• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

As a rugby fan, what/who do you look forward to over the next 4 years?

GoTheNaki

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
I can only hope that Japan 2019 will build on this. This World Cup was fantastic, we have seen a lot of great talent. We have seen an(some) amazing upset(s).

The questions I cannot wait to be answered, as a rugby fan are:

What will the NH teams do now? Who is going to burst onto the stage? But I don't really think it works like that up there, does it? Amazing talent just BURSTING onto the scenes. How is England going to implement their JWC winning players, to attempt to make a NH behemoth?

South Africa, oh boy, how good is that team going to be.. The will lose a few players by 2019, but having De Jager, Etzebeth, Pollard(Who I feel is going to be a thorn in NZ's side), Kriel, De Allende, players that I only assume are going to make a fantastic team.

Those Argentinians, well... We must all worry about this country. They have really put themselves on the radar, not like they hadn't in 2007. But with their involvement in the Rugby Championship, and their new Super Rugby team, the only way is up, perhaps, unfortunately for every other rugby nation. We will see.

With Australia getting an ITM-like rugby provincial competition, how good can Cheika make this team, having 4 years and not just 1. I am sure we are going to witness some game breaking players come into the Australian team. What people don't understand is that, Australia didn't have the grassroots rugby like some countries, super-athletic players stop playing because it's quite hard for them to progress. I've had people tell me there are absolute athletic freaks over there, typically, they are of Aboriginal or Fijian decent.

The players from NZ specifically that I am highly interested in watching over the next few years are:

Akira Ioane
Ardie Savea
Mitchell Karpik
Aaron Cruden
Damian McKenzie
NMS
Ngani Laumape
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
Rieko Ioane
Seta Tamanivalu

Probably forgotten a couple of people, but those are the ones that I'll be keeping an eye on, for sure.

Akira Ioane has the potential to be the greatest No8 ever - he is that good. The world has never seen a no8 like him.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're a number 8, and beat the most defenders in the ITM Cup... Yeah, well...

I still think he'll be the All Blacks' number 6. I think he's going to be better than Kaino.

Last edited:
Looking forward to The Reds sacking R. Graham before the season over in 2016.
The Wallabies taking out the double next year.
The Reds finishing around 8th in the Super Rugby. (I would be happy with that)
Toulon taking out the Top 14.

Well I am looking forward at a new era at the Bulls after Frans Ludeke. In the Currie Cup we have played some exciting rugby and most of it was due to this guy:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2DcCs5KD8bA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you're a number 8, and beat the most defenders in the ITM Cup... Yeah, well...

I still think he'll be the All Blacks' number 6. I think he's going to be better than Kaino.

I can see the likes of Nonu and Elliot dixon getting stomped on in that first video. This guy is no joke and I think he's an out an out 8. I really think it will be a travesty if he's shuffled to 6 constantly because of Read likely captaining the team. He's still only 21 or so though so he probably wont realistically get a go at the AB's for a couple of years unless he's totally devastating for all of those years.

For me right now Brad Shields is the best back up 6 in the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I am looking forward at a new era at the Bulls after Frans Ludeke. In the Currie Cup we have played some exciting rugby and most of it was due to this guy:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2DcCs5KD8bA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Wow, dont want to be rude about it but that guy has an unusual amount of awareness/skill for a SA fullback!!! Looks great, look forward to seeing him in super rugby!

Last edited:
I can see the likes of Nonu and Elliot dixon getting stomped on in that first video. This guy is no joke and I think he's an out an out 8. I really think it will be a travesty if he's shuffled to 6 constantly because of Read likely captaining the team.

For me right now Brad Shields is the best back up 6 in the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, dont want to be rude about it but that guy has an unusual amount of awareness/skill for a SA fullback!!! Looks great, look forward to seeing him in super rugby!

Yeah! He's a star in the making, and he's only 20!

The Bulls Backline could look like this:

9. Francois Hougaard
10. Handre Pollard
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JJ Engelbrecht
15. Warwick Gelant

9. Francois Hougaard
10. Handre Pollard
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JJ Engelbrecht
15. Warwick Gelant

South Africa has had a huge boost in youthful talent in the last five years, mainly due to the success of the Varsity Cup. Now players have the opportunity to shine and get attention not only at Craven week, but also by just playing for their university. In this years Varsity Cup, 69% of semi finalist players had played varsity cup and 30 of the 46 finalist players came from Varsity Cup. Plus the under 19 and under 21 Currie Cup as well as Vodacom Cup keep other young talent busy as well, so we really have some great systems in place for developing post high school talent.

