• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership - Round 13

Our "second choice" front row - need to do a hell of a lot better than the "first choice" did at Adams Park. At least one, possibly two, of that "second choice" front row are our best players in their position at the moment though.

To answer your question, I don't really know. The obvious answer is leadership, but I didn't see a lot of that last week when we really needed it, ditto against you guys last time. Maybe there's just no other candidate for captain? I do think the squad lacks leaders a little.

That's where you need the likes of Flouw to develop their leadership capacity. Or guys like Attwood whoare growing increasing experienced at international level and can realy bring that back to the club.
But with regards to Hooper, Wasps had a similar issue a few years ago with a certain Richard Birkett. He was perhaps the least talented back rower or lock in the squad but often jumped the queue because of his 'leadership'. Now when you look at our results, its questionable whether this was having any worthwhile effect upon players.

Also, LOVE Karl Dicksons tweet.

EDIT: Just noticed Bath Versus Wasps isn't televised!! Big mistake BT sport.

Crappy stream it is...

Last edited:
I had thought the same of Hooper before this season, but to be fair to him, he's played really well for us.
And he's clearly very well respected by everyone he's played with - he's captained every single club he's played for, I think.

Any news on Ben Morgan ?

Humphreys was quoted in a few places as saying nothing definite until Monday. Though he said he doubts it's fractured.

Realistically, he's missing at least the start of the Six Nations. There's what, three weeks until the Wales match? I can't see a player who had to be stretchered off making it in that time. All the more reason to loathe Sarries.

---

Edit: I'll add I have no idea who'll replace him for England. But Billy still isn't a proven 80-minute player at international level, so if he does return I'd do it on the condition of Ewers getting the 20 shirt.

Knowing Lancaster, he'll start Haskell.

Last edited:
Humphreys was quoted in a few places as saying nothing definite until Monday. Though he said he doubts it's fractured.

Realistically, he's missing at least the start of the Six Nations. There's what, three weeks until the Wales match? I can't see a player who had to be stretchered off making it in that time. All the more reason to loathe Sarries.

---

Edit: I'll add I have no idea who'll replace him for England. But Billy still isn't a proven 80-minute player at international level, so if he does return I'd do it on the condition of Ewers getting the 20 shirt.

Knowing Lancaster, he'll start Haskell.

How do you feel about Haskell starting at 8 ? I'm open to it tbh he's been good this year

Didn't look like a break to me - the way he fell suggest he tore his MCL.

Just watched the Glos/Sarries game. Thought it was all over when Ashton "scored" that try. So deflated. Then the Hook penalty. Fantastic stuff. :D

Things are coming together slightly for Gloucester. A win away at Exe and a home win against Sarries, two games most people wouldn't have given Glos a chance of winning. All despite Gloucester actually not playing too well.

There are a few problems that need sorting out, mainly the attack and mauling. But things are starting to look up.

Sharples looks class at fullback. I suspect he'll get back into the England squad as a 15 sometime down the road, as long as Gloucester keep up with him there.

As for Robson, I thought he had a flash of brilliance in an otherwise fairly poor game. His kicking game was not up to scratch last night, a few iffy passes. Was more impressed with Braley's contribution tbh.

How do you feel about Haskell starting at 8 ? I'm open to it tbh he's been good this year
No no no no no no no, a million times no.

England need a bloody strong ball carrier at 8 because of the lack of ball carrying options elsewhere. Haskell does not provide this. He provides exactly what Wood and Robshaw provide. Haskell only comes in if one of those players come out.

Billy Vunipola, Dave Ewers (prefer him as a 6 though), Gareth Evans and Nick Easter are the realistic options at 8.

Last edited:
Was just about to post that - he looks far more comfortable and is getting himself involved more often.

Watson looking very sharp, Roko may have had a recurrence of his hip injury.

Agree that Sharples is looking good at 15, he can really use his pace from the middle.

Yep def a better game for Burgess, Leicester sucked bath into a tight game which wouldn't have been great for him.

Wasps play open and wouldn't have wanted a dog fight with Bath pack, therefore Burgess has more open ball.

Good to see Bath playing good rugby.

But this has beans pretty typical wasps away performance. Very frequent errors and absolutely no plan B.
Ashely not looking match fit - most rugby played this season of any player ands needed the rest. Shame Jones went off so early.
Hughes losing his handling a bit.
Goode a turnstile in defence.
Bassett sold us short for the Roko try.

Yarde has been electric and neither of Youngs or care have impressed.

Latest posts