• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia v Ireland

Micko :'(

Other than that a good selection, although I would have preffered Reddan and Murphy. Still happy with the team at the same time. Ruddock to be capped at 19 if he gets on is great going, fair play to him

Despite really wanting to see Tuohy start, I can understand MOD starting for the line out.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play Ireland in the Lansdowne Cup Test at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, on Saturday 26 June, 8.05pm kick off (AEST), is:

15. James O'Connor (Western Force)
14. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
3. Salesi Ma'afu (Brumbies)
2. Saia Faingaa (Queensland Reds)
1. Ben Daley (Queensland Reds)

Run on reserves:
16. Huia Edmonds (Brumbies)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
20. Josh Valentine (Brumbies)
21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...med_to_play_ireland,139945.html/section/21893

Lads reason Micko is there is he will be captain of forwards. Like if we honest who else is there apart from DOC.
As for Reddan I don't think he shouldve got on and well while Murphy wouldve been good in there I think Kearney needs this to redeem himself

Weak excuse, Donncha has captained the Lions. Jennings and Henry are Leinster and Ulster vice captains respectively. It is an inexperienced pack but I don't see how picking a plainly inadequate lock helps our chances. Prove me wrong Micko! (I won't hold my breath though)

it might have to do with adding some grunt but still i think that he should not be there.

No, adding Micko is the opposite to adding grunt. Good hands, and decent in the lineout, but very little grunt.

Well let's put it this way I guarantee that Micko will be calling shots in pack. Yes Henry and Jennings have roles with provinces but they aren't in the squad like so it'd be big ask for especially Henry.

**** it at this stage with all the backrow injuries im waiting for deccie to give me a ring haha :p

I'm impressed by this selection. I can understand why Micko was selected howeve I would have had Touhy there instead as we have nothing to lose at this point. I'm really looking foward to seeing our front row in the scrum and Tom Court will be ready to come on if the scrum is falling to peices. Backrow is solid but nothing of an international class yet anyway but we really had no other option. O'leary is who I would have picked I feel Reddan has given no reasin why he should be picked. Sexton obviuosly is the correct decision here O'gara to come on to close out the game. I'm glad to see Wallace there as him and Sexton add so much more to tactical attack instead of just running into defenders. Trimble deserves his spot on the wing. I would have personally picked Murphy at fullback but Kearney is getting better (forgetting about the AB game where really the whole team was destroyed)

I'm happy with the Ireland team.

Obviously the coach's hands were tied to an extent with the makeup of the backrow. I still think he should have called up Alan Quinlan given the massive casualty list from 6-8 but giving Rhys Ruddock a spot in the 22 is a good move towards the future. Sexton starting at 10 is a good call but it comes two weeks later than it should have. D'arcy played well against NZ but Wallace is in better form and is more of a playmaker. Given his selection along with those of Ronan and Buckley, could Ireland be moving towards a more expansive, continuity game? I've no quibbles with O'Driscoll starting in the 2nd row- he's a very good lineout option, there's no jumper picked in the backrow and Cronin is a below average thrower. Had O'Driscoll not been picked, I think Ed O'Donoghue would have parachuted into the team since he's the next best lineout option.

I'm very happy for Damien Varley but think John Fogarty is a little unlucky. Picking Varley on the bench is, like the selection of Ruddock, a nod to the future (despite the Munster player being 27 or so). Could he benefit from Jerry Flannery's injury is the same way the Flannery profited from Frankie Sheahan's injury woes a few years ago?

I think Varley could move ahead of Flannery this year. He has been a fantastic signing and If he gets to play more than Fla he will become very hard to drop as he is just a very good player, does everything a hooker should. Good thrower, scrummager, ball carrier and has an excellent workrate. Definitely has international potential so a good call to put him on the bench ahead of Fogs.

genia isinjured along with a winger from the england test

D'you know waht?

I fancy Ireland to win this one. Not by a lot, 8 points but Ireland to win.

I think Varley could move ahead of Flannery this year. He has been a fantastic signing and If he gets to play more than Fla he will become very hard to drop as he is just a very good player, does everything a hooker should. Good thrower, scrummager, ball carrier and has an excellent workrate. Definitely has international potential so a good call to put him on the bench ahead of Fogs.

Can take it as Gospel :p Varley is very much in the race for the 2 shirt as he has improved so much and lads having seen him with Munster in training sessions, matches etc I'd say he's Irelands best hooker for throwing in lineout and is excellent in the loose. This must be the first time in years though that all 3 of Irelands front-row can cause havoc in the loose and I am excited. Also Jerry has lost a bit of the swagger he had with his game since the Lions injury and is constantly tied down with injury.
Despite some people been unhappy about it I think Micko is vital for us for his experience and lineout ability.
Wallace is probably 1 of our smartest backs and in great form and well with him and BOD in the centre I'm sure Bowe and Trimble (although I not a big fan he did well vs NZ and has gas) should get a few chance to cross over.

But 1 question I have is what was the point in bringing John Hayes on tour and not playing him when the man is in serious need of a rest. I agree the decision not to play him was correct and well if he didn't fall ill before the NZ game things would be different but Buckley should've been given this tour to be tested regardless and well let Hayes rest up.

Latest posts