• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Balshaw "as good as Cullen"

• Thread starter Incredible Schalk
  • Start date
Andy Nicol is always good for a laugh, not good for much else mind, take note BBC.

Andy Nicol is full of ****, and he whines. I'll never forget him saying "I'm telling you, there was no malice in that at all, I've played with Andrew Henderson and I can vouch for him being one of the nicest people you could ever meet"... screen cuts to replay of Henderson doing one of his many pathetic cheapshots (pathetic in the sense that they couldn't possibly hurt, plus I think he was Brian Moore's 'gay slap' too).

On another note, Balshaw does have some fantastic running skills and like Cullen he does seem to glide across the pitch effortlessly. Unfortunately he's also nuts, he's like the inbred spaniel who can't stop jumping around and wagging his tail.

given that the article was written in 2001 there is some credence to it, just so easy to laugh at it in hindsight and made all the sweeter by the fact that it's Nicol.

Give Balshaw the ball with a little bit of space and he'll tear a defense to pieces. Ask him to tackle, catch a high ball or position himself defensively and the guy is clueless. There was a period when he looked as though he could have become a world class player so I do have a tiny bit of sympathy for Andy Nicol! The problem with Balshaw is that he never kicked on from his form of 2001/02. In many ways Tom Varndell looks like he could suffer the same fate as Balshaw - a tremendous athlete but very average rugby player.

History doesn't repeat itself:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
29/01/2009
RUA Tipoki has compared Munster and Ireland sensation, Keith Earls, to All Black great, Christian Cullen, saying more international exposure for the 21-year-old can take the Limerick man to greater heights. The former New Zealand Maori captain has missed most of Munster’s Heineken Cup campaign through injury, but he’s delighted the progress Earls has made at outside centre this season, a position usually filled by a Tipoki since his arrival in Munster in 2007.
http://breaking.tcm.ie/sport/?c=rugby&...p;jp=idmhauqlid

well Tipoki has credibility as a Munster legend, Nicol is a just a washed up hasbeen come woeful commentators who played for Scotland never at the same level as his predecessors.

I find it especially ironic and apt that this thread was posted on the first anniversary of perhaps Balshaw's finest hour in an England shirt...

England 19-26 Wales

:p :p :p :p :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 8 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I find it especially ironic and apt that this thread was posted on the first anniversary of perhaps Balshaw's finest hour in an England shirt...

England 19-26 Wales

:p :p :p :p :p[/b]

the ironing is delicious.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 7 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Unfortunately he's also nuts, he's like the inbred spaniel who can't stop jumping around and wagging his tail.[/b]

That, my friend, is so the perfect description of him. In fact if I ever get a spaniel for my next dog, I'm gonna call him 'Balshaw'!

Latest posts