• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Attoub Banned for 70 Weeks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 19 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
********.[/b]

As is your argument that players shouldn't be punished for taking illegal and dangerous drugs. But lets not get into that.

What is also ******** is your argument that deliberately setting out to cause harm to another player by raking their face twice isn't as bad as gouging.

What next? Are you going to suggest that punching another player in the gut isn't as bad as punching someone in the nose?

Trying to compare utterly violent and thuggish acts by equating them with embezzlement and stealing is utter rubbish. Please do try harder.

Nothing more to say what Ginger did, completely agree with his opinion.

Elgringo perfectly showed,by a basic comparison, how mad this decision is.
Hope that beside the appeal that will certainly be filled, institutions here will support this player (even if don't really appreciate him too) and go over the decision for national competition as they did with Tincu.

Unless ERC quickly create and stick to a standart scale of punishment for all, decisions like this one will step by step deteriorate the climate and the acceptance of the rules this sport was recognized to show.
We were used to face provocations to ban players from the field, the next steps of simulation and unrespect for the ref (thank you Football) are coming soon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Jan 19 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nothing more to say what Ginger did, completely agree with his opinion.

Elgringo perfectly showed,by a basic comparison, how mad this decision is.
Hope that beside the appeal that will certainly be filled, institutions here will support this player (even if don't really appreciate him too) and go over the decision for national competition as they did with Tincu.

Unless ERC quickly create and stick to a standart scale of punishment for all, decisions like this one will step by step deteriorate the climate and the acceptance of the rules this sport was recognized to show.
We were used to face provocations to ban players from the field, the next steps of simulation and unrespect for the ref (thank you Football) are coming soon[/b]

Surely 70 weeks will suffice, should soon stamp that out.

In a sport which diving is also becoming commonplace (I spotted 3 instances of it this weekend alone in the HEC) & not forgetting that increasingly some players blatently lie to officials, as this one-upsmanship continues from the citing boards and their ilk I see things getting worse from here on in as Marshall law takes over.

You know what? This is my sliding scale, I call it the gallows:

Punching, gouging, raking, kicking, fighting, brawling all get:

gallows.jpg

In my law there are no scales, there are no "extenuating circumstances", theres right and then theres wrong.

Ladies and Gents, this is why the Jamie Bulger murderers got out after barely 10 years. Because apparently murdering someone at the age of 12 is different to murdering someone at the age of 21.

:D

Don't clearly understand your position Prestwick

What's happening here is exactly the opposite of what you're claiming for.
For the same action, one takes 7, the other 70... They must have found some difference somewhere for such a delta

Just read an interview of Attoub. The Judge asked him how long until the end of his contract with Paris. After Attoub answered 24 month, he told that he didn't want to go over the end of it...

What's the matter with a contract end has to do with a judging decision wich normally has to only take into account all the elements of a dangerous action/behaviour ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 19 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So what are we saying here? Those who blatantly gouge or rake the eyes should be given a lighter sentence purely because the presiding legal official might have acted leniently against another club for a different offence in the past? I simply cannot agree with that.[/b]

Sanctions have to be equal and fair compared to each other , not depending on the wind . i have never said that it has to be a lighter sentence but there should be the same rule for everybody , it is the basic of justice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 19 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gouging is completely different to match fixing or corruption. All the parties involved in "Bloodgate" (Harlequins, Mark Evans, etc) have a chance to start over and recover. Someone who has his eyesight irretrievably damaged by a finger cannot start over. His career will have been ended.[/b]

i do not agree with that. gouging is not a prepared plan , it is a decision of a moment when you are in a middle of a match of rugby. "Bloodgate" is not rugby , it is litteraly cheating and prepared. I do not say gouging is a part of rugby but , from my POV , if it has no consequences , the intention could be more "forgivable" in this contact sport (why we do not judge all guys who want to punch somebody else ? as well there is intention and there could be very bad injuries by punching somebody eye or face...you think maybe that eye gouge would be more vicious ? it is really too much open to interpretations all of that ). For example and i told it already , i have been more shocked by Traille taking the leg of Habana in november to beat his own teammate Clerc , it is far from rugby spirit for me .

I think we should say that an intention of eye gouge should be punished by the exact same sanction each time , that would be fair cause if you let 1 person being able to choose the gravity or the lenght of the sanction (or almost ...http://www.ercrugby.com/images/content/cupstandard/IRB_Sanctions.pdf ) , there won't be fair judgements . An eye gouge with injury consequences should deserve a very long ban . There is too few judges at the ERC commission and they have too much freedom to take important decisions like that...and i guess that it is always a little bit same guys (from a "panel" as it is said in the text below) who are part of the "Independant ERC disciplinary commission" . Defenetly some work to do at this level , being more serious and not letting a bunch of guys being in position to take so important decisions .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
) Citing Commissioner
a) Citing Commissioners will be appointed by ERC for all Heineken Cup and all televised Amlin Challenge Cup matches and shall be entitled to cite a Player for any act or acts of Foul Play that in the Citing Commissioner's opinion warranted a citing.
x) For such matches Clubs will not have the power to cite a player but may refer incidents to the Citing Commissioner within 24 hours of the conclusion of the match.
C) The Citing Commissioner will have 50 hours from the start of the game to make a citing and the determination of the Citing Commissioner will be final and binding. In exceptional circumstances this deadline can be extended.
d) The Disciplinary Officer may forward the submitted Citing to a Citing Officer to determine whether there are sufficient grounds for the citing to progress.
e) The Disciplinary Officer will then bring a charge against the cited player.

