• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are the 2013 All-Blacks the best team of all time. Question mark.

NZ is too over powered, 1/2 of their players are/have Samoan Heritige. SBW IS The BIG ONE

ONE DAY NZ WILL FALL TO THE JAWS OF DEFEAT

Not sure they are the 'best team of all time' just yet, but they certainly have the players and systems in place to become that team in the next couple of seasons. You look at the squad and would imagine 95% of them will be there through till the 2015 world cup and the only thing I can see happening is the young fella's coming through and putting more pressure on the old heads. Young guys like Barrett, Piatau, Ben Smith, Cane, Retalick, etc where will they be in two years time with abit more experience? Certainly has the makings of a great team.

interestingly, this AB side actually doesn't have many islanders who are regulars compared to most years in recent history. Nonu, Mealamu, Faumaina, Savea, Luatua then? Really only two-three in a regular top run on 15. Messam is part maori (also part samoan too), as is TKB, TJP, A Smith I think?

What the ABs did this year should see them talked about as one of the greatest All Black sides and probably the best team ever in the modern era, any country. What they did this year was many times harder than winning a world cup. It's only ever an opinion and nothing more but still. What this team did this year will become the new benchmark, it will be compared to and talked about for as long as the game is still played.

interestingly, this AB side actually doesn't have many islanders who are regulars compared to most years in recent history. Nonu, Mealamu, Faumaina, Savea, Luatua then? Really only two-three in a regular top run on 15. Messam is part maori (also part samoan too), as is TKB, TJP, A Smith I think?

What the ABs did this year should see them talked about as one of the greatest All Black sides and probably the best team ever in the modern era, any country. What they did this year was many times harder than winning a world cup. It's only ever an opinion and nothing more but still. What this team did this year will become the new benchmark, it will be compared to and talked about for as long as the game is still played.

Here Here!

NZ is too over powered, 1/2 of their players are/have Samoan Heritige. SBW IS The BIG ONE

ONE DAY NZ WILL FALL TO THE JAWS OF DEFEAT

eyy, make up your mind, NZ will fall to deh jaws or defeat ??
(har. har. har..)

Hmm... isn't Charles Piutau a islander? I think he even played for Tonga in the juniors team. Also I think Kaino and Saili are part samoan.

yes I missed Piutau, but Kaino isn't currently an AB and Saili is only part of the wider squad currently. Not a regular in the 22, there is Halai as well.

really when looking at the top regular starting 15, only 2.5 islanders. Nonu, Savea and Mealamu. ~0.5 for Mealamu because he shares the Job with Coles & Hore we simply do not have a #1 hooker.

down a lot from many past seasons.

not saying its good or bad either way, just an observation. Islanders have been verry important for the AB's for some time. NZ has a huge island population, last time I checked there were more Samoans living in NZ than Samoa.

Last edited:
man the test record of some of the young players in the Current All Blacks is pretty insane.

Bauden Barret is 16 tests for 16 wins
Savea is 20 tests 19 wins
Cruden is 29 tests 27W 1L 1D
Ben Smith is 26 tests 1L 1D
Retallick is 24 tests 22 wins 1 L 1 D
whitelock is 50 45w 4lL1D
Owen Franks is 54 tests 47 wins

I think for the 1996-1997 ABs you can add 1995 even though you lost the RWC final in 1995 by a hair's breadth.

Yup, that's the best AB's side in my mind. Even considering they were pretty much amateur back then and their conditioning would have been nowhere near that of the top international sides today, I reckon they'd give most teams outside the top 5 a run for their money.

1. Craig Dowd
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Olo Brown
4. Ian Jones
5. Robin Brooke
6. Michael Jones
7. Josh Kronfeld
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Justin Marshall
10. Andrew Mehrtens/Carlos Spencer
11. Jonah Lomu/Tana Umaga
12. Alama Ierimia/Walter Little
13. Frank Bunce
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Christian Cullen

That is a very strong team.

1. Craig Dowd
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Olo Brown
4. Ian Jones
5. Robin Brooke
6. Michael Jones
7. Josh Kronfeld
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Justin Marshall
13. Frank Bunce
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Christian Cullen

No McCaw. Carter at his best was definitely better that Carlos spencer.In essence he was made by Andrew mehterns. What a centre pairing little and Bunce.But smith And Nonu are equally as good!Lomu before Umaga the wing position.The pack is awesome but you have to find a place for Richie otherwise you'll be lynched! Lol
On the bench Keiran read and a young mealumu. Cullen what are fantastic player! you are evoking the memories.

No McCaw. Carter at his best was definitely better that Carlos spencer.In essence he was made by Andrew mehterns. What a centre pairing little and Bunce.But smith And Nonu are equally as good!Lomu before Umaga the wing position.The pack is awesome but you have to find a place for Richie otherwise you'll be lynched! Lol
On the bench Keiran read and a young mealumu. Cullen what are fantastic player! you are evoking the memories.

