• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Back Surgery & Rugby

L

lnub

Hello fellow ruggers,

Like many Yanks, I played football in High School for 4 years. When I went to college, I needed a sport to fill the void, and of course, rugby was that sport.

I've been playing for 4 years now, and following the previous successful season (Southern California Division Champs, Rookie of the Year :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: tootin' my own horn haha) I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my lower back (L5-S1). I dealt with the pain all summer long, and it kept me from exercising, playing sevens, and doing anything productive haha.

After months of dealing with pain and frustration, and trying everything to fix my back, I was forced to get surgery (microdiscectomy). I'm afraid this will have a drastic negative influence on my playing career and I've already committed to sitting next season out.

I'm writing to ask if any of you have had similar problems, and how it affected you. Do you still play? Do you still feel pain? What was your recovery process like?

I really have the itch to play, but every doctor and family member I've talked to is advising me to quit while I'm young (I'm only 21 and this is my 3rd surgery from injury) and the chances of injury are supposedly higher now.

Any tips or stories are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

L.Nub

Latest posts