• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Backline Dilemma for Gatland in the British Lions Team

Jackson?! Really? I think Biggar, Russell, Farrell (if playing 10) and Ford come ahead of him. I would give him as much chance as Sam Davies.

If I was picking based on the first two 6 nations games Jackson would start, Russell has been awful, Ford isn't playing anywhere near the standard he should be and Biggar still can't move a backline despite being in complete ascendency against. My 10's would be Sexton and Farrell, no one comes too close behind them with PJ as good as any in the chasing pack. He's definitely a better rugby player than Davies and with Ford and Russell going down in my estimations every week and Biggar not being near his RWC form Jackson seems very sensible to me.

I guess there's a big distinction between who we would like to see and who Gatland will pick! In regards to form he maybe third choice but he still won't be picked regardless . The others have too much on the bank.

I guess there's a big distinction between who we would like to see and who Gatland will pick! In regards to form he maybe third choice but he still won't be picked regardless . The others have too much on the bank.

True, I have little interest in who Gatland picks outside of Irish players whom I'd rather not tour but its a fun fantasy exercise to see where him and I differ!

Rather tying yourself in knots to pick two Irish 10s there. If you're picking solely based on the 6 nations then clearly Sexton can't be involved.

Rather tying yourself in knots to pick two Irish 10s there. If you're picking solely based on the 6 nations then clearly Sexton can't be involved.

No I'm not, I said I'd pick Sexton and Farrell and then separately said if it were based on the 6n I'd start Jackson...

To be fair we all know Sexton and Farrell are 1 and 2. After that Hogg may be option 3 again

I'm expecting Ford to magically go up in estimation when he gets to play Italy.

I find he and Jackson share a lot of the same weaknesses. If Sexton isn't back to his best in time I would start Farrell.

If I was picking based on the first two 6 nations games Jackson would start, Russell has been awful, Ford isn't playing anywhere near the standard he should be and Biggar still can't move a backline despite being in complete ascendency against. My 10's would be Sexton and Farrell, no one comes too close behind them with PJ as good as any in the chasing pack. He's definitely a better rugby player than Davies and with Ford and Russell going down in my estimations every week and Biggar not being near his RWC form Jackson seems very sensible to me.

A bit harsh on Russell to say he's been awful. Is that based on 'that conversion' in Paris which was caused by Nathan Hines telling him to hurry up? That was a bruising match and he did ok against Ireland. He certainly wasn't outplayed by Jackson that day. Let's see how he does in the remaining matches although performances against Italy mean very little.

A bit harsh on Russell to say he's been awful. Is that based on 'that conversion' in Paris which was caused by Nathan Hines telling him to hurry up? That was a bruising match and he did ok against Ireland. He certainly wasn't outplayed by Jackson that day. Let's see how he does in the remaining matches although performances against Italy mean very little.

His game management has been seriously weak, his assist for Hogg against Ireland was pure luck and his kicking has been easily dealt with by opposition back threes. Jackson impressed more in the head to head with his impressive second half and has probably been closer to his Autumn form than Russell.

I really don't think missing a conversion under the posts can be excusable whatsoever either... a few poor kicks and bad decisions added to that really cost Scotland.

His game management has been seriously weak, his assist for Hogg against Ireland was pure luck and his kicking has been easily dealt with by opposition back threes. Jackson impressed more in the head to head with his impressive second half and has probably been closer to his Autumn form than Russell.

I really don't think missing a conversion under the posts can be excusable whatsoever either... a few poor kicks and bad decisions added to that really cost Scotland.

LOL you still sound a bit bitter after the first weekend. I didn't see too much luck with assist for Hogg's first try. It was a long pass flung into the right area, took out all the Irish players, wasn't close to being intercepted and Hogg scooped it up and finished it off. So what if it bounced first. Not one commentator or pundit called it luck at the time.

I think most other players would have rushed that conversion if someone from their camp was screaming for them to hurry. The pundits all said the same thing after the match. Easy to say otherwise in hindsight. Last I'm going to say on this as I unlike several on here have better things to do than to bicker or engage into a petty war of words. I fully accept that others' views and opinions may differ from mine. It's all good.

Last edited:
LOL you still sound a bit bitter after the first weekend. I didn't see too much luck with assist for Hogg's first try. It was a long pass flung into the right area, took out all the Irish players, wasn't close to being intercepted and Hogg scooped it up and finished it off. So what if it bounced first. Not one commentator or pundit called it luck at the time.

I think most other players would have rushed that conversion if someone from their camp was screaming for them to hurry. The pundits all said the same thing after the match. Easy to say otherwise in hindsight. Last I'm going to say on this as I unlike several on here have better things to do than to bicker or engage into a petty war of words. I fully accept that others' views and opinions may differ from mine. It's all good.

- Throw losing in face.
- Make weak argument.
- Act superior and leave argument you engaged in.

Top class post their mate...

- Throw losing in face.
- Make weak argument.

I wasn't looking for an argument - maybe that's where we differ. I am able to accept and respect other people's opinions and don't have to bicker or engage in a never ending war of words in order to entertain myself or make myself feel superior.

- Throw losing in face.
- Make weak argument.

There. Ooh you just got slammed, but I'm out of here because I'm tired of this and I have like 12 birds to smash. Don't respond or yer blocked.

Came across some interesting prices for players starting the first test. The ones that stood out to me were
CJ STANDER to start @ 6 was 11/4, they have Haskell @ 2.3/1 fav.
HOGG to start @ 15 was 7/5, (1/2p is 10/3)
BILLY V 11/10 to start at 8.

Three odds against bets for ,imo, just about the 3 most nailed-on starters at the moment.

I'm not convinced Biggar will go. But I imagine he's ahead of Jackson in Gatland's eyes. Will be interesting to see who out of Ford and Biggar is ahead in the kind of Gatland. Pre tournament I would have definitely said ford but Biggar won the head to head hands down

How did he win it hands down when he was far less successful in attack?

Was Ford's tackle on Webb forcing the forwards pass to Biggar any less of a try saver than Biggar's own intercept on the try line?

Gatland is going to need 3x 10's and a back up. I can see the AB's targetting Sexton and him not even completing the first match. George North still worries me too.

Latest posts