• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Awful game

NeilH

Academy Player
As a spectacle it was dire. Someone with a back bone needs to look at the rules to ensure that games entertain on a regular basis. Not one every blue moon.

As a spectacle it was dire. Someone with a back bone needs to look at the rules to ensure that games entertain on a regular basis. Not one every blue moon.
The laws don't concern themselves with entertainment.

Even a close game and a tense fight entertain imho. That's not American Football here, luckily. Personally I enjoyed all the games I've watched, if looking for regular entertainment, maybe a Fiji /
Drua season pass might help.

After 7 posts you come on this forum to start a thread complaining about how awful the game is? Do you go on football forums and complain they should change the laws to make the game more entertaining after a drab 0-0 draw?

After 7 posts you come on this forum to start a thread complaining about how awful the game is? Do you go on football forums and complain they should change the laws to make the game more entertaining after a drab 0-0 draw?
Pretty sure he didn't wait until the 8th post - every post he's made has been to say that he doesn't like rugby.
Just ignore it and move on.

You totally miss my point. I want to be excited by those who dare to run the ball and have a desire to score tries, not kick it back or waste time with resetting scrums or rely on 3 points from some obscure penalty. For the most part I am not entertained.

You totally miss my point. I want to be excited by those who dare to run the ball and have a desire to score tries, not kick it back or waste time with resetting scrums or rely on 3 points from some obscure penalty. For the most part I am not entertained.
Change the channel then?

Something really good about this game is that there's more than one way to win. A team of silky steppers against a team of piano-shifters is actually a dream final.
If you just want to watch fast flowing running game then may I humbly point you in the direction of sevens? It's fast and entertaining, and lasts 14 minutes.

That's what they did in Super Rugby. Sacrifice safety and regulation for the sake of entertainment and look how it negatively affected especially New Zealand in this tournament.

That's what they did in Super Rugby. Sacrifice safety and regulation for the sake of entertainment and look how it negatively affected especially New Zealand in this tournament.
Also look at super rugby crowds. Looks like sacrificing safety is really working.

Also look at super rugby crowds. Looks like sacrificing safety is really working.

Dwindling crowds has been an issue for over a decade in SR. But the watered down competition with the exclusion of South Africa has turned it into a very mediocre product overall now.

Doing something about ball in play time would be a good start. Namely stopping the clock on scrum resets would be a good start but it is a bit of a joke for a game that lasts 80mins that most games don't even hit 30 mins ball in play time.

To be fair, football is a far superior product, though. I mean sure they're different sports and all that but football is so much easier to market from an entertainment point of view because, sadly, at the moment, it is.

To be fair, football is a far superior product, though. I mean sure they're different sports and all that but football is so much easier to market from an entertainment point of view because, sadly, at the moment, it is.
I don't think it is. Its actually pretty dull sport to watch with incredibly low scoring games.

What it has is being the most accessible sport in the world to an extreme degree, therefore with such insanely high participation levels it translates to the level of support it has.

I don't think it is. Its actually pretty dull sport to watch with incredibly low scoring games.

What it has is being the most accessible sport in the world to an extreme degree, therefore with such insanely high participation levels it translates to the level of support it has.
It's all subjective isnt it but I think, generally, people want to see fast moving sports played with high levels of skill. Rugby doesn't really offer anything in that department. It's a slow game, with loads of rules, a bit of skill but still ultimately a game of big men smashing other big men. Football is the polar opposite. Ball is always in play, it's fast moving, high level of skill and you'll generally see a few goals a game as well as not having a million rules to get used to. As I say, though, it's all subjective and rugby will always have my heart but looking at it from someone who isn't that into sport but looking to get into a team game and you show them a game of rugby and a game of football and ask them what looks like more fun they'll go football 9 times out of 10.

Also, why is rugby not as accessible as football? All you need for both games is a ball and that's it.

I'm fairly sure the most watched sport is Gridiron.

Not exactly fast moving or accessible.

I don't know why I said "fairly sure" tbh.

I've heard it said in the last week.

Latest posts