• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are my stats good enough for an academy?

mannyo7

Academy Player
I'm currently in year 9(14), I weigh about 70kg, 6ft, and I have a lean body type. I play center, kick for my team, but mainly because the fly half in my team can't kick to save his life. I average about 1-3 tries per game, I can take on at least 2 people in rucks and I only tend to miss 1 or 2 tackles in a game, and I get around 15-20 successful tackles in a game. I am decently fast for my age, I can run 100m in 11.83 seconds. My weaknesses are probably my kicking from tee, I've only kicked once in a match and even though it went in, I have barely practiced. Sometimes I forget to release when I too, but I'll release as soon as the ref says something. School rugby is fun but I want to play with boys who are a bit more skilled. Could you please tell me what I need to do to get into an Academy, or if I even have what it takes?

EDIT: I live in Enfield, North London right now, so I'm hoping for a team near there.

in all seriousness, are you not better to contact academies and ask their criteria? rather than randoms on the internet?

I'm currently in year 9(14), I weigh about 70kg, 6ft, and I have a lean body type. I play center, kick for my team, but mainly because the fly half in my team can't kick to save his life. I average about 1-3 tries per game, I can take on at least 2 people in rucks and I only tend to miss 1 or 2 tackles in a game, and I get around 15-20 successful tackles in a game. I am decently fast for my age, I can run 100m in 11.83 seconds. My weaknesses are probably my kicking from tee, I've only kicked once in a match and even though it went in, I have barely practiced. Sometimes I forget to release when I too, but I'll release as soon as the ref says something. School rugby is fun but I want to play with boys who are a bit more skilled. Could you please tell me what I need to do to get into an Academy, or if I even have what it takes?

EDIT: I live in Enfield, North London right now, so I'm hoping for a team near there.

I live in the USA and don't know much about the rugby academies in England. But I think it's good that you're seeking advice and I wish you all the best in your pursuits.

Last edited:

There's a team near you. They have various age grade teams which generally means some coaching.

If you're good enough, the academies will soon know.

I'd try asking Alex Shaw on Twitter, he's involved with Ealing's Academy, so would probably be able to tell you what you need to do to put yourself in the shop window. When I was your age, the pathway was to get selected for your county by playing well for your school, county players would go in to divisional, then national honours, but that was before academies existed. In my day, club rugby was a definate step up from school rugby and would imagine that this is still the case, so would definately advise you to find a local club with a successful team in your age group. As BrokenWing says, clubs take talent identification pretty seriously these days, so if you put yourself out there and play well, I'd expect academies to come looking for you.

Stat.s aged 14 should be pretty much irrelevant 9and those that are won't be height and weight, but speed and power) - it'll be about skill, drive and getting yourself into the shop window.
The latter involves playing for the right school and getting spotted / put forwards; the first 2 are pretty much inherent.

So I know some guys involved in the academy stuff.
Basically the country is split into academies for the 13 teams (RFU funded academies)
Each Academy has
DPP - Developing player program (13-16)
Then you have the U18 league stuff (16-18)

Most DPP are split within the academies via counties or areas
Tigers for example have 8 DPP centres in
North & South Staffs
East & West Leicester
Nottinghamshire
North Derbyshire
Norfolk
North Lincolnshire
To get a trail for these centres you have to be recommended by teacher or coaches from clubs or schools within those areas.

Being North London I guess you are in the Irish or Sarries academy areas

Another way is through the AASE schemes, which are schools that are partnered with Prem clubs these usually hold open trials and have idk around 30 spots per year I think.
George Martin at Tigers was from a AASE school

There's a team near you. They have various age grade teams which generally means some coaching.

If you're good enough, the academies will soon know.
I actually recently started playing for this team, but I haven't got any game time because of certain issues out of my control, but I'm definitely going to try and play games. They also have a U16 academy I believe.
Stat.s aged 14 should be pretty much irrelevant 9and those that are won't be height and weight, but speed and power) - it'll be about skill, drive and getting yourself into the shop window.
The latter involves playing for the right school and getting spotted / put forwards; the first 2 are pretty much inherent.
Thanks for the advice, what do you mean by the right school though?
in all seriousness, are you not better to contact academies and ask their criteria? rather than randoms on the internet?
I've done this, and I've checked the criteria, but I don't think there is any harm with asking people online, sure they might be strangers but a stranger with information is a friend right?
So I know some guys involved in the academy stuff.
Basically the country is split into academies for the 13 teams (RFU funded academies)
Each Academy has
DPP - Developing player program (13-16)
Then you have the U18 league stuff (16-18)

Most DPP are split within the academies via counties or areas
Tigers for example have 8 DPP centres in
North & South Staffs
East & West Leicester
Nottinghamshire
North Derbyshire
Norfolk
North Lincolnshire
To get a trail for these centres you have to be recommended by teacher or coaches from clubs or schools within those areas.

Being North London I guess you are in the Irish or Sarries academy areas

Another way is through the AASE schemes, which are schools that are partnered with Prem clubs these usually hold open trials and have idk around 30 spots per year I think.
George Martin at Tigers was from a AASE school
I've heard of DPP's and the U18 league stuff you mentioned, will do some more research on that. as for the AASE schemes, I don't believe my school has such programs.

