• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Backline Dilemma for Gatland in the British Lions Team

How did he win it hands down when he was far less successful in attack?

Was Ford's tackle on Webb forcing the forwards pass to Biggar any less of a try saver than Biggar's own intercept on the try line?

I'm a massive fan of ford but he was made to look worse as he was targeted in defence by Wales. Lost of lot of metres due to his frame. Biggar had a super game. Got the backline playing better than they have in about 18 months. Fords pass to Farrell was absolutely superb but overall he was fairly anonymous (not necessarily his fault as we were on the back foot at the breakdown for big chunks of the game). I just think he came out on top in most people's estimations if you were to do a poll after the game.

I'm a massive fan of ford but he was made to look worse as he was targeted in defence by Wales. Lost of lot of metres due to his frame. Biggar had a super game. Got the backline playing better than they have in about 18 months. Fords pass to Farrell was absolutely superb but overall he was fairly anonymous (not necessarily his fault as we were on the back foot at the breakdown for big chunks of the game). I just think he came out on top in most people's estimations if you were to do a poll after the game.

I wouldn't say Ford was anonymous, a lot of his delayed, flat passing is what got the English forwards breaking through the Welsh defence and making metres. He didn't do anything that would stand out individually but so much of England's attack goes through Ford that when he isn't there you would notice it. The last 2 games he has been behind a pack that are not on form and a scrum half who has not been giving good ball (and who is responsible for the majority of kicking meaning Ford doesn't make the choice).

I think when the forwards are playing properly and we get our injury replacements back, we will really see the benefit of Ford. I'd also say that having Robson at 9 rather than Youngs would help too. However in defence teams are beginning to finally make good their promises to target Ford and the current pack aren't protecting him as well as Haskell and Robshaw could.

I'm sure Biggar would win that poll because he had the highlights reel moments but if people were to go and watch closely which fly-half was actually pulling the strings more effectively, I'm pretty sure everyone will say Ford. I don't see how any fly-half whose team only score one try at home despite 50-50 shares of possession and territory can be said to have a super game and having watched the game twice, I don't see how anyone could keep an eye closely on Biggar and say he had a super game either. He flat out didn't.

As for defence - the line bent but never broke and Ford made some key contributions. Although I'm guessing a lot of people missed those as well.

I'm sure Biggar would win that poll because he had the highlights reel moments but if people were to go and watch closely which fly-half was actually pulling the strings more effectively, I'm pretty sure everyone will say Ford. I don't see how any fly-half whose team only score one try at home despite 50-50 shares of possession and territory can be said to have a super game and having watched the game twice, I don't see how anyone could keep an eye closely on Biggar and say he had a super game either. He flat out didn't.

As for defence - the line bent but never broke and Ford made some key contributions. Although I'm guessing a lot of people missed those as well.

I certainly see your point. Biggar was also under alot of pressure before the game with many calling for Sam Davies to start so when he had his best game for ages and the Wales backline functioned better than it has done in about 18 months, he was (rightly) given alot of credit.

Out of the two, I would always pick Ford if the pack had acendency of even parity, but if you're under the cosh for good swathes of the game, Biggar does steady the ship and also puts in a decent defensive performance. Would have been interesting to speculate if Ford had been playing for Wales last weekend, would they have won at a canter?

Especially when you consider he played no role in their sole try.

Fairly sure Ford did alright under the cosh last summer :p But yes, swapping fly-halves would have been (imo) fatal to the England team. Although I'd also say the same about Dan Cole and the hookers as boy their set-piece creaked at the wrong moments.

wVYcyAx.jpg

#denny14lions

Fairly sure Ford did alright under the cosh last summer :p But yes, swapping fly-halves would have been (imo) fatal to the England team. Although I'd also say the same about Dan Cole and the hookers as boy their set-piece creaked at the wrong moments.

Billy Haskell and Robshaw did pretty well to secure quick ball in the summer though. And Youngs wasn't playing like a geriatric. Last weekend was much much slower in that department.

Finn Russell MOTM against Wales and outplaying Whining Dan Biggar has put himself as second choice 10 behind Sexton. Tommy Seymour also looking good for a seat on the plane after showing how great he is in the air and another outstanding finish in the corner.

Part of the problem is what style will Gatland play (as if that is a real question).

For me the 3 fly halves I would take are Sexton, Russell and then Ford or Farrell, depending on if Farrell is picked at centre. Gatland tactics, I can only see Farrell, Biggar and Sexton going. If a fourth, then Russell or Ford, depending on who finishes the 6N's then best.

See Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times, his selection for Lions has a LOT of Welsh players included.

Jones' team is a total hoot
Jones-lineup-formation-tactics.png

Is this a **** take?
Surely yesterday Sexton shone brightest at 10. Especially as he is the best 10 but equally showed his body can take a battering.

The lads on BBC tonight had Peter O'Mahony as favourite to be mid week captain. Interesting Guscott said that was before yesterday whether there's inside knowledge or not.

Hogg is form 15. Liam Williams is up there. In centre Henshaw I think will fill a slot as he's big and powerful and Gatland likes that type of centre. Webb may start over Murray but shouldn't.

Last edited:

Latest posts