• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath eye St Helens star Kyle Eastmond in code switch

Mallender joined after Saints were relegated, the same time that Cohen joined Brive. Myler & Tiny joined about 2-3 years before Mallender while (both played in the famous Welford Road win during the relegation season) while Downey signed before Quinlan retired.
I stand corrected about Myler and Tonga'huia. Whoever spotted them did a brilliant job.

Downey signed for Saints the summer they were relegated. The previous season he was on trial with Munster who offered him a development deal which he refused in favour of a better contract offer from Calvisano. When Northampton came calling, he jumped at the chance. It's worked out brilliantly for both parties. Northampton have a strong defender and powerful runner while Downey has the security of a long contract and playing regularly for a good team.

David Quinlan was a quality player. I was very disappointed when he left Leinster. He was an excellent player, probably a couple of steps up from Downey.

As far as I know Pete Angelsea is remaining as head coach with Diamond taking a hands off approach to things.
Yup, Diamond is the new "Director of Rugby" (I think it's worded slightly differently, as Kingsley Jones was officially the DoR when Diamond rejoined) so he'll be in charge of player recruitment and backstage stuff

From what I've seen people are expecting Eastmond to play FB
While this could work in the long run it'd take a season or two for him to get to grips with it, and with Paul Williams likely off at the end of the season, and Nick MacLeod a better FH than FB (as demonstrated last night when the game completely changed when he moved to 10) I hope they don't chuck all the spare cash at Eastmond without signing an actual Union FB

eastmond should play centre, not back 3. i don't know where bullitt's getting this 'too slow' stuff from, he may not be built for sprinting but he's quick over 20m which is all you need, unless you're scoring tries like ashton or caucau.

He's 4ft nothing and has the upper-body strength of a schoolgirl. He'll get obliterated in the midfield if he tries to run, while his passing is dogshite if he tries to be the distributer. I don't need to mention his "tackling" (if you can call it that).

He's a great league player but will never be a successful cross coder.

To be fair he's only 20ish so has plenty of time to learn but you could say: Why bother trying? He could be an average Union player in a few years, or a good League player now/potentially great league player in the future

To be fair he's only 20ish so has plenty of time to learn but you could say: Why bother trying? He could be an average Union player in a few years, or a good League player now/potentially great league player in the future

that's what I'd say to him. In terms of his own career, he should be trying to get a contract in the NRL if he wants to move from St Helens, not in Union.

However he is very talented. He's got vision, a good kicking game, creativity, added to all of his physical attributes. And while I'm a League fan mainly through an appreciation of the game itself (since I don't support a club and the international scene is not worth it), as a Union fan who's very excited about anyone English with talent, it'd be really exciting to see him playing Union, especially if he was a success and could play for England.

So for me, it'd be great for him and any other mungo who's talented to make the switch, but for him it'd be better not to.

Well confirmed Eastmond to Bath? What are your thoughts!

Will be interesting to see where they play him,
With Bananaman and Hape away with England there's a chance he could feature in the next few weeks at centre or wing

Not sure how well he'll work out, but I'm excited to see him playing

Think he is at Saints until the end of the season, so won't be making any immediate moves to Bath... Unless Dan drives his out with his pitchfork and burning stake...

Think he is at Saints until the end of the season, so won't be making any immediate moves to Bath... Unless Dan drives his out with his pitchfork and burning stake...

Certainly pay to watch that.

Ah the Sun, fountain of all British knowledge for news lol.

:lol:

Awful move for Eastomond, Bath, Meehan, Geech and St. Helens.

Eastmond had the potential to be a massive player for St Helens and England in League, could have been as revered as Sinfeild, Lond, Burrows etc are now. Instead he has risked joining the long and growing list of failed league converts. Farrell, Vainakolo, Harris, both Pauls etc.

As to where he'd play I can only see him making a moderatley effective scrum half but he'll need to lessen the frequency that he kicks.

Latest posts