• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina must join Tri Nations

The question I think is how is it possible that Argentina is not playing in a major international tournament while Italy, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are? Surely on current form they are on par if not better than the best the six nations have to offer. If they didn't lose last night my money would have been on them to beat England in the final.

They will find it tough playing in the tri nations ( or whatever it might be called once we find a magician or some other superhero who can perform the humanly impossible task of changing the competitons name :p :lol: ) at first but I think they deserve a chance. They have world class players who will soon rise to the challenge.

Logistically though it would be a great challenge for all involved in such a SH tournament due to the distances involved and the already full schedules of these teams.

im guessing you cannot notice sarcasm when it is in words. The country which wants to joing could be any for f*** sake. what im saying here is that why should Argentinas choose to be in the best of the best tournament when theres many others to choose from. Sure they've showed great skill and effort in the world cup, but they havnt even had a match against the allblacks and the wallabies yet. And you must have watched the game which was on this morning. 37-13. [/b]

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!! You must be talking about Japan! I've already provided the facts, we had done it. We have beaten Australia FOUR times, we have beaten South Africa with a "camuflated" team (as the All Blacks once toured there as the New Zealand Cavaliers) and we have tied to the ABs. 37-13? Have you really seen the match? It was so much closer in the development than that score, we gave away three gifts ...

And how does having 4 teams in a TRI nations competition NOT sound pathetic?
If this topic was about making a new tournament for other countries it would be quite acceptable, but the tri nations. TRI nations. There has to be a reason why the tri nation has the word 'TRI' now is there.
[/b]

Your argument is pathetic .

YKNGR...it's one of two things. you are either slightly on the mentally retarded side, or you are having trouble expressing yourself correctly. im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

the fact of the matter is, the tri nations is a world class tournament. and argentina has always been looked down upon as a bad team. but they have proven themselves this RWC and as a south african i do believe that they could play up to par with us and NZ & AUS.

now if you are seriously saying that they shouldnt join the tourney because the word TRI means three...then you are seriously close minded. they will change the word TRI to something more suitable (four, IV, quatro, quad). haha they could even call it the Ivy (IV) League. [/b]

If I didnt want Argentina to join the tri nations just because of a name, then yes i would be the most close minded person you'll find on earth. I have other reasons other than the name.

The reason i dont think Argentina should join the Tri nations:

1. They have proven themselves against European teams. but I think they are not quite ready to face on the tri nation teams. They should be playing in other tournament ( this i suggested before, a new tournament with many other teams playing) right now. In my opinion they are not quite ready to face the tri nation teams.

2. The flight would be unbelievably annoying. Having the AllBlacks going to South Africa was bad enough, The argentine team would be absolutely out of shaped after having a lifetime flight to play in the tournament.

I would like to see Argentina go into the tri nations for once. Once and see how well they do.
lose all matches- out
Win one match- in

I want to see what they can do against the current teams. not the teams along time ago.

I want to see what they can do against the current teams. not the teams along time ago.[/b]

Yesterday's match was not even close to a demolition and you can see something, check the last four teams in this RWC.

Argentina would've likely demolished the Wallabies if they played like they did against England in the Quarter Final.

<div class='quotemain'> YKNGR...it's one of two things. you are either slightly on the mentally retarded side, or you are having trouble expressing yourself correctly. im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

the fact of the matter is, the tri nations is a world class tournament. and argentina has always been looked down upon as a bad team. but they have proven themselves this RWC and as a south african i do believe that they could play up to par with us and NZ & AUS.

now if you are seriously saying that they shouldnt join the tourney because the word TRI means three...then you are seriously close minded. they will change the word TRI to something more suitable (four, IV, quatro, quad). haha they could even call it the Ivy (IV) League. [/b]

If I didnt want Argentina to join the tri nations just because of a name, then yes i would be the most close minded person you'll find on earth. I have other reasons other than the name.

The reason i dont think Argentina should join the Tri nations:

1. They have proven themselves against European teams. but I think they are not quite ready to face on the tri nation teams. They should be playing in other tournament ( this i suggested before, a new tournament with many other teams playing) right now. In my opinion they are not quite ready to face the tri nation teams.

2. The flight would be unbelievably annoying. Having the AllBlacks going to South Africa was bad enough, The argentine team would be absolutely out of shaped after having a lifetime flight to play in the tournament.

I would like to see Argentina go into the tri nations for once. Once and see how well they do.
lose all matches- out
Win one match- in

I want to see what they can do against the current teams. not the teams along time ago.

[/b][/quote]

im pretty sure that is the first comment that you made that makes any sense.

yeah, those were some really lame comments and comebacks YKNGR. especially the "they can't join because it's the TRI nations, you can't have 4 teams!".. what da? were u serious? argentina do deserve to be in a tournament, maybe they won't win the whole thing first time round but they'd definately grow as a team and eventually in the near future win it!

but i guess they can't join our TRI nations or the 6 Nations or the Pacific Cup because 4 doesn't go in 3, nor does 7 in 6 and their not from the pacific so that counts that tournament out too.. what on earth are they to do? just wait till the RWC every 4 years i guess eh..

