Flintoff 1-54 from 10 overs

---------------------------------

In reply ENG - all out for 181

Strauss 67
Collingwood 35

Tait 3-21 from 8 overs

----------------------------------

Ouch!

England haven't had any consistency since the Ashes last year.

At the moment I can't see the trophy going anywhere except Australia.

I don't think they've done too badly considering the injuries, obviously just talking about tests here, was no mean feat to draw that series in India and their Summer tests went fairly well bar the third test with Sri Lanka.

I wouldn't write off England just yet, fair enough you're missing Jones and Vaughan but Vaughan may yet feature and there's still enough in the bowling attack to cause the Aussies some serious problems.

we have only really lost jones' reverse swing, we have plenty of quality cover for vaughan, might miss his captaincy but freddie will do the job. jones is a big loss though

I think the pitches down under will really suit Flintoff, Harmison and Mahmood. I'm really looking forward to see just how much bite and pace Mahmood can put into his deliveries.

The problem lies in my honest opinion with our batting line up. Strauss never looked clever against Warne, Trestothick looked like a total rabbit against McGrath and poor Ian Bell just looked a total bundle of nerves against any of the Aussie bowlers.

Cook is untested and Collingwood's form against the aussies is iffy at best. If there is any time for the English batsmen to actually step up and make something of themselves for once instead of undoing all the hard work the bowlers do like they usually do, now is the time!

Well with the inevitable targeting of Flintoff and Pieterson it's crucial for England that Strauss, Trescothick and Cook really step up to the mark and make consistent scores throuhout the series.

England will have to play even better than they did in last year's series to even come close to Australia in this series. I agree Read is streaks ahead of Jones in terms of both his keeping and batting.

Went to the PM's game yesterday at Manuka Oval (Canberra). Well, let's just say England got flogged with a near full strength line-up!! By a team that is no where near as good as the current Aussies.

Final score:

PM's - 5/347

def

England - 181

BTW, it was very much a batting wicket.

yes, but you forget that England can't play One dayers to save their life. also last year was the first time a lot of our team had played the aussies, so this year they will have the experience and know what to expect. bell is a much better batsman now than he was last year and has been playing well lately so he will do fine, tresco will be one of the stars for england this year, having a break will have done him good.

Phil Jaques has just smashed his second century against the poms in 3 days

He must be a great chance of getting an Ashes spot now

This is the Aussie team i'd like to see for the first test...

1.Hayden
2.Langer
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Hussey
6.Watson
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.Lee
10.Tait
11.McGrath

Jaques,S.Clarke,M.Clarke,Johnson,Rogers,Hodge,Braken,McGill,Katich,D.Hussey,Symonds all waiting for someone to f@#k up :D

Hell, our 'B' team could win the Ashes

:%#%#: Unbelievable Geraint Jones is to keep instead of Chris Read in the first test. I think Fletcher has to go you cant have a coach who picks his favourites over better players, also wouldnt be suprised if giles plays instead of panesar too

and now trescothick has gone home it just gets better
[/b]

possibly for the best...can you imagine the abuse he'd have got from the Aussie crowds if he'd have stayed and soldiered on.

I suppose so, at least we have cook who can step into the opening role.

this is the team i would pick

Strauss
Cook
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Read
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar
Anderson

although it does contain 4 no 11s!

however we all know fatty fletcher will pick his favourites with GoJo and giles in instead of read and panesar

I suppose so, at least we have cook who can step into the opening role.

this is the team i would pick

Strauss
Cook
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Read
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar
Anderson

although it does contain 4 no 11s!

however we all know fatty fletcher will pick his favourites with GoJo and giles in instead of read and panesar
[/b]

How many of our players could you say are really in form.

well with the bat struass, pietersen, cook and flintoff are in a bit of form, i expect strauss and pietersen to do well this tour with at least a couple of centurys each.

Bowling wise i dont think any of our players in form! perhaps anderson is in a bit of form hes so inconsistant it doesnt mean much

and Joyce has now replaced Trescothick, seems a strange one, thought Key was a shoe in.

Anyway the Australian squad has been named,

Australia squad: R Ponting (captain), M Hayden, J Langer, D Martyn, M Hussey, S Watson, A Gilchrist (wkt), S Warne, B Lee, G McGrath, S Clark, M Johnson, S Tait.

Latest posts