Akira Ioane
Ardie Savea
Mitchell Karpik
Aaron Cruden
Damian McKenzie
NMS
Ngani Laumape
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
Rieko Ioane
Seta Tamanivalu

Always good for fantasy Super Rugby to read these names. I picked up Akira Ioane and Nehe Milner Skudder both as free agents early on and they carried me to our league final (where my whole team subsequently all decided to have their wrst week all at the same time).

I'm sure Argentina with the inclusion in the RC and now SR will just continue to go frm strength to strength and Aussie's domestic league to bridge that gap they've always had will stand them in good stead as well but I don't share your enthusiasm for SA.

I don't know whether its just the day-to-day in SA that's getting me down but the fact we have to contend with heavy racial quotas going forward WILL bite us big time. At least for the near and mid-term future. Who knows though. We'll have to wait and see. All I know is that the SARU are either hamstrung by politics, unwilling or just incompetent to actually get SA rugby moving ahead. Meyer looks likely to remain at the head. I suppose it could've been worse- I mean we had P Divvy- but still. I am not 100% optimistic for our chances goig forward and it hurts because like you I see the potential of our core of young guys that could potentially form the base for something of a golden generation.

9. Francois Hougaard
10. Handre Pollard
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JJ Engelbrecht
15. Warwick Gelant

Uh oh...

What is the racial quotas about btw? I mean, I get what it means, but what are the requirements?

9. Francois Hougaard
10. Handre Pollard
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JJ Engelbrecht
15. Warwick Gelant

Wow thats a handy backline, bulls should be a force this super comp

- - - Updated - - -

Jerome Kaino was pretty much beast mode from the QF on-wards at the world cup. He was smashing everything that ran remotely near him. Akira doesnt have that same sought of presance on defense, that is a special gift Kaino has, I put our world cup victory built upon Kainos shoulders. But Akira is unbeliveably rampant on attack for a loose forward, He is an out and out no8, he is physically HUGE but switchs between a fleet footed back and a mack truck. The way he breaks every first and often 2nd tackle defies belief. SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL player.

I really rate Elliot Dixon, he is highly industrious and does a huge amount of work with big impact. He is a perfect sub off the bench for a future All Blacks team. Look just what did for the Highlanders championship winning team.

Uh oh...

What is the racial quotas about btw? I mean, I get what it means, but what are the requirements?

The plan of the quotas are that the local rugby scene is enforced to play more ethnic black players. That means players from Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele, Venda, Tsonga, Shangaan, Tshwana, etc. - Decension. Players that are coloured/mixed race doesn't form part of the quota formulation. That includes players like Damien De Allende, JP Pietersen, Bryan Habana, Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, to name a few springboks.

How it will be enforced however is something I think that is going to be very tricky, especially since all the Franchises/Unions that are part of Super Rugby have already secured contracts with players and these contracts are for between 2 - 5 years. If the government enforces this policy, some players could take the Department of Sport and the Union to the labour court.

But let's wait and see what happens...

Uh oh...

50% Non-white of which 60% (so 30% of the total) has to be 'African black' and not 'mixed race' or other 'race'. I know; its absolutely ridiculous that this is an issue in 2016. SANZAR and World Rugbby should just go ahead and ban us from competing but I don't think they have the balls because racial discrimination against whites isn't racism is it.

Wow thats a handy backline, bulls should be a force this super comp

The depth is also there in the backs. They have Rudy Paige at 9, Burger Odendaal is a handy one to cover the centers and I'd actually prefer Jamaba Ulengo on one of the wings (probably ahead of Basson) as he could make the step up and fill the void we have in SA for quality wings. He is a bit unpolished though. Kriel could cover 15.

The Bulls will be going with a new(ish) look pack though so there is a lot of question marks and a big lack of experience in the team despite the exciting youths. Bulls also traditionally travel poorly but I exect we'll see them in the play-off mix. IMO I have 4 teams from the SA conferences competing for those 3 spots: Stormers, Lions, Bulls and los Jaguares from Argentina. I expect the first 3 to go through.

