• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are the All Blacks Chokers? Article By Tom Scott

G

getofmeland

The rugby world, lead mostly by Australians and Englishmen, take great joy in labelling New Zealand's All Blacks chokers for their recent lack of World Cup success. Since the first World Cup, which New Zealand won, the All Black World Cup story has been one of disappointment and heartache for All Black Supporters who are left wondering how a team that is seems to spend the entire three years leading up to a world cup stomping on everyone in site can manage to throw away world cups year after year.

It started in England, where the All Blacks were defeated in the semi-final by Australia. I can remember that year well, Australia beat the All Blacks convincingly at home, then New Zealand managed to retain the Bledislow cup by winning a low scoring game at home. 1-1 all going into the world cup, with Australia looking far more convincing in their win. In the minds of many New Zealanders the All Blacks were the underdogs in that semi-final. Chokers - not here. Much as it pains me to say, beaten by the better team, not just on the day, but of the season.

In South Africa in 1995 the All Blacks played well to dismiss everyone between them on the final. Getting up in the middle of the night New Zealanders were greeted with the news many of their food was suffering from food poisoning prior to their final against the hosts. Still, the game went to extra time, and the All Blacks lost the drop kicking duel. Choking...only on their dinner.

In 1999 the All Blacks went into a semi-final against a French Team described as 'only there by a fluke of the draw'. On this occasion I was driving the length of the country to see my girlfriend, listening to the radio as the static crackled in and out. New Zealand controlled much of the match, but were blown away in the second half by a period of play that France will produce once a decade. When they are in that mood they are near unstoppable. France went on to show their other side in the final, losing terribly to Australia in an ugly match. The All Blacks were so dejected that they had little heart for their 3rd place play-off with South Africa and finished their worst place ever at a world cup - 4th. Choking? Maybe so here, certainly they had little answer once the French turned on the magic.

In 2003 the All Blacks had beaten Australia comfortably in the Tri-Nations(In one game very handsomely) and having disposed of South Africa in their Semi-Final were the favourites going into the Semi-Final, against the hosts. Australia played a game plan the All Blacks never saw coming, and again the inability to adapt cost the All Blacks the game. Having said that, one intercept try made all the difference, and Australia were always going to be very difficult to beat on their home turf. Australia went on to lose to England in the final. This time there was no heartless play-off for the kiwi's who took their frustration out on France.

Overall, the history of New Zealand at world cups has been disappointing for fans, but only one country, Australia, can boast a better record. The 'choker' tag is more something used to rile up New Zealand fans than something any team actually believes. Going in to the 2007 World Cup the All Blacks have beaten all the major nations comfortably, several times by 30 points or more. Remarkably they have done this with a squad system that means they often play their second 15 in any given match. No other country in the Rugby World has demonstrated the depth to contemplate this, yet in 2006 the All Blacks dropped only one match - the 'dead rubber' in Ristenburg to a South African team fuelled by desperation.

Competitors should consider the New Zealand team chokers at their own peril. They are runaway favourites to win the 2007 World Cup, but not invincible as Rustenburg showed.

Article by Tom Scott (lifelong New Zealand Fan)

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tom_Scott

not a bad article...... we were beaten by the better team in '91. no choke there. the best team in the world won the cup. i must say though.... the draw was a farce... the world cup final was effectively in dublin. how the hell the two favourates(NZ & AUS) were on the same side of the draw was a farce. then you have england losing easily to NZ in pool play then being rewarded by avoiding the top 2 sides in knockout play. deadset farce.

in '95 leading up to the world cup most people had us as a possible finalist but we were still considered behind the likes of australia, south africa & england. people need to remember we lost the bledisloe to australia and we were beaten in a series 2-nil by the french in NZ about 8-9 months before the cup started. it wasnt until the cup started and jonah burst onto the scene that everyone started ranking us favourates.

in '99 we got done by our arch enemy the frogs. we deadset choked. but having said that, i dont know if many sides would have beaten the french on that day. they were simply sublime and blew the ab's off the park.

'03 we choked to a degree. i say we choked because we had the measure of australia during the year and we lost when when it really mattered. thats part is a deadset choke. i say to a degree because england were the actual favourates for the cup. it wasnt like '99 where we were favourates by miles. england had beaten us twice in the previous 12 months both home and away so you cant say we were deadset certainties to lift the cup.

