• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina in the 6 nations ?

• Thread starter tooniesbruxelles
  • Start date
This new world series could be a good base to launch a solid competition for Argentina.

Just done a blog on this on my blogspot (see my signature)

I'd think that it would have to the be the Six Nations, presumably based in Spain. I can see fewer logistical and other issues arising from this than the Tri-Nations, I wonder how keen SANZAR would be to have them for a start, and playing in Argentina would be even more trouble for the Argentines as well as the away team since they all play in Europe... It is however a very tricky call, and in particular, the additional game to the six nations wouldn't go down well with club teams I expect...

However, clearly something needs to be done - the side ranked 3rd in the world can't get into a regular tournament other than the WC...

the traditional 6 nations is only for european nations! NO Argentina AT 6 NATIONS!

the traditional 6 nations is only for european nations! NO Argentina AT 6 NATIONS! [/b]
Ummm and the traditional Tri-Nations are Aus, NZ and SA. That doesn't mean things can't be changed around.

A tournaments traditional participants mean bugger all when it comes to the growth of rugby. If another team is to be included in a competition, then so be it.

Gonna be a bit technical here, but is the UK even considered a European nation?

Therefore can the 6N be considered solely as an European competition?

You always here people talk of the UK and Europe. Even Brits on this forum seem to separate their nations from Europe.

In many ways the UK is independent from Europe, especially with their currency. Yet they're part of the EU (I think).

Just wondering cause then that whole 'keep it European' campaign is already in the shitter

Well now listen, you Italians were only allowed into the Six nations by 2000, the French were only officially added in 1910, 27 years after the first "Home Nations".

Neither of the two are Home nations, yet somehow you are part of the tradition.

Argentina would make a fine addition to any tournament, anyone who doesn't -wan't- the Argies is simply mad.

You always here people talk of the UK and Europe. Even Brits on this forum seem to separate their nations from Europe.

In many ways the UK is independent from Europe, especially with their currency. Yet they're part of the EU (I think).

Just wondering cause then that whole 'keep it European' campaign is already in the shitter
[/b]

Technically we are part of Europe because we are in the European Union, but you are right that we are separate in most peoples minds anyway. I dont know many people who are pro-Europe exept when it comes to sport such as the Ryder Cup when we all suddenly forget about years of war and struggle and pull together to beat the wretched Yanks. Which is ironic because over the last 100 years they have been our countries closest friend.
As for Argentina inclusion in the six nations , it would be great and certainly a trip I would look foward to. Pity it will never happen though.

I'd love Argentina in the 6N

great team, exciting players, technically an excellent addition, some more wonderful and spectacular games to watch

but if I were argentinian I would be very disappointed:
- not to see my national team playing on my home soil but somewhere in Europe (Spain or belgium) where I could never go (too expensive, too far)
- to lose such a big opportunity to develop the home game, creating professional sides, attracting sponsor and, this way, perpetuate the exodus towards major and minor leagues in Europe (how many argentinians are there also in italian minor leagues...), losing home talents and leaving many passionate players hopeless to build a profession through their rugby

if I were argentinian I'd prefer UAR to work and spend their money to create a couple of professional sides to play the Super14, recall back home the best players actually playing in Europe and enter the tri-four nations in a few years

Just wondering cause then that whole 'keep it European' campaign is already in the shitter [/b]

Hooo boy. This one is a toughie.

Essentially, we are a schitzophrenic collection of peoples. We are in Europe but then again we are not in Europe. We are a member of the European Union and yet we don't want to be a member of the European Union and through this also pursue our interests via our seat on the UN Security Council, the Commonwealth and in the G7 & Russia. We happen to be part of the continent of Europe and yet we always refer to ourselves as "British" and them as "Europeans." We invent the language and yet succumb to European spellings of various words like "<strike>centre</strike>" for example.

We enjoy independence in terms of economic policy, foreign and millitary affairs, but in others we enthusiastically implement unofficial directives from the European Commission and abandon our veto over other areas of policy. Some towns fly the European Union flag instead of the Union Flag/their national flag and vice versa.

The view of whether to be in the European Union also differs from nation to nation. The English mostly want out whilst the Scots want in but also want to be a member (fat chance) if they become independent (fatter chance) in order to benefit from a similar level of European Union aid and investment that Ireland enjoyed when they joined (fattest chance of all).

So, like allot of things in the UK Steve, its all a bit confused and that is the beauty of the UK: nothing is written down, nobody quite knows what is going on and we always muddle through in all affairs of state and administration. It has been known to drive people of other, more ordered and structred nationalities insane after a few months....

Argentina in the six-nations would be great! I loved the way they played in the world cup in France in 2007 and i think that they could have done great things at the Six-nations cup

I heard there is more being done to get them into the 4 Nations, may be wrong though.

If Argentina were admitted to the 6 Nations and based in Spain how long would it be before they started asking for their home games to be moved to Argentina? And when they did how can the other 6 nations refuse the request?
If the 6 Nations is to be expanded it should be to include other European countries, Romaina, spain, Portugal, Holland or possibly Germany at some point in the distant future, but Argentina dont fit in the 6 nations, at least not for me, their a Southern Hemisphere team and should go there along with a combined Islands team.

Gonna be a bit technical here, but is the UK even considered a European nation?[/b]

Europe is a continent, and the UK is on that continent, so yes. And the people of the UK are mostly made up of several waves of european migration, the celts as fishermen from Spain (presumably), then the Romans (who combined with the celts to become Romano-Britons (now known as the Welsh), then the Anglo-Saxons from Germany, then the Normans (french speaking Vikings). The Scots are a mix of all the above plus the Irish and Picts. However despite each being an invading force from the mainland they all settled down and started buying the euro-phobic Daily Express and worrying about the next wave of immigrants.

I would love to see Argentina in a Nth/Sth American Cup- a comp where Argentina, Uruguay, Canada and the US play against each other. This makes sense as it would cut cost , give Argentina some meaningful competiton and help develop the game in the Americas.

it would be good if Argentina could play more competitive rugby. And most of their players are based in europe anyway so playing in belgium would be fine

yes but the point has already been made, how soon would they be expecting to play home games in Argentina, logistically it just doesn't work at the moment, the long term future is in an expanded Tri Nations, despite the obvious short term problems they would face.

the pumas deserve to play as much as they can. great fun to watch, tons of pace and kicking play

I think having argentina in the 6 nations would be great. it would improve the level of competition because unfortunately wales and ireland are not always up there. however any idea of traveling to argentina is to be thrown away :)!!!
as we saw during the world cup they have the level to cope with world rugby as they beat france twice!!!

Latest posts