• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aussies 'stealing' NZ players

No, my point still stands - his opinion is baseless and ignorant (at best regarding NZ "poaching"). Regardless of who's kicking up a fuss or who started it, the fact that he (O'Neill) believes it enough to say it, is my issue.

The 'who shot first' herring doesn't excuse the ignorance.

Also to the point of Kerr-Barlow; he moved here with a Kiwi father - BEFORE the ARU even started developing him. Sorry bros, but this doesn't count.
:p:lol:
Laughable that (based on the ignorant comments in the article) Aussies think that way. Reaching. At. Straws.

I really am sorry - but Aussies are wrong on this one. I really am. Really, really, really sorry about that..... :lol:
Please explain to them that there is a difference between Moari's and Pacifics People
Then there is the culture. Samoans care a lot about the future of their children who in turn will look after his family in turn.
NZ identified that they identify role models rather than a team.

So its easy to get those Pacific Islanders to NZ. Make sure you have a star player in the team playing for the All Blacks. Michael Jones responsible for 1000 and 1000's of Samoan kids want to go and play for NZ.
Of course the Kiwi youngsters the Colts I believe each receive a pay. Yes kids getting paid. Joe was a attempt to get some Fijians over. Lomu Tongans. Jones the Samoans and so it goes on and on and on. Those Samoan kids may be born in NZ cause their parents could not find employment in Samoa but they still go back to Samoa and grow up in Samoa till they are old enough to go to school. After all the Samoan heritage says the children always belong to the village. Clever way NZ are using. Still is wrong though

Please explain to them that there is a difference between Moari's and Pacifics People
Then there is the culture. Samoans care a lot about the future of their children who in turn will look after his family in turn.

So its easy to get those Pacific Islanders to NZ. Make sure you have a star player in the team playing for the All Blacks. Michael Jones responsible for 1000 and 1000's of Samoan kids want to go and play for NZ.
Of course the Kiwi youngsters the Colts I believe each receive a pay. Yes kids getting paid. Joe was a attempt to get some Fijians over. Lomu Tongans. Jones the Samoans and so it goes on and on and on. Those Samoan kids may be born in NZ cause their parents could not find employment in Samoa but they still go back to Samoa and grow up in Samoa till they are old enough to go to school. After all the Samoan heritage says the children always belong to the village. Clever way NZ are using. Still is wrong though

Um most Samoan kids born in New Zealand spend most of their lives in New Zealand. I think you are being deeply insulting to Samoans. You are implying that they are "stupid" and are being manipulated into play for New Zealand. They play for us because they want to. I think people from some countries are shocked that a group of people like Pacific Islanders can actually be integrated into a country's culture. Not to brag but it is far more than your government has achieved (not to compare the challenges facing either country). Compare the UK though - our immigrants integrate far better.

Last edited:

As other kiwi's have pointed out - you're clearly either a troll or extremely ignorant. Clearly you have no idea about New Zealand or the Pacific Islands. As for 'Colts receiving pay' - just speculation and uneducated guess work.

oh god someone got this thread going again :eek:

Well it's serious if in fact the allegations are true. I mean how would you, as a player, like to be stolen from your home country, flown to a different one, and forced to play rugby for a team from that foreign country, against your will?

When are your forced to play for them...?

And if you are, how is any different to being forced to play for the country you grow up in? Why should the first player get any more choice than the second?

And if you are, how is any different to being forced to play for the country you grow up in? Why should the first player get any more choice than the second?

I think Umaga's Witness was being facetious.

This is utter BS

Pacific Islanders don't flock to NZ in the hopes that they or their children will be All Blacks. There have been hundreds of thousands of Pacific Islander's who have come to New Zealand as economic migrants over the last 100 years, massively so since WWII. In 1945, there were only 2,200 PIs in New Zealand, there are now over 270,000, and they make up nearly 7% of of New Zealand's population. Greater Auckland has about 2/3 of all ethnic Pacific Island peoples currently living in New Zealand (over 180,000) making it the largest Polynesian city in the world!

In all those 100+ years of immigration and All Black rugby, there have been over 1100 All Blacks and only 78 were not born in New Zealand and of these, only 30 were born in the Pacific Islands.... 30 out of 1100... less than 3%

Out of all of these Pacific Island players, only four came to New Zealand as adults i.e. didn't come here with their parents and go to school in NZ, and ended up playing for the all Blacks. They are:

Alama Ieremia (came to go to University)
John Schuster
Joeli Vidiri
Saimone Taumoepeau

If you are talking about Joe Rokocoko, well he was not paid to come to New Zealand, he came here with his parents when he was 12 years old, and didn't even play rugby before high school. He attended James Cook High School, Auckland, and later won a scholarship to Saint Kentigern College, where he was a member of the 2001 National Secondary Schools team.

As for your comments re Michael Jones, whe that is just rubbish too. Michael Jones is an advocate for Samoan rugby.

Last edited:
If you are talking about Joe Rokocoko, well he was not paid to come to New Zealand, he came here with his parents when he was 12 years old, and didn't even play rugby before high school. He attended James Cook High School, Auckland, and later won a scholarship to Saint Kentigern College, where he was a member of the 2001 National Secondary Schools team.

As for your comments re Michael Jones, whe that is just rubbish too. Michael Jones is an advocate for Samoan rugby.

Was he 12? Every online sourse I've seen has said five years old. Don't know if they've all been influenced by wikipedia however.

Exactly. This was kinda my point. I was defining what it would mean to "steal a player from another country" in a way that shows how absurd it is, because like you are trying to say (I think) noone is really forced to do anything.

Latest posts