In theory, the All Blacks should demolish all before them before and during the World Cup, and win it quite convincingly.

However, the world is a cruel place and I'm predicting that karma will play its part and once again the All Blacks will suffer another painful World Cup defeat.

My guess are the people who see the All Black's as "choker's" will be hoping and wishing to the rugby god's they'll choke again...

Will just have to wait and see..

2003 was the biggest choke in my opinion. this was mainly due to a young inexperience side and the wallabies exploited this.
the 2003 all black team was vastly different to the 2002 team which played in the tri nations. john mitchell went for form over experience. it nearly payed off.

My guess are the people who see the All Black's as "choker's" will be hoping and wishing to the rugby god's they'll choke again...

Will just have to wait and see.. [/b]

That was not my Article, I came across it and it read well, it was written by a lifelong New Zealand Fan.... So your saying New Zealand fans want them to choke again?

hmmmm

Basically it is common knowledge you have underachieved in World Cups, you have to be able to admit and take the name of Choker's, and then go out and prove people wrong...

I believe this is the best possible time to have a World Cup for New Zealand its primed for them to perform, alot of the other sides are struggling still and not in form. However New Zealand have been on form for well over 2 years now, so they could fall foul of peaking too early. This will come more apparent when they play France in the next couple of weeks.

But victories over France 'B' in NZ, will mean diddly squat come actually playing in France.

It's amusing that we've under-achieved, as say if Ireland had our World Cup record, you'd say they've done pretty well. Ironically it's our domination at times between cups that label our not winning each cup a failure.

There is something about the South Africans that leads me to believe they are going to do quite well in the lead up to and in the World Cup.

They seem to have that steely determined confident aura about them and that does not bode well for all who stand in their way.

I'm picking a South African World Cup victory.

It's a big call this far out and time will tell but that is my pick and I'm sticking to it.

oh, and yes the All Blacks are chokers and will probably choke again unfortunately.

I don't think my rugby knowledge is as in-depth as some people's on this forum. I've seen the 99 semi where the French beat the ABs, what was so particularly fantastic about the way they played?

I don't think my rugby knowledge is as in-depth as some people's on this forum. I've seen the 99 semi where the French beat the ABs, what was so particularly fantastic about the way they played?
[/b]
I haven't seen any of that match in years, but my memory of it is that the French 10, Lamaison, played the perfect game 20 mins either side of half time. Every time he got the ball he tried something different - and it worked.

However New Zealand have been on form for well over 2 years now, so they could fall foul of peaking too early. This will come more apparent when they play France in the next couple of weeks.
[/b]

Isn't that ironic?? The media here has said the All Black's haven't yet peaked as yet and i believe this time round feels alot different to the previous world cup's before us... I know I'll be putting my money where my mouth is for the AB's to win that cup as much as you would be for vice verser

GO THE ABs :cheers: :bleh!:

It's amusing that we've under-achieved, as say if Ireland had our World Cup record, you'd say they've done pretty well. Ironically it's our domination at times between cups that label our not winning each cup a failure.
[/b]

Yeah, that's the whole point.
You, as a nation, need to get it across to your all blacks squad that they need to stop doing so well in between world cups so that if they do lose, no one will brand you as a choker and if you do win then everyone will be happy for you.
It's a win-win situation. :unsure:

and if you do win then everyone will be happy for you.
It's a win-win situation. :unsure:
[/b]

Everyone except those arrogant cants in the Northern Hemisphere who have a problem with the Ab's winning records :bleh!:

Well there's 1987...and...and...erm...

*Matt clearly fishing for a delicious NZ catch*

What winning record?
[/b]

Well, there is that 100+ year winning record over the poor Oirish... and of course the superior win/loss ratio over every rugby playing nation in the world. :rolleyes:

Well there's 1987...and...and...erm...

*Matt clearly fishing for a delicious NZ catch*
[/b]

I think they might have won the under fives Rugby World Cup...once...maybe..I think they choked there too.

*drops his bait into yonder south sea water*

<div class='quotemain'>
What winning record?
[/b]

Well, there is that 100+ year winning record over the poor Oirish... [/b][/quote]
Oi!

I'm proud of that record.

Repeat 78! Repeat 78!

Latest posts