• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

arm strenght

janispodins

Academy Player
I need help on a arm exercise program.
want to get stronger and bigger arms. to make the tackles even harder.
would be great if someone could hep me on this. :)

Push ups, weights, pull ups repetition.
These things will get you already somewhere.

yes , I'm already doing weights, push ups, pull ups.
looking for new, more specific and effective workouts.

If you want powerful tackles then its your legs you should be working. Squats all day.

As ranger said its your explosive power from your legs you want to be working for tackling. Arms dont have a huge part to play.

I've found forearms workouts to help tackling the most. Gives you better grip and wrist control, which makes it easier to grab a hold of the jersey and bring em down. I have a couple different excercies that I do for the forearm. First is reverse grip curls with a curved barbell. Next I grab some dumb bells and do wrist curls in 3 different motions. One with my palm up, next with the side of my wrist facing up and finally one with the back of my hand up. Lastly, grab two straight bar bells, put 45's on each end, grab pick up a bar in each hand and use your wrists to balance them.

If you want powerful tackles then its your legs you should be working. Squats all day.

I agree that leg/back strength is the key to "big hits" when the tackler is squared up with the runner but shoulder/bicep/forearm/hand strength is the key to finishing tackles in the open field when the runner is at a difficult angle.

yes , I'm already doing weights, push ups, pull ups.
looking for new, more specific and effective workouts.

If you're looking to strengthen your shoulders, forearms and hands here are some exercises that you may not have heard of...

1) Shoulders

Hindu Pushups-no bodyweight exercise isolates the entire shoulder like these do

2) Forearms

Lever lifts
Wrist curls

3) Hands

Towel Grip Barbell Curl
Towel Grip Farmers Walk
Tennis Ball Exercises
Chinese Hand Ball exercises

Obviously I'm a big believer in simplicity and intensity. Remember...DON'T MISS WORKOUTS AND GET PLENTY OF REST!

I agree that leg/back strength is the key to "big hits" when the tackler is squared up with the runner but shoulder/bicep/forearm/hand strength is the key to finishing tackles in the open field when the runner is at a difficult angle.

I don't really know about that mate.. the guy said he wants his tackles to be harder. No matter the angle of the runner, the thrust of a tackle should always come from the legs.
He also didnt say anything about wanting to finish tackles more efficiently..

Aye, the power in the hit comes from the legs/core
The arms are just there to hold on to the person/drag them down (if you're chasing them)

The only time you would want alot of arm strength through a tackle would be if you were draggging someone down by the jersey which means for the most part your using the wrong technique try hit with the shoulders everytime driving through with your legs as Ranger said.

Wrestling is the best strength exercise you can do. Because i don't know where you live I can't advise you on where to go to get this work, but you can get good wrestling skills from MMA and UFC clubs if you have those. You do not want to focus on weights because they will cause you to lose flexiablity which will get you more yellow cards for not getting you arms in the tackle than big hits. The guys have been right in recommending push-up and pull-ups. I myself am rehabing from Biceps surgury last season. I have picked up P90X and it is well worth it. I have gained great flexiablity and strenght through P90X. The big thing about hitting hard is endurance and flexiablity. I played College Football (NFL type not soccer) and picked up rugby when I moved to OZ 4 years ago. Football you can be big and deliver big hits because of the breaks in action. It's like pushing on a spring then releasing and you get the one off results. In Rugby every muscle you have must have endurance because you are carring it around the park for minutes without a break. If you try and hit someone after running 15m to get behind the ruck and then go to deliver the hit and you are not fit you might as well be 50kg because thats what strength you are bringing to the party. If you are sold on putting on mass then follow a heavy day and light day program where you do very little reps and sets with heavy weight and follow that with a superset with high reps and ligth weight. One Biceps workout I used to do is a set of 12,10,8,6 Standing bicep curls with progressive weight gains as you moved from 12 to 6. Then I would grab say 20kg and 10kg dumbbells and do a superset of hammer curls with them. During the superset you do 12 hammers with each arm at 20kg and then with no rest do a set of 12 sets with the 10kg. this will stretch the muscles you just inflated with the standard curls. You will also get an amazing forearm pump too.

Aye, the power in the hit comes from the legs/core
The arms are just there to hold on to the person/drag them down (if you're chasing them)

I absolutely agree...leg strength is vital to drive through the runner when you're squared up or at a reasonable angle BUT...upper body(yes, this includes the arms)/core strength is required to wrap up/subdue the runner when the tackler is unable to drive through the runner while in pursuit or at a difficult angle.

I absolutely agree...leg strength is vital to drive through the runner when you're squared up or at a reasonable angle BUT...upper body(yes, this includes the arms)/core strength is required to wrap up/subdue the runner when the tackler is unable to drive through the runner while in pursuit or at a difficult angle.

No i still don't agree with that. You always drive through the runner to deliver big hits. If you are in pursuit and unable to bring your legs into the equation then its not going to be a very powerful tackle is it.. Thats what he asked for after all. He isn't going to get his tackling too much more powerful by working his arms, he should probably be made aware of this.

No i still don't agree with that. You always drive through the runner to deliver big hits. If you are in pursuit and unable to bring your legs into the equation then its not going to be a very powerful tackle is it.. Thats what he asked for after all. He isn't going to get his tackling too much more powerful by working his arms, he should probably be made aware of this.

Apologies. Didn't read the Thread Starter's original post closely enough.

These exercise are the best for the arm strength and get big muscle.
if there is no result join the gym for the muscle.

Hi janispodins,
This is the best arm exercise I can share with you as I am doing this in routine.
Barbell wrist curls 2 sets
Reverse wrist curls with dumbbells 2 sets
Behind the back wrist curls 2 sets
You can modify according to your strength.

Latest posts