Gavin Henson poised for Saracens Wembley debut

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
<table width="226" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
_50254862_106339666-1.jpg
Gavin Henson has not played competitive rugby for over a year

</td></tr> </tbody></table>Gavin Henson now looks set to make his Saracens debut on Boxing Day against Wasps at Wembley.

Wales centre Henson, 28, signed by Sarries in October, has yet to feature because of his involvement with the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.

But chief executive Ed Griffiths told BBC Three Counties Radio that the Wasps game looks like the perfect stage.

"If you're looking at it, the Wembley match looks like a grand stage for what could be a grand occasion," he said.

"Obviously, selection of the team is very much up to the coaches, but it's funny how things seem to work out.

"Maybe Gavin Henson's Saracens debut could take place on the grandest stage in English sport at Wembley Stadium."

<table width="231" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="5">
o.gif
</td> <td class="sibStdQuote"> He's making outstanding progress and it won't be long before we see him on the field in a Saracens shirt

Chief executive Ed Griffiths

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>Saracens have a busy period of fixtures approaching, including Heineken Cup clashes, and injury concerns to the likes of Kameli Ratuvou, Alex Goode and Derick Hougaard.

And Griffiths believes that the 31-times capped former Ospreys back would be fit enough to feature, if called upon.

"Gavin hadn't played competitive rugby for over a year, so he was always going to take some training to get back to fitness," he said.

"But he's looking exceptional in training. The coaches are delighted with his progress over the last few weeks.

"And it won't be long before we see him on the field in a Saracens shirt."

Griffiths added that Brendan Venter's recent decision to quit his job as director of rugby had nothing to do with his disciplinary issues.

South African Venter received two separate match-day bans in 2010 from the Rugby Football Union.

And in November he was fined £21,850, £13,100 of which is suspended until June 2012, by European Rugby Cup for suggesting referees were underprepared for this season's Heineken Cup competition after a defeat by Leinster.

"I think most people would see the punishments handed out to him recently, specifically by European Rugby after making what amounted to a few tactical observations after the Leinster game, were certainly heavy handed," said Griffiths.

"That's really a side issue, I don't think that's going to affect him at all.

"This decision [to quit] has absolutely nothing to do with the ERC or RFU."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/saracens/9249718.stm

And CyRil creams everywhere

Bit later than I'd have hoped, but it gives him a few games to try and proove he desrves a spot in the 6 nations. I'd expect him to feature at inside centre for this game if he's involved atall, as I don't think chucking him straight in at outside half is a good idea. Kinda looking forward to seeing what his kicking is like (out of hand mainly), as he hasn't been able to kick freely since '05.

Brilliant News - Love Gavin as a player because i think he has that edge above others when he is on the pitch and can really give wales something in 2011. Hopefully he can rediscover his form for Saracens and get that Welsh Jersey on against England.

Can't wait to see him step back on the field... looks like i'm actually gonna be watching the english prem now to see how "our" Gav gets on. I hope for his sake he finds form, he needs a brake and certainly wales could do with some spark in midfield :D :D Good luck Gav, cause a sh!tload of people will be routing against you.

What a man(?) keeping his commitments on strictly rather than playing H cup rugby
In fairness, he's keeping his commitments on what he has been contracted to do. Myself and Sonny Bill admire that.

He wasn't signed for Saracens when they announced their HC squad, so he couldn't play anyway,
Also, breaking a contract, even if it is just for dancing, is a big no no

He is also getting a lot of respect for doing Strictly for giving it his all and not backing out of his contract

Powell to do a "Gav on Tait" on Gav with his first touch! A paradox may be formed.

Latest posts