[/quote]

The point im trying to make is that argentina do deserve to be in a tournament but not the tri nations. Dont they have something like a super 14 team or something similar to that?
If there were 4 teams in the TRI nations thats like saying we have a UNI cycle but then we have 2 wheels. ( not a great example)

And having 4 teams in the tri nations would just sound pathetic, if were going to have 4 teams why wont we let in the French in the tri nations aswell and see how good they do in a rematch with the all blacks? After letting in France and Argentina oh we'll put in england and all the rest who wants to join. Soon it wont be the tri nations.

Its like with animals, feed a cat and itll come back for more, soon you'll end up with more and more cats to feed. The IRB should at least make a tournament for the Argentines, but since this topic was about Argentina trying to join the Tri Nations, i thought id be talking about that instead.

As a japanese myself, i want to see Japan join into a tournament aswell. See how much rugby improves in the country of baseball and soccer -.-
[/quote]

Seriously, I fully expect the word "soccer" from a non-informed American.
Aside of that, no country will ever ever be respectable on that sport as long as they keep calling it like that.
It`s like a curse. :D

they did really great in the RWC this year (that is besides the fact that they didnt get to really practice against any good teams the last four years)[/b]

Because in your eyes there are only three good teams in the world; SA, Aus and NZ? :rolleyes:

There has been plenty of talk of the Pumas joining the 6N and playing their "home" games in Spain or somewhere similar, I'd say it's long overdue - also seeing as virtually all of their squad play in the NH's leagues it would also make sense.

they did really great in the RWC this year (that is besides the fact that they didnt get to really practice against any good teams the last four years)[/b]

Because in your eyes there are only three good teams in the world; SA, Aus and NZ? :rolleyes:

There has been plenty of talk of the Pumas joining the 6N and playing their "home" games in Spain or somewhere similar, I'd say it's long overdue - also seeing as virtually all of their squad play in the NH's leagues it would also make sense.
[/b]

yep, that is exactly what i mean :p. does argentina play outside of south america often? if they do then my bad. but if they dont, then i am correct. they need more practice against good teams. whether they join the 6N or the 3N. it would just make more sense for them to join a SH league.

im just curious, has there ever been a game where NH plays SH? that would be an extremely interesting match to watch.

yep, that is exactly what i mean :p. does argentina play outside of south america often? if they do then my bad. but if they dont, then i am correct. they need more practice against good teams. whether they join the 6N or the 3N. it would just make more sense for them to join a SH league.[/b]

http://www.rugbydata.com/

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!! You must be talking about Japan! I've already provided the facts, we had done it. We have beaten Australia FOUR times, we have beaten South Africa with a "camuflated" team (as the All Blacks once toured there as the New Zealand Cavaliers) and we have tied to the ABs. 37-13? Have you really seen the match? It was so much closer in the development than that score, we gave away three gifts ...
[/b]

Alright now boys, calm down :p

I stand by what I said earlier - let Argentina play against each of the SANZAR countries twice (in test matches, not in a tournament). Monitor the performance. If they do well, include them by all means. If they don't, then don't. It's not that complicated.

I disagree with your comment about the 37-13, and not just because I'm South African. But I'm not going to say why - this is not the thread for it, and I don't want to start a debate over it. I'm also not slamming Argentina - don't get me wrong. You did very well in this world cup.

Without being critic, i wonder if this team is not just a "one shoot team", with a fantastic generation.
What about young players?

Without being critic, i wonder if this team is not just a "one shoot team", with a fantastic generation.
What about young players?
[/b]

Some of them got to the QFs in 1999 RWC (so at least there are a two shoot team, spanning 8 years) and regarding next generation there are several players in prospect or already confirmed:

Horacio Agulla WING (22 years, still playing at argentinean - amateur - league, having a terrific RWC)
Gonzalo Tiesi CENTRE (22 years, playing at London Irish, was a sure starter but got injured just before RWC and almost missed it)
Tomas de Vedia WING/FB (25 years old, Saracens)
Matias Cortese PROP (21 years old, Biarritz Olympique - just moved from Northampton Saints -)
Marcos Toro (bull) Ayerza PROP (24 years old, Leicester Tigers)
Pedro Ledesma PROP (22 years old, Stade Francais - Mario Ledema brother -)
Marcelo Bosch FLY HALF/CENTRE (22 years, playing at Biarritz Olympique, F. Contepomi replacement in near future)
Juan Manuel Leguizamón N8/FLANKER (24 years old, London Irish, most probable replacement for Gonzalo Longo)
Manuel Carizza LOCK (23 years old, Biarritz Olympique)
Agustin Creevy FLANKER (22 years old, Biarritz Olympique)
Genaro Fessia N8/FLANKER (26 years old, Sale Sharks)

Nicolas Vergallo SCRUM HALF (24 years old, still playing at home in Jockey Club de Rosario is supposed to be Pichot's replacement)

Juan Martín Hernández (25), Alberto Vernet Basualdo (25), Eusebio Guiñazu (25), Esteban Lozada (25), Juan Martín Corcho (cork) Fernández Lobbe (25), Patricio Albacete (26), Federico Martin Aramburu (27), Lucas Borges (27) and Ignacio Corleto (29) are going to be there at least for the next RWC. Also Francisco Leonelli (29) lost this RWC injured and will be there for the next one I guess. Probably even F. Contepomi and Rodrigo Roncero (both 30) will be part of that team.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some names ... and new players will emerge :)