• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia V England

Lets face it, if it's an attractive game to watch, then the Aussies/Ozzies/Ousiies/Wussies/Ozzees will win. The only hope England have is playing to their strengths. Wilkinson's game is important, and if he keeps the game slow, makes some great touchfinders and play territory then we have a chance to concentrate on the wallaby set piece. If the scrum is strong (unfortunately vickery is in) and we can get in on their lineout (would Borthwick be a better choice than Shaw for pressuring their lineout?) then maybe we can keep the chances their backs have to a minimum. We don't have a player who to come close to Smith, so i'm not expecting quick ball too often, but we need all the forwards to clear rucks quickly and stop Smith getting in. As for stopping their backs: don't let them have the ball, keep it up Simon Shaws jumper and Giteau and co won't be able to do any fancy running. The Aussie that will trouble us most may be Latham. If our chances rely on a solid kicking game and forward platform, than an opposition fullback returning kicks with interest could be a disaster.

that's my plan. Is it Brian Ashtons, and more importantly can this Englands squad perform well enough to execute any game plan against quality opposition.

Evidence that England have given up already:

england270a.jpg

Expect to see Chelsea turn up to face Australia on Saturday on a work exchange deal with the RFU. England meanwhile will take on Valencia as planned.

england270a.jpg

Expect to see Chelsea turn up to face Australia on Saturday on a work exchange deal with the RFU. England meanwhile will take on Valencia as planned. [/b]

i could believe it, but i doubt Chelsea have enough English players.

This is going to be rough for Enland but they have their super hobbit.
(in French Bilbo's name is Bilbo Saquet (Sackey))

Finlly, I understand the hobbit joke. That's been doing my head in for ages!

england270a.jpg

Expect to see Chelsea turn up to face Australia on Saturday on a work exchange deal with the RFU. England meanwhile will take on Valencia as planned. [/b]

Note the correct hand gesture for when kicking a roundball. Ducky.

england270a.jpg

Nah, Chelsea actually BEAT Valencia 2-1. Can`t see that with the current England squad....

Lets face it, if it's an attractive game to watch, then the Aussies/Ozzies/Ousiies/Wussies/Ozzees will win. The only hope England have is playing to their strengths. Wilkinson's game is important, and if he keeps the game slow, makes some great touchfinders and play territory then we have a chance to concentrate on the wallaby set piece. If the scrum is strong (unfortunately vickery is in) and we can get in on their lineout (would Borthwick be a better choice than Shaw for pressuring their lineout?) then maybe we can keep the chances their backs have to a minimum. We don't have a player who to come close to Smith, so i'm not expecting quick ball too often, but we need all the forwards to clear rucks quickly and stop Smith getting in. As for stopping their backs: don't let them have the ball, keep it up Simon Shaws jumper and Giteau and co won't be able to do any fancy running. The Aussie that will trouble us most may be Latham. If our chances rely on a solid kicking game and forward platform, than an opposition fullback returning kicks with interest could be a disaster.

that's my plan. Is it Brian Ashtons, and more importantly can this Englands squad perform well enough to execute any game plan against quality opposition.

[/b]

Excellent hypothesis. You get an A+ for your effort.

Seriously though, England need to play that dreaded ugly 10-men rugby to win. Attack the Aussie scrums and put pressure on Gregan. ****le them all day and keep it tight. Play a territorial game and let Jonny do his magic.
Put in the big bombs towards "butterfinger" Mitchell and watch Lewsey crack him open. Put the ball behind Tuqiri every chance they have and watch him run sideways...easy picking.

Am I the only Aussie here who is seriously worried about this match? Maybe I'm placing too much importance on Wilkinson and Robinson being back, but combining that with the losses in our own ranks makes for a very uncertain fixture in my mind... if anything I think England may even have the edge in this match. Barnes was great against Wales, but he's still largely an unknown quantity really and if he can't aim up we could be stuffed!

Well a Kiwi seriously thinks Oz could lose this, just like we could lose against France...

Any Aussie who is worried is obviously not a true Aussie, it's our DESTINY to knock the AB's out of the cup in the semis, it is just they way these things work...

RWC95 England beat Aussie to play NZ in the semi final.
NZ went on to play the Springboks. Maybe its more of the same this year?

91 and 03 had their similarities, maybe 95 and 07 do as well :D

The only thing I'm worried about is Wilkinson potting several 40+ metre drop-goals...that could be the difference!

RWC95 England beat Aussie to play NZ in the semi final.
NZ went on to play the Springboks. Maybe its more of the same this year! :D [/b]

Lets hope so that would be great if it is the same result :D

<div class='quotemain'> RWC95 England beat Aussie to play NZ in the semi final.
NZ went on to play the Springboks. Maybe its more of the same this year! :D [/b]

Lets hope so that would be great if it is the same result :D

[/b][/quote]

doubt it buddy... we brought our own cooks this time.... :bleh!:

STFU everyone with the "England might win this ****" rhetoric! I've just figured out that my birthday is tomorrow and thus the game is on my birthday, the Wallabies will win or my b'day is cursed.

Why is Dallaglio on the bench?

Why is Farrell starting?

What did Stevens do to deserve being dropped?

Where is Tom Rees?

When will Ashton pull his head of his arse? [/b]

They had to pick Farrell. Mortlock would have massacred a Barclay-Tait midfield. As for the rest I don't know the Players well enough to comment

The only thing I'm worried about is Wilkinson potting several 40+ metre drop-goals...that could be the difference! [/b]

Wilkinson isn't actually the guy you'd want kicking long range drop-goals. If you notice, most of those he slots over are from 25-30m maximum.

He genuinely doesn't have the accuracy of someone like Steyn from any great distance.

<div class='quotemain'> The only thing I'm worried about is Wilkinson potting several 40+ metre drop-goals...that could be the difference! [/b]

Wilkinson isn't actually the guy you'd want kicking long range drop-goals. If you notice, most of those he slots over are from 25-30m maximum.

He genuinely doesn't have the accuracy of someone like Steyn from any great distance.

[/b][/quote]

Either way drop goals could be important if the aussies hold their discipline. That's the thing the press often forget, for Wilkinson to win a game through goal kicking, the team actually have to make pressure tell and force penalties. The Aussies have had poor discipline so far, but are more than capable of tightening up in this department.

Am I the only Aussie here who is seriously worried about this match? Maybe I'm placing too much importance on Wilkinson and Robinson being back, but combining that with the losses in our own ranks makes for a very uncertain fixture in my mind... if anything I think England may even have the edge in this match. Barnes was great against Wales, but he's still largely an unknown quantity really and if he can't aim up we could be stuffed! [/b]

Relax mate all is well. NZ have the best scrum in the world and ours competed well enough against them for us to get a fair share of good ball. A fully expect Engalnd to win the scrum battle just as they did against SA. However rugby has changed since 2003. Having the superior scrum doesn't gaurentee victory. Look at Wales they destroyed the Fiji scrum and still lost. Vickerman, Sharpe and Elsom are as good a lineout as anyone else in the world. Our backrow should dominate the breakdown. England will get no quick ball and there runners will be sitting ducks. Gregan and Barnes will get the job done. Our centres are the worlds best. Back three are good. Mail is AAC will be in the XV instead of Mitchell. If they want to play force 'em backs for territory then I think Barnes-Giteau -Latham are quite capable of keeping the Poms in their half. Wallabies by +10.