• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are The USA a Soccer Powerhouse Yet?

No way in hell the US ever becomes a power. We may sneak into a World Cup final and hey, maybe even win one, but we'll never be on the same level as the Brazil, Italy, France and Germany's of the world. All of our really good athletes go into other sports. That's just a fact that will not change because the ratings are just not there to televise the sport, thus, no one really gains any interest. It's a shame too, because good soccer is one of the most enjoyable things to watch...by far. [/b]

<div class='quotemain'> No way in hell the US ever becomes a power. We may sneak into a World Cup final and hey, maybe even win one, but we'll never be on the same level as the Brazil, Italy, France and Germany's of the world. All of our really good athletes go into other sports. That's just a fact that will not change because the ratings are just not there to televise the sport, thus, no one really gains any interest. It's a shame too, because good soccer is one of the most enjoyable things to watch...by far. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Hard to look 20 years in the future and say, but I just don't see the US ever on par with the rest of the world in soccer. We don't have the interest needed.

They are definitely not a powerhouse in the International scene....

YET.

But I seriously believe that they will be before I die, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Watched the FA Community sheild last night on ESPN with American commentators....there is no way interest will be drummed up if these guys are the best you can do, I mean, they didn't even raise thier voices when goals were scored....I thought the Man U one had missed, as well as for some reason the Stadium noise seemed to be on mute, as I know when I listen to UK coverage when a goal is scored the crowd goes mental and throughout the game the signing etc. adds to the whole game...

If you get in some young kids who watch a game and feel the emotion and the atmosphere of the game, the core of soccer, they will be inspired to play and practice and practice untill they are the best, not only just playing becuase thier mothers don't want them to get hurt....that is when you will have a chance of even realistically competing on the highest levels.

PS. I turned off the game around halfway through the second half because I was sick of the way the game was handled but a mate told me that apparently the commentators were complaining saying that Chelsea were cheating by bringing on a different goalkeeper wearing a Cech shirt, even though Cech simply took his rugby helmet, is this true or is he simply having me on?

I remember that a former US team coach said in 1998 that in less than 10 years its team will have been world champion. :bravo:

I remember that a former US team coach said in 1998 that in less than 10 years its team will have been world champion. :bravo:
[/b]
Do you expect anything else from the US, I surprised he didn't say right then and there that they already could beat any side in the world :p

I don't think United States' football (ehm, pardon, soccer) team will be an international power soon. That's for an only, simple, reason: in the USA there are not one, not two, but 3 sports that have monopoly about television spaces. I'm talking obviously about basketball, american football and baseball.
1. Televisions don't invest money in soccer, because investing in those sport is more safeful
2. People prefer to keep up one of those sports instead of soccer

unless you find a way to put breaks in the game for commercials ( and to buy a hot dog :p ) there's not much in it for tv. Football, baseball and basketball suits them fine

Simply, no. Powerhouses are teams like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France Italy and others maybe ending with Spain. USA play crap teams to qualify for the world cup, and therefore are not tested.

unless you find a way to put breaks in the game for commercials ( and to buy a hot dog :p ) there's not much in it for tv. Football, baseball and basketball suits them fine
[/b]
Um... ESPN and Telefutura has MLS broadcasts over here.

And Champions League is on ESPN on matchday.

USA won't be powerhouse unless they start calling it FOOTBALL and not soccer...
Talking seriously, don't think USA it's powerhouse, although it has gown lots this last years

USA have grown a lot, but there's still A LOT of work to do, to say the least... I don't think that football will ever have enough consideration in the USA..

No. You guys still have a long road in front of you.
I see that the % of Hispanics is increasing in the US population. Given the popularity of football in Latin America, i say football does have a future in the US.

No not yet for a couple of reasons.

1.You play in a woefully weak group for reasons unknown in all honesty Concacaf SHOULD NOT be a competition between you guys,mexico and Costa Rica.
2.You cannot for once again reasons unknown win world cup matches in Europe i believe until 2006 you hadnt even scored a goal in a european world cup and i believe that was an own goal by italy.
3.Soccer plays a very distant 4th to the big three sports

What you have got going for you is that the MLS is on the rise and the latin population is increasing and the participatory rates are increasing.

But i think that the USA will be there abouts always. :D

I wouldnt doubt that they make a run in 2010 because its in S.af not Europe. :p

Well all I can say this, compare England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Any of the top 20 in the world to USA, USA lose bigtime. Even though youngsters are coming in and Beckham's at LA Galaxy, it's not gonna take off yet...well not for at least 5-8 Years.

All their new players are coming up look promising, but they're all midfielders and some forwards:

Bobby Convey - At Reading, Not a bad player on the left wing
Clint Dempsey - New to Fulham and the Premiership, but impressive in my point of view
DaMarcus Beasley - He's a good winger, pacey but I haven't seen enough yet.
Landon Donovan - Should have stayed in Germany, made the wrong choice to go back to USA, still a quality player
Freddy Adu - No doubt the talents there, he's a good attacking midfielder but Benfica? Hmm...
Lee Nguyen - The least known about the midfielders above, should goto England in low Prem-mid champ team, very creative player, skillful too but PSV are wrecking his career..

Eddie Johnson - Still in the states, but deserves a shout, possesses great pace and ability to finish
Gabriel Ferrari - Sounds like a car, but he's Italian, and also a footballer, Co-owned by Sampdoria and AC Milan so he must have something special to be signed by them 2, very impressive in the under-20's.

And another person deserves a shout is Giuseppe Rossi, Man Utd shouldn't have let him go, he would have been a star however he's a blow to USA as he's put his faith in Italy.

the us team will never be a powerhouse, i think that fifa actually decided to change their rating system based on the fact that it had usa as like number 6 in the world in the last world cup

The youth teams look much more competitive than the present national team. But we won't be a powerhouse when there are so many other sports taking the spotlight.

I am glad to see our players moving to Europe which is the only way we can improve. Unfortunately we're stuck with Landy-cakes up front. I wish we still had McBride.

Latest posts