• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bad times for the Brits

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 14 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 14 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are all brits

*runs away*[/b]

Thats right *****, keep running. During the 20th century we fought for our freedom, unlike your lot.

Yep I know I bit.
[/b][/quote]

There there :rolleyes: I meant for us french people there's not much difference culturally between you guys. Funny how calling an Irish a Brit is a total insult.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 15 2010, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was born in England, but don't like to consider myself English, for obvious reasons. Maybe Tommy is a bit like me.

If you think about it closely, any debate is pointless. This one no more or no less than any other.[/b]

He sings Amhran na bhFiann at the anthems and played Gaelic football for Monaghan. Argument over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 15 2010, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 14 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 14 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are all brits

*runs away*[/b]

Thats right *****, keep running. During the 20th century we fought for our freedom, unlike your lot.

Yep I know I bit.
[/b][/quote]

There there :rolleyes: I meant for us french people there's not much difference culturally between you guys. Funny how calling an Irish a Brit is a total insult.
[/b][/quote]
Before stepping into a puddle you should check out how deep it is. This one is veeeery deep, so you might not make it back to the surface ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 14 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Before stepping into a puddle you should check out how deep it is. This one is veeeery deep, so you might not make it back to the surface ;)[/b]

Seriously this was more of a "to us you're all very nice slightly overweight alcoholics who brew awesome beer and with whom I like to get drunk every thursday in St Germain-des-Prés" than an attempt at stirring crap...
I guess I missed that one :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 15 2010, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 14 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before stepping into a puddle you should check out how deep it is. This one is veeeery deep, so you might not make it back to the surface ;)[/b]

Seriously this was more of a "to us you're all very nice slightly overweight alcoholics who brew awesome beer and with whom I like to get drunk every thursday in St Germain-des-Prés" than an attempt at stirring crap...
[/b][/quote]

Oh so now we're fat, you just can't stop putting us down can you elgringo. ;)

:hunt: :hunt: :hunt: :hunt: :hunt: :hunt: :hunt: :hunt: ----------------> Elgringo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 15 2010, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 14 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Beware! Do not take this stuff seriously - you'll be sucked in, and France will stop aiming for grand slams and the RWC because sticking it to the Rosbifs every year will become more important.

Irish and Brits have a unique code for discussing this stuff, with fine degrees of mutual hatred and affection across the regions. But everyone speaks english, which is great camouflage to confuse the outside world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 14 2010, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm fighting a losing battle, anyway. Although the fact that England, Scotland and Wales all lost isn't really such a big deal in the grand scheme of things.[/b]

It really is a big deal, because only Wales lost, highlighting the fact that Wales are the biggest losers. :bleh!:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 14 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you are all brits

*runs away*[/b]

Yep I know I bit.
[/b][/quote]

ouch being half french half irish i was hurt with that one.. nobody can question frances commintment and valour in WW1 my great granda was wounded in the somme and verdun decorated for bravery 3 times ...he was french ..he fought and fought hard .end of

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Mar 15 2010, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tiocfaidh ár lá!!![/b]

:lol: I think Ginger is learning Scots gaelic and Mite had a crack at Irish, so it is a two way street - kind of.

Remember when Sinn Fein used Chuckee Or Law to greet one of the royals at a student union reception in norn iron? Cheeky.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 14 2010, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 14 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are all brits

*runs away*[/b]

Yep I know I bit.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Ah but cultural differences there are. We have our own language, history, sports, dance, drink etc. The majority of the nation's population is apparently Catholic, a huge contrast with GB. We've produced 4 nobel laureates in literature as well as many other accomplished artists through the 20th century (Kavanagh, Jack B. Yeats, Boland, Longley etc.) Irish music is some of the most distinctive in Western culture to boot.

Trouble is, what with globalisation and such, most cultures are becoming less distinct from one another. I'm not looking to have a go and by no means am I a hardline republican but I dislike people taring Ireland with the same brush as our near neighbours ( not that there's anything wrong with them mind)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 14 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 14 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Ireland beat England last week. Not the Republic of Ireland. So they're half British. You could go as far as saying it was Northen ireland, because Tommy Bowe scored two of the three tries, and he's from above the border.[/b]
I only found out the other day that Bowe was actually born in the Republic, but then moved to Northern/was schooled there
[/b][/quote]

That still means he's Northern Irish, right?
Because, if it doesn't mean that then...then...what does that make Lomu, Rococoko, Sivivatu, Umaga (etc. etc. etc.)?!?!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Mar 14 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 14 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 14 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Ireland beat England last week. Not the Republic of Ireland. So they're half British. You could go as far as saying it was Northen ireland, because Tommy Bowe scored two of the three tries, and he's from above the border.[/b]
I only found out the other day that Bowe was actually born in the Republic, but then moved to Northern/was schooled there
[/b][/quote]

That still means he's Northern Irish, right?
Because, if it doesn't mean that then...then...what does that make Lomu, Rococoko, Sivivatu, Umaga (etc. etc. etc.)?!?!
[/b][/quote]
Nah he's not, lived in Monaghan, went to school in Armagh.

Bowe was born and grew up in the Republic of Ireland to parents from Munster and Leinster respectively. He went to boarding school in Northern Ireland, that doesn't make him British, especially considering he played for Emyvale and Monaghan (no mean feat) in Football.

Also the fact he sings Amhrán na bhFiann should be the final nail in the coffin.

LOL.
I was just taking a cheap shot at the whole "I'm a new zealander" thing half the all blacks team are trying on when they're born in other countries.
It's a great on-running joke us non-new zealanders love to tell.