• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath or "The masochists guide to rugby"

If he's happy to accept a large salary in exchange for basically winning nothing as long as he stays at the club then sure. Bath don't benefit though, our problems run much deeper than 10 and, with Russell sucking up a huge chunk of the available funds, that leaves less to fix our actual problems. We have a history of throwing tons of money at some big names rather than putting in the work to get players in positions we really need, and to address the coaching failures.
Yep, it seems like a nuts signing. Great on his day, but those aren't every week and they may also lose him to international commitments.

Also very clear that he'd have stayed in France but for the salary drop. Nothing wrong in getting the best deal for yourself of course but his motivation is evident.

His falling out with Townsend may just be a personality clash between the 2 men but it's also a bit of a red flag, particularly for a squad that's rebuilding and has fragile confidence. And you suspect there may be some salary resentment as he'll be on serious multiples of what others are on. Mercurial for sure, but really that marquee?

Quite honestly - I'm more worried about Underhill's body - specifically his brain

season 9 news GIF

Feel for him because he was dropped in it a bit, with Blackadder leaving early, and then massively out of his depth for numerous seasons after

Wonder if this is the end of his coaching career or if he'll take a step back and being a lineout/forwards coach somewhere or something

Wