• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 16/17 - Round 5

Looks like a bit of a rotation team to me, with Atwood and Batty both on the bench. Probably some psychology at play with giving Stooke his first start.

You might argue an Atwood Stooke combo would be a clever move for this game. Bit fan of Stooke tbh, unlucky that it's an area where Glocs have a lot of depth.

Looks like Gloucester are in sympathy with Bath and have picked a crap centre combination to even things up a bit.
Twelvetrees has played at O/C a few times before - doesn't work. Atkinson has one trick - a poor man's Phil Christopher side-step - and no pace (at 6'5" and 17st he should be a beast of an I/C but doesn't do crash balls).

Thankfully Laidlaw is back in the XV.

No matter, I can't see how we can play any worse than we did last week and it's a sell out so here's hoping...

You might argue an Atwood Stooke combo would be a clever move for this game. Bit fan of Stooke tbh, unlucky that it's an area where Glocs have a lot of depth.

Looks like Gloucester are in sympathy with Bath and have picked a crap centre combination to even things up a bit.
Twelvetrees has played at O/C a few times before - doesn't work. Atkinson has one trick - a poor man's Phil Christopher side-step - and no pace (at 6'5" and 17st he should be a beast of an I/C but doesn't do crash balls).

Thankfully Laidlaw is back in the XV.

No matter, I can't see how we can play any worse than we did last week and it's a sell out so here's hoping...

Ha ha, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it! The battle of the midfields is hardly going to be one for the ages is it!

Like all derbies it's a hard one to call, I'd back us on form except then there was last week (hopefully a one off) and we are short in several key areas. Your pessimism is giving me renewed hope though.

Ha ha, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it! The battle of the midfields is hardly going to be one for the ages is it!

Like all derbies it's a hard one to call, I'd back us on form except then there was last week (hopefully a one off) and we are short in several key areas. Your pessimism is giving me renewed hope though.

If our last game determines our form, you will walk it.
I know you weren't great last week (I watched on TV) but honestly you were a mile ahead of us.

Laidlaw does make a big difference for us though (and not just because Heinz doesn't seem to like early season games) so you just never know.

You going to the game?

If our last game determines our form, you will walk it.
I know you weren't great last week (I watched on TV) but honestly you were a mile ahead of us.

Laidlaw does make a big difference for us though (and not just because Heinz doesn't seem to like early season games) so you just never know.

You going to the game?

No, I'm London based so hardly ever get to see Bath live unfortunately. You?

No, I'm London based so hardly ever get to see Bath live unfortunately. You?

Yeah, I'll be there - Got a season ticket in the Mira Stand.

Only move to Glocs area 5 years ago so still feels a bit odd saying 'we' when talking about Gloucester but it's a great place to watch rugby imho.

[FONT=&quot]Date: Sunday, October 2
Venue: Ricoh Arena
Kick-off: 14:30 local (13:30 GMT)

Wasps:
15 Rob Miller
14 Christian Wade
13 Elliot Daly
12 Jimmy Gopperth
11 Josh Bassett
10 Danny Cipriani
9 Dan Robson
8 Nathan Hughes
7 Guy Thompson
6 Sam Jones
5 Kearnan Myall
4 Matt Symons
3 Jake Cooper-Woolley
2 Ashley Johnson
1 Matt Mullan (c)

Replacements:
16 Tommy Taylor, 17 Simon McIntyre, 18 Marty Moore, 19 James Gaskell, 20 Thomas Young, 21 Joe Simpson, 22 Kyle Eastmond, 23 Frank Halai[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Harlequins:
15 Mike Brown
14 Marland Yarde
13 Alofa Alofa
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Tim Visser
10 Tim Swiel
9 Karl Dickson
8 James Chisholm
7 Luke Wallace
6 Chris Robshaw
5 James Horwill (c)
4 George Merrick
3 Will Collier
2 Joe Gray
1 Mark Lambert

Replacements:
16 Dave Ward, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Sam Twomey, 20 George Naoupu, 21 Charlie Mulchrone, 22 James Lang, 23 Winston Stanley[/FONT]

Its at Warrior, but they are missing a few key players.

We have to go there really pushing to win this game! same lineup as last weekend. Still missing a few players like Fonua to injury

Newcastle Falcons team v Worcester Warriors (Sunday, 3pm, Sixways, live on BT Sport)

15 Simon Hammersley
14 Alex Tait
13 Dominic Waldouck
12 Juan Pablo Socino
11 Sinoti Sinoti
10 Mike Delany
9 Sonatane Takulua
1 Rob Vickers
2 Scott Lawson
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Evan Olmstead
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch (captain)
8 Ally Hogg

Replacements

16 Ben Sowrey
17 Alex Rogers
18 David Wilson
19 Will Witty
20 Daniel Temm
21 Michael Young
22 Joel Hodgson
23 Belisario Agulla

--------------------------
Warriors
15 Jamie Shillcock
14 Perry Humphreys
13 Wynand Olivier
12 Jackson Willison
11 Cooper Vuna
10 Tom Heathcote
9 Jonny Arr
1 Val Rapava Ruskin
2 Niall Annett
3 Nick Schonert
4 Donncha O'Callaghan
5 Darren Barry
6 Alafoti Faosiliva
7 Carl Kirwan
8 Phil Dowson (C)

Replacements
16 Jaba Bregvadze
17 Na'ama Leleimalefaga
18 James Johnston
19 Christian Scotland-Williamson
20 Matt Cox
21 Luke Baldwin
22 Ryan Lamb
23 Josh Adams

Is Niki injured GF?

Shame Catterick or Willis isn't being used at 10 I'm not a big fan of Delany it isn't like he can kick like Goode or something.

Mate, you never know what happening with players. Dean is a closed book. I don't know why they cant just say ...such and such is injured for how ever many weeks.

But if Goneva is injured why not play Kibirige or Marcus Watson...exciting young wingers...not Alex Tait! He's a rock solid full back..not an exciting winger!

Fonua is still recovering from injury and it took weeks to find out he was injured for example!

Willis is confusing fans. He came through great last season...played great in the preseason games and has then been dumped back in the development side. He's a much better prospect than Hodgson so im not sure whats going on! Richards is very frustrating sometimes!

Last edited:
Anyone else watching Saints vs Chiefs? Belter so far with three very good tries being scored. 14-13 Saints ATM, my bet on over 38.5 looking good so far.

Mate, you never know what happening with players. Dean is a closed book. I don't know why they cant just say ...such and such is injured for how ever many weeks.

But if Goneva is injured why not play Kibirige or Marcus Watson...exciting young wingers...not Alex Tait! He's a rock solid full back..not an exciting winger!

Fonua is still recovering from injury and it took weeks to find out he was injured for example!

Willis is confusing fans. He came through great last season...played great in the preseason games and has then been dumped back in the development side. He's a much better prospect than Hodgson so im not sure whats going on! Richards is very frustrating sometimes!

Kilbirige destroyed our A league defence in the second half the other week,

On the plus side, it strengthens the arguement for Jack to get time at 15. Chiefs not quite clicking like they haven't quite for the season.

On the plus side, it strengthens the arguement for Jack to get time at 15. Chiefs not quite clicking like they haven't quite for the season.

Forgot Jack was on the bench, hopefully he will get a run at 15. I doubt it though...

On a more positive note, Slade and Devoto are looking good together.

Probably Devo's best half wearing 13; probably because he's playing 12 though.

That Ex midfield looking the best it has this season, stick with it for a bit (Devo playing IC) and let them grow used to each other.

Fully agree on Nowell to 15

Probably Devo's best half wearing 13; probably because he's playing 12 though.

That Ex midfield looking the best it has this season, stick with it for a bit (Devo playing IC) and let them grow used to each other.

Fully agree on Nowell to 15

I like the way Slade and Devoto alternate out of 12 and 13. Means Devoto can crash it up at 12 but you've also got Slade to play make there. It's a very good balance IMO. Just a shame about the rest of the team.

Pity the crash ball does Devo such disservice, but it's working,and is the quickest element to introduce to existing patterns.

Still, this 10, 12, 13 is probably the most malleable in the prem... Offers the most options, and whatever happens, there'll be a playmaker available at first receiver.

Last edited:
What a contrasting couple of halves. Turns out my overs bet was 39.5, so I lost out by 0.5 points. I really should avoid betting on Exeter matches, last time I bet on them, they cost me a handicap bet by conceding a penalty in the 79th minute!