(ii) Citing Officer
a) for Amlin Challenge Cup games which are not on live television, where a player is cited by either of the clubs competing in the match, his case shall be immediately referred to the Citing Officer.
x) The citing must be submitted in writing and received by the Citing Officer within 50 hours of the start of the match. The Citing Officer will consider the citing and decide whether the player cited has a case to answer.
C) After this review, if the Citing Officer determines there is no case to answer, no further action will be taken. The determination of the Citing Officer will be final and binding.
d) Should the Citing Officer decide there is a case to answer he will notify the Disciplinary Officer and the Disciplinary Officer will then bring a charge against the cited player.
e) This case will then proceed to a Disciplinary Hearing.

(iii) Independent Disciplinary Hearing
a) Citing hearings will be heard by an independent Judicial Officer as soon as is practicable. Until the hearing a cited player is eligible to play in ERC tournaments
x) The independent Judicial Officer is chosen by the Chairman of the independent Disciplinary Panel, Professor Lorne Crerar.
C) The ERC Disciplinary Officer, Roger O'Connor, presents the case against the player
d) Both parties to the hearing (ERC and the player) have the right to appeal decisions of the independent Disciplinary Hearing. Appeals must be lodged within 72 hours of receiving the full written decision from the Chairman of the independent Disciplinary Committee
e) The full written decision of the independent Judicial Officer will be available on ercrugby.com/disciplinenews when the disciplinary process is complete.[/b]

There is only one guy at each level who takes decisions and it does not seem to me a good way to judge all of that fairly , I think there should be more people , at least one of each country in this commission. Even if somebody can be reconized as not partial , he will always be influencable...at least by his education ans his culture.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Attoub, Best, Dupuy and Hartley as gouging is incredibly barbaric. In fact, we're the only contact sport in the world that suffers from an epidemic of gouging.

We need to ask ourselves why Rugby suffers from gouging. Why are we the only sport that is blighted by this evil act and why do our authorities apply the law either ineffectively and without consistency?![/b]

Bad habits from the past maybe . and we have to fight it without doubt . you (or somebody else) were saying that there would be a lot of eye gouge in France , i do not think so as i do not think that french rugby (today) would be more violent than some other european rugby (in the past yeah , it is explainable by the fact that french rugby grew up with "basic people" as english rugby grew up as more or less a posh sport at scholl so with educated people ). if you look at ERC sanctions decisions in the past , let says since 2000 , there are not so many frenchies , certainly not more than any other european country but often it is an "exemplary" sanction .

I want to add a little tease as well : Jeff blackett is an ex royal navy officer and when you know a bit of a history (for example some exocet missiles sold by frenchies to argentinan army during falkland war sinking some royal navy ships...) , i'm clearly questioning the judgement of this guy . Several english guys talked to me about this falkland story in London , a story that obviously you never hear in FR , and so i'm guessing that this guy , as impartial he could be , could easily let his "royal navy" emotions and his "royal navy" culture speaking when he has to judge a french guy. Maybe i'm wrong and maybe he is a good guy... but i think we should eliminate almost every obvious things that can transform a judgement in a failure .

Anyway i do not want to remake all the rugby disciplinary rules in one post , it is not so easy and even if we change things , there will be always some unhappy people somewhere . For our case , I think the sanction is really huge . i think the 2 biggest sanctions about ERC is 2 frenchies : 2 years for a french guy in 1999 for eye gouge and this one for attoub . i do not talk about sanction for drug use .

And just a reminder :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunio...g-incident.html

there has been consequences for haskell on this one , it seems much more serious than what did Attoub....or Dupuy...

It's nothing to do with the Royal Navy. Blackett is simply a complete tosser who hates everyone that doesn't play for Wasps or England. As I mentioned earlier, Blackett gave Best 18 weeks even though the charge of malicious gouging was cleared.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 19 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's nothing to do with the Royal Navy. Blackett is simply a complete tosser who hates everyone that doesn't play for Wasps or England. As I mentioned earlier, Blackett gave Best 18 weeks even though the charge of malicious gouging was cleared.[/b]

this story of royal navy was a tease to explain my thought about the importance that a culture or education can have on interpretations of things . So it is important to have more people to judge , more protection for players regarding mood or mistake from one guy .