To be honest, I don't Mccaw would have had such a big impact during that time, as what he has had in his era. The Rules at that point and stage, was a lot more primitive and less technical as it is now. there wasn't a big focus on a fetcher at ruck time. So I don't think Richie would have been such a great influence then.

The team that Nick compiled there was awesome! I was still in primary school when these guys played, and at that time I collected cards of rugby players (player profile cards). I had all of these guys in my collection, and my friends always tried to trade a Springbok player for my Olo Brown card, for some strange reason I had about 10 Olo Brown cards.

Anyways, I can still remember how Cullen and Carlos and Jeff Wilson used to run us ragged.

Also SBW is coming back to the ABs as he said in the Sydney Morning Hearld ( SBW IS HALF SAMOAN) and they are getting Benji marshall who would might be a treat if he plays with his mind, he can be a treat but they do have talent young players - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...retty-boys-doing-our-hair-20131025-2w6lg.html

AND you forgot some legends that were Islanders

Jonah Lomu
Jerry Collins
Victor Vito
Tana Umaga

and more

Last edited:

That's just a team which could have been selected from 1996-1997. Richie McCaw misses out by virtue of only being 15/16 years old. My possible AB's XV looks very different.

Also SBW is coming back to the ABs as he said in the Sydney Morning Hearld ( SBW IS HALF SAMOAN) and they are getting Benji marshall who would might be a treat if he plays with his mind, he can be a treat but they do have talent young players - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...retty-boys-doing-our-hair-20131025-2w6lg.html

AND you forgot some legends that were Islanders

Jonah Lomu
Jerry Collins
Victor Vito
Tana Umaga

and more

Umm, are you having a conversation with yourself? You're not really responding to anything particular. I read your posts and sometimes feel the capital letters give the impression you are excitedly shouting. It means when I read some of these I feel you are excitedly yelling the 'SBW IS HALF SAMOAN' while facing a mirror. It makes me chuckle, it's enjoyable but maybe for the wrong reasons.

To be honest, I don't Mccaw would have had such a big impact during that time, as what he has had in his era. The Rules at that point and stage, was a lot more primitive and less technical as it is now. there wasn't a big focus on a fetcher at ruck time. So I don't think Richie would have been such a great influence then.

The team that Nick compiled there was awesome! I was still in primary school when these guys played, and at that time I collected cards of rugby players (player profile cards). I had all of these guys in my collection, and my friends always tried to trade a Springbok player for my Olo Brown card, for some strange reason I had about 10 Olo Brown cards.

Anyways, I can still remember how Cullen and Carlos and Jeff Wilson used to run us ragged.

I have to disagree. McCaw would have been just as effective back then, as it wasn't really that long ago that NZ had that side ('95/'96) - it was only a couple of seasons before McCaw made his debut for Canterbury. If anything I think he would have been much more effective back then than he was now, as around that time the rules really favored a pilfering openside, it's just few teams outside of New Zealand seemed to realize this ;) Indeed Josh Kronfeld main strength was his ability to turn over opposition ball at the breakdown (his support play was handy too) - and though Kronfeld was an exceptional player McCaw is in a different league......

I have to disagree. McCaw would have been just as effective back then, as it wasn't really that long ago that NZ had that side ('95/'96) - it was only a couple of seasons before McCaw made his debut for Canterbury. If anything I think he would have been much more effective back then than he was now, as around that time the rules really favored a pilfering openside, it's just few teams outside of New Zealand seemed to realize this ;) Indeed Josh Kronfeld main strength was his ability to turn over opposition ball at the breakdown (his support play was handy too) - and though Kronfeld was an exceptional player McCaw is in a different league......

okay, thanx for pointing it out. Kronfeld was one of the guys that I looked up to the most growing up. I even had his look at some stage, socks not pulled up and the scrumcap on...

1. Craig Dowd
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Olo Brown
4. Ian Jones
5. Robin Brooke
6. Michael Jones
7. Josh Kronfeld
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Justin Marshall
13. Frank Bunce
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Christian Cullen

Yes, probably the best team of individual greats, you would only exclude Dowd, Spencer and maybe Little from a Legends list.
BTW Ierimea didn't really play in this team, Scott McLeod had a few tests too

Yes, probably the best team of individual greats, you would only exclude Dowd, Spencer and maybe Little from a Legends list.
BTW Ierimea didn't really play in this team, Scott McLeod had a few tests too

I included players who played during this time (1996-1997). I doubt this lineup ever existed as it was - however Alama Ierimia was named in every squad for every series between 1996 and 1997. However of his 40 All Blacks games he played for the All Blacks (30 tests) - he played 14 of those games between 1996 and 1997. He started against South Africa and Australia (twice), Ireland and England in 1997. I'd agree he was used more from 1999-2000, however I don't see how he wasn't really a part of this team? McLeod did play a bit in this team, as did Lee Stensness.

Last edited:

Latest posts