know, like they do in WC years...

Not sure what team they would play. Maybe the Lions, but that's two years before the next Lions tour hmm...

But regarding the scheduling, there's usually a Baa-Baas game in the November internationals isn't there? So just have it instead of that and play it at Wembley or something, maybe the Olympic stadium for extra prestige.

Latest posts