And i did not know that he was a WASPs Supporter :p

In my opinion Attoub deserved what he got. Not only did he gauge, an inexcusable foul, he also lied to the citing commission when he was caught. A very bad boy indeed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Jan 19 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't clearly understand your position Prestwick

What's happening here is exactly the opposite of what you're claiming for.
For the same action, one takes 7, the other 70... They must have found some difference somewhere for such a delta[/b]

My position is this: There shouldn't be a 7 week sanction. There shouldn't be any "sliding scale" crap.

I'm not claiming that anything. What I'm talking about is what I want. I don't want a sliding scale as it will be abused like the current system is now. If you had a flat rate punishment of, say, 25 weeks for any kind of violent behavior not only would it eliminate international rugby stars getting soft treatment while the likes of Tincu are banned forever it would also send out the strongest message possible that we want to play rugby and not brawl.

Actually, I do not understand any of your positions.

First of all you complain about uneven and unfair treatment for players like Tincu and Attoub against players like Burger and other top superstars. Okay, thats fair enough, easily solvable by only having one punishment of a 25 week ban and a twenty lashes of the whip.

But then you all start saying things like "...well actually I think raking someone's face isn't really as bad as pulling out an eyeball and squashing it in front of the victim's face so I guess raking should have a softer sentence." And then gradually you all start defending players of your own teams who did dasterly things. "Oh, Hartley is such a misunderstood little angel, he was being pushed around by the bad naughty bullies on the other team so he had to do something!"

Me on the other hand? No mercy. If Saracens Kevin Yates bit an ear off then he deserves to be put in a court of law and done for GBH and if another player in the future does something equally as brutal and stupid I'm the first in line to say "you deserve everything you get." In fact, I'd pay for the entire diciplinary panel.

@Bernad: Yeah, I'll have to go with Bullitt and say that Blackett is your classic one-eyed Wasps and England fan. For example, if Jeff Blackett and Jonathan Kaplan got together in a room on their own for longer than 30 minutes, they could probably end up banning every rugby player who is neither English or South African.

You made some good points though :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jan 20 2010, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A hand has nails so let's take out 3 weeks and go for two elephant cocks (which don't have nails) so we exactly reach 70 weeks.[/b]
Can we leave elephant cocks out of it? They've probably got too much girth for an eye socket.

Consistency is what matters. The blazers are groping (gouging) their way forward.

Can anyone explain the advantage in gouging? Why, just why?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 19 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is also ******** is your argument that deliberately setting out to cause harm to another player by raking their face twice isn't as bad as gouging.[/b]

It isn't. There are degrees of pain and malice involved. Think about why gouging is so heinous in rugby while something like punching is widespread. Because it is worse. So raking, which is not as painful as gouging, is clearly not as bad either.

Sorry GG but any contact with eye with intent raking or gouging or what not is not acceptable.

If the ERC are setting the standard by banning him for 70 weeks then thats all well and good. I will get annoyed if someone else does it and then gets a lesser ban. Consistency is needed.

But if the ERC are setting the standard then that is good, and it will stop people moaning that nothing is being done.

Last Saturday, whilst I jackled for the ball and turned the ball over I faced fingers in me eye. With the sole attempt to hurt me for doing so. What annoyed me was that it was seen by the opposition management on the sidelines and apparently the ref had a view of it but failed to see it. For me gouging is on the rise and the sooner its punished the better.

I have this really weird and experimental idea.

You don't want a large ban, don't make contact with the oppositions eyes with a possible intent to harm. Weird I know, but let's just try it out.

And if I hear one more french person say "It's not fair! our players eye gouging should result in a smaller ban!" then I suggest you make your players stop gouging, as anyone who gouges should be penalised, and even if there are some inconsistancies, it's easy to not take the risk.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 20 2010, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

You don't want a large ban, don't make contact with the oppositions eyes with a possible intent to harm. Weird I know, but let's just try it out.

And if I hear one more french person say "It's not fair! our players eye gouging should result in a smaller ban!" then I suggest you make your players stop gouging
, as anyone who gouges should be penalised, and even if there are some inconsistancies, it's easy to not take the risk.[/b]

Ok for the last time, we are not saying that, we are saying that if our players get 70 weeks for gouging, the only evidence being a photo, why do others get only 8 weeks? The result should then be our players getting a shorter ban or yours having a longer ban.
It's called justice ffs!!!

So sick of this f***ing anglo saxon bossiness from some members.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 20 2010, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

You don't want a large ban, don't make contact with the oppositions eyes with a possible intent to harm. Weird I know, but let's just try it out.[/b]

Thats a crazy idea, Nick. Absolute bananas crazy.

So bananas you make Joe "Bananas" Bonano look sane.

(only joking)

:lol:

Latest posts