• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina`s real derby

P

paco1

All international teams have historic derbies. NZ- Aus, Canada - USA, Tonga-Samoa- Fiji., ect.

Argentina`s neighbours , although improving a lot, are still too weak to consider them classic matches. So this triggers a question. Which matches are considered to be derbies in Argentina .
Many people tend to think Ireland is one. That`s wrong as Ireland and Arg rugby historic ties are not that strong; besides being the first international team beaten by and argentinian rugby team (Club Pucara 15- Ireland 12 , in 1952) and having an advantage in the international matches; they are not a derby. This regardless of the IRB drawing Arg and Ire in the same pool of the RWC for 3 consecutive tournaments.

Argentina`s real derby is France, and french posters will sure recognize this. Troughout history Argentina and France had awsome rugby clashes (mostly won by the french) and there has been great friendship between this rugby nations.

Finally for considering any match a derby, both parts must recognize this. I do not know the irish opinion, but we don`t consider Ireland a derby.

If it's the World Cup that matters - and for Argentina, that's all that can matter - then Ireland is the derby. Beating France out of competition is impressive, but ... time to find yourselves an annual tournament and let the passion flow.

The ABs and SA is the classic derby. For Wales, Scotland and Ireland, it's England. For England, France. I guess the French consider the ABs as their derby, outside of the 6N - but they screwed it up in Nov 06.

If it's the World Cup that matters - and for Argentina, that's all that can matter - then Ireland is the derby. Beating France out of competition is impressive, but ... time to find yourselves an annual tournament and let the passion flow.

The ABs and SA is the classic derby. For Wales, Scotland and Ireland, it's England. For England, France. I guess the French consider the ABs as their derby, outside of the 6N - but they screwed it up in Nov 06. [/b]

Well shtove there's also kind of proximity implied by the notion of derby and although the distance is long for many years Argentina was the only nation of latin background which was a challenge. More recently with the high number of Pumas playing French club Rugby the traditional friendship between the two nations has strenghen up. So I tend to agree that there's some of the derby ingredients in a France - Argentina match. They are the team that know the best the French way of Rugby and I think the French are those who kno the best the Argentinian way of Rugby.

If Italy follows on improving it can be another derby.

In the former times there used to be what was called la coupe latine/copa latina/latin cup played by Argentina, France, Italy and Roumania. It would be nice that the A teams of Argenina, Italy and France play it again with Roumania, and why not adding Uruguay, Chile, Spain and Portugal.

The ABs and SA is the classic derby. For Wales, Scotland and Ireland, it's England. For England, France. I guess the French consider the ABs as their derby, outside of the 6N - but they screwed it up in Nov 06.
[/b]

Mmmm the RWC all that matters for Argentina?? We don´t think so. This is every 4 years , between the RWC what matters are the international tests.
As as I told you nobody here thinks of Ireland as a derby (does not mean we underestimate you). The games against France are far more important.

All international teams have historic derbies. NZ- Aus, Canada - USA, Tonga-Samoa- Fiji., ect.

Argentina`s neighbours , although improving a lot, are still too weak to consider them classic matches. So this triggers a question. Which matches are considered to be derbies in Argentina .
Many people tend to think Ireland is one. That`s wrong as Ireland and Arg rugby historic ties are not that strong; besides being the first international team beaten by and argentinian rugby team (Club Pucara 15- Ireland 12 , in 1952) and having an advantage in the international matches; they are not a derby. This regardless of the IRB drawing Arg and Ire in the same pool of the RWC for 3 consecutive tournaments.

Argentina`s real derby is France, and french posters will sure recognize this. Troughout history Argentina and France had awsome rugby clashes (mostly won by the french) and there has been great friendship between this rugby nations.

Finally for considering any match a derby, both parts must recognize this. I do not know the irish opinion, but we don`t consider Ireland a derby. [/b]

Off topic though an Irishman did found the Argentinian Navy, maybe he played a bit of rugby too? :p .

I wouldn't call it a derby both for geographical reasons and the fact that teams do not play regularly enough for one to develop (ie at least once a year). There is a healthy RWC rivalry developing mainly due to being drawn together too often, but hopefully a new seeding system will sort that out in 2011.

But a normal test match against Argentina would not be percieved as a big game here in terms of public interest, compared to say if England were in town.

Also you forgot to mention Ireland vs England, Wales vs England and Scotland vs England in the derby list ;) .

Latest posts