By 'right school', Which is referring to the fact that a significant proportion of Premiership players/internationals typically come from a relatively small amount of schools where their rugby programs are very well regarded. This is definitely an easier way to get noticed as academy scouts would regularly watch games between the top schools.

Before thinking about academies, I'd see how it goes with Enfield Ignatians first as this will give you a much better feel for how good you are relative to other players in your age group.

I'd also stay open-minded when it comes to coaching input. For example, you might find that the coaches see you being more successful in a different position.

By 'right school', Which is referring to the fact that a significant proportion of Premiership players/internationals typically come from a relatively small amount of schools where their rugby programs are very well regarded. This is definitely an easier way to get noticed as academy scouts would regularly watch games between the top schools.

Before thinking about academies, I'd see how it goes with Enfield Ignatians first as this will give you a much better feel for how good you are relative to other players in your age group.

I'd also stay open-minded when it comes to coaching input. For example, you might find that the coaches see you being more successful in a different position.
Yep.
Some schools have ex-pro.s as their PE masters - they get favourable hearings and contacts from that player's club.
Some schools have semi-official relationships with their club - they get favourable hearings and contacts from that club. This is especially true of 6th form. Bath's are largely Beechen Cliff and Millfield - I'd be surprised if less than half Bath's academy kids from the last 5 years came from those 2 schools. I don't know who that would be for Sarries or LIrish, but a flick through the player profiles is likely to tell you.
Some schools regularly feature at the sharp end of the Daily Mail Trophy table - they get their players in the shop window more often.

I also agree with BPM about playing for a club, not just school - it's likely to get better coaching, and between the two, will certainly have more rounded coaching. And also, yes, different coaches will see you in different positions - quite honestly, aged 14, that's a good thing, and you WANT a more rounded experience whilst learning the game (see also, sports outside of rugby)

My weaknesses are probably my kicking from tee, I've only kicked once in a match and even though it went in, I have barely practiced. Sometimes I forget to release when I too, but I'll release as soon as the ref says something. School rugby is fun but I want to play with boys who are a bit more skilled. Could you please tell me what I need to do to get into an Academy, or if I even have what it takes?
Mate, to play good in any sport it's about doing the basics properly really well - to execute all the skill sets well in the position you play you have to put the hard yakka in, by repeatedly practicing them over & over again until it becomes second nature, so you feel comfortable executing those skills, especially the areas where you fell you're weaker in.
Can remember when I was about 10, I knew my left foot was a lot weaker than my right, so for hours use to practice kicking with my left foot, to the point my left became almost as strong as my right foot, whether goal kicking, punting etc.

The other thing i'd add as having played all the way to Newcastle Uni... Work on Dynamics and body weight strength. Being a big lad is all good and well (as a prop i was 6ft 2 18.5 stone) and had gymmed my whole life but my body weight control was really poor.

If you want to get into an academy you have to train like a professional. My key steps would be:
- Nutrition (keep a well balanced diet as key to maintainng strength/duration in sessions
- Rest/Sleep
- Core/Body weight strength
- Stretching/Relaxation
- Gym in the right way (so full body i.e. heavier weights don't always equal strength)
- Find a downtime from sport/rugby

This is a really good point...

I was lucky enough to go to Marlborough College/Cheltenham College who have always had good ties to Premiership Academies (Especially Cheltenham with Glouester) but the time i trained with London Irish Academy/Counties was through Newbury Rugby Club.

Enfield are a good club and the 1's are in London 2 NW which is a strong league. Use the club as your base to grow your options but utilise the club and the coaches you have.

There are clubs who will have the connections to academies and coaches such as Sarries (nearish to Enfield) will be about and will pick up on your talent if your good enough.
But as i said, it's about attitude, listen to your coaches, ask additional advice, practice your core skills but also build your game around your Nutirition, Sleep, Body Weight Control, Aerobic Fitness.

If i had my time back, I'd have focused on all these areas but also make sure you keep the enjoyment to rugby. Essentially its about playing hard, having fun and enjoying your time with good mates.

This may help illustrate what I meant by being in the right school.
If you want the Bath scouts to notice you, it helps to go to Millfield or Beechen Cliff
FGwCAKiXwBE4H_2

Yeh tigers

STARTING XV
15 Max Fairlie - Kings Gratham
14 Ben Moore - Brooksby Melton College
13 George Loose - Greshams
12 Joseph Woodward (c) - Brooksby Melton College
11 Samuel Jacques - Brooksby Melton College
10 Morgan Meredith - Brooksby Melton College
9 Fergus Makepeace - Uppingham
1 Jack Hurst - Brooksby Melton College
2 Charlie Barraclough - Denstone College
3 Nathan Hind - Brooksby Melton College
4 Callum Richardson - Greshams
5 Finn Carnduff - Leicester Grammar
6 Joshua Manz - Northampton School for Boys
7 Oliver Arnold - Uppingham
8 Simon Koroiyadi - Trent College

REPLACEMENTS
16 Max Nolan - Brooksby Melton College
17 Tom Wand - Brooksby Melton College
18 Oliver Crane - Oakham
19 Dan Ormerod - Oakham
20 Chester Owen - Brooksby Melton College
21 Oscar McCarthy - Leicester Grammar
22 Ben Taylor - Oakham
23 Oscar van Deventer - Denstone College

Brooksby is Tigers ACE team who are doing open trails soon I think.

Latest posts