ITO the OP, my hope is Eddie Jones has enough time to work his magic with the Stormers and that he manages to help secure the services of a halfback combination that can take the team to a potential ***le. We have good talent but we lack excellence in key positions (notably 2, 9, 10 and 15).

50% Non-white of which 60% (so 30% of the total) has to be 'African black' and not 'mixed race' or other 'race'. I know; its absolutely ridiculous that this is an issue in 2016. SANZAR and World Rugbby should just go ahead and ban us from competing but I don't think they have the balls because racial discrimination against whites isn't racism is it.

The depth is also there in the backs. They have Rudy Paige at 9, Burger Odendaal is a handy one to cover the centers and I'd actually prefer Jamaba Ulengo on one of the wings (probably ahead of Basson) as he could make the step up and fill the void we have in SA for quality wings. He is a bit unpolished though. Kriel could cover 15.

The Bulls will be going with a new(ish) look pack though so there is a lot of question marks and a big lack of experience in the team despite the exciting youths. Bulls also traditionally travel poorly but I exect we'll see them in the play-off mix. IMO I have 4 teams from the SA conferences competing for those 3 spots: Stormers, Lions, Bulls and los Jaguares from Argentina. I expect the first 3 to go through.

ITO the OP, my hope is Eddie Jones has enough time to work his magic with the Stormers and that he manages to help secure the services of a halfback combination that can take the team to a potential ***le. We have good talent but we lack excellence in key positions (notably 2, 9, 10 and 15).

So.........

If it's a 31 man squad... 4.5 people need to be... "proper black"...? Is that really a problem? I mean, I know it is 2015 and all, and stuff like that is completely and utterly ridiculous. Like, honestly? How can this even be allowed lol... But, I would have thought this would be quite easy?

Anyway, this is a little off topic...

But, in regards to the next 4 years, I was just scanning through French rugby teams, and holy hell... A lot of Australian players have left Super Rugby... Genia, Ashley-Cooper, Nic White, Kepu, Jesse Mogg... I guess if you can play for the Wallabies, you go where the $$ is..

So.........

If it's a 31 man squad... 4.5 people need to be... "proper black"...? Is that really a problem? I mean, I know it is 2015 and all, and stuff like that is completely and utterly ridiculous. Like, honestly? How can this even be allowed lol... But, I would have thought this would be quite easy?

But, in regards to the next 4 years, I was just scanning through French rugby teams, and holy hell... A lot of Australian players have left Super Rugby... Genia, Ashley-Cooper, Nic White, Kepu, Jesse Mogg... I guess if you can play for the Wallabies, you go where the $$ is..

30% of 31 is 9.3 though. That needn't be the death of SA but a lot depends on little interpretations and the exact executation of which a lot is unclear (at least to the public);

- do we round up or down?
- is this for squads, match day squads or starting XV and again how does the above need to be calculated?
- what happens when our black players are injured and we don't have direct black replacements for them?
- what are our franchizes to do with existing contracts? IE if we have to add black players for quota purposes (most of teams aren't in line yet) who foots the bill for either the unused contracted players or additional contracts for black players?

Its just a mess. Imagine a team like the Stormers and we just make the quota but Scarra Ntubeni gets injured at hooker. Do we now have to make 2 changes to the team because Mike Willemse at hooker is white and we need to fit in 1 more black player. It just makes an already tough selecion/rotation job that much more difficult.

Last edited:
So.........

Nope, it means 9.3 out of 31, with 15.5 out of 31 non-white.

going to be interesting how many people list the rugby championship or any internationals for that matter, definitely more interested in domestic

Looking foward to the 6 Nations opening up with Georgia, Romania and others getting a chance to get in -through a playoff me againsy the wooden spoon or something of the sort. Really expecting European rugby insititutions to deliver on this. Also eager to see how the Argentinian and Japanese franchises fare in Super rugby.

As a German, I am really looking forward to how our international XV will do.
I usually do not care about German sports sides, but as Rugby's quite tiny and I do have a soft spot for "underdogs", I am quite curious how they will do.
They are becoming better and better. Maybe, we'll qualify for the World Cup one day... *dreaming*

I mostly follow the Pumas only, and try to see some other international rugby matches here and there, so I am very excited to have the SR franchise to see rugby all year long :)

Latest posts