• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 4th Test

A

An Tarbh

So the Ashes are done and dusted as far as the urn is concerned but the whitewash remains a distinct possibility for the Aussies plus there's also the small matter of Shane Warne getting his 700th test wicket which is bound to keep the crowds pretty high I'd imagine, then there's the matter of pride for England in avoiding the whitewash.

England have won the toss and will bat which seems slightly surprising given the conditions but chances are they know a bit more about the weather out there than muggins sitting here in the front room in Dublin.

One change for England with Read replacing Jones, idiotic that Read was dropped in the first place.

Australia unchanged as expected, will be interesting to see how quickly Warne gets the 700th wicket.

so it only took into the afternoon session for Warne to get that 700th wicket, England now 101-4

Eng all out for 150-odd, Warney taking yet another 5-for. Fitting for the legend to go out in style.

Unless Eng can conjure up some real magic with the ball, I reckon it`s going 4-0.

plus there does seem to be a drive from the Aussies to complete the whitewash and extra motivation considering it's something this team hasn't done yet.

yeah this is great to watch!!!!

i love watching wickets fall and where its a good close contest.

good to see that hussey is human and getting out before making a 50. same goes for ponting.

We need to turn the screw. The problem we have of course is that there is still so much batting to come.

well Hayden and Symonds have taken it away from England now, lead of over 200 with 3 wickets left. Should be 4-0 by the close of play tomorow.

Brilliant

I must say i like a close TEST, and i feel for the poms.......i didnt want another smashing....but if it means Symmo getting a 150, and Watson back on the backburner - just bring it

**** off Watson.......Roy has come to play!!!

the thing i like about the aussies is the depth. first test watson was a sure thing, was injured they bring in clarke who has scored a centry (or two i cant keep up) then martyn retires, watson still injured and symonds gets a chance, 100 in this game. they just cant go wrong.

and with warne going, you still have mcgill, though he is getting on a bit. but you also have hogg as well.

mcgrath you have clark cricky when are you guys going to give up?

the thing i like about the aussies is the depth. first test watson was a sure thing, was injured they bring in clarke who has scored a centry (or two i cant keep up) then martyn retires, watson still injured and symonds gets a chance, 100 in this game. they just cant go wrong.

and with warne going, you still have mcgill, though he is getting on a bit. but you also have hogg as well.

mcgrath you have clark cricky when are you guys going to give up?
[/b]

we have the best cricket development programs in the world

i dont mean to sound arrogant but its true

unlike other sports we play like Rugby, League, AFL etc

Cricket is played in all states, thus gets more attention, and way more funding when it comes to the grass roots - where it all begins

We have the weather which suits cricket to a tee...in Engand weather can hinder development
We dont have the All Blacks, where in NZ alot of young athletic talent would prefer
We dont have soccer, where in UK alot of young athletic talent would prefer
Union is played in 2 states - with WA on new turf
AFL is played in all states - but really gets its growth from SA, WA and Vic........but VFL/AFL was evented to keep the cricketers fit in winter back in the late 1800's, so in a sense this sport is a cricketers cold weather hobby......we have a many dual sportsmand in AFL and cricket, that made top grade in both sports.....you never see that with Rugby n cricket

We have Shane Warne, Ponting n McGrath........every little kid in aussie, knows who they are.
Unlike Joey Johns - nobody knows him in South Australia

Also approx 5-10hours of primary school hisotry education revolves around DON BRADMAN...in all states.

It begins at a young age...and we nurture it very well indeed.
This doesnt mean we are the best through time........but it means we dont spend much time at the bottom, or mid-ranked........and occasionally like of late......we can dominate when in the same generation you get telant like Warne, McGrath, Ponting.

You could say the same thing for the sub-continent - its their religion..........but they could do it better, and dominate like nobody else, but i believe that is hindered with $$, resources and the like, as the subcontinent is riddled with poverty, and some potential stars would fall into this poverty circle at a young age and be forgotton/lost.

When someone in Australia sees an under 10 yr ole lands a leggy on the pitch...he is in a sense kidnapped, and taken to cricket clinics, nutured, and kept in the game.

I played rep when i was under 16 for North NSW........the amount of bowling, batting, fielding and clinics you are involved with, borderlines taking nostalgia out of a kids life....i found the escape when i was 16 when i realised i was missing out on a REAL growing up experience..........of course i semi regret this now, as I could be out there smashing Panaser...but in reality we all know its those that stick to the commitment, are the ones that are rewarded. :)

No double hundred for Symonds, but Warne going along nicely, think the maiden century though might be too much of an ask, but given that they only look like batting once it could happen, provided Clark can stick around.

i got the guniess book of records for xmas

Warne - holds the world record for most runs in a career without a century

I thought the 1st time i saw Warne in that book it would have been for a good record

He should not retire, and take some batting practice

oh well at least he's moved down the list for the record number of ducks with McGrath just overtaking him for no. 35, bet that's why he's retiring as well, doesn't want to catch up with Walsh

ARRGH, i'm so frustrated... i stayed up to watch the cricket last night hoping for a momnetuos fight back but agian English sport let me down..

it's just embarassing, we will defo concede the whitewash now, it doesn't make any sense.. a year ago with a similar squad we won and now this....

ARRGH, i'm so frustrated... i stayed up to watch the cricket last night hoping for a momnetuos fight back but agian English sport let me down..

it's just embarassing, we will defo concede the whitewash now, it doesn't make any sense.. a year ago with a similar squad we won and now this....
[/b]

If Simon Jones was fresh and you picked Monty from the get go, it would have been a nailbiting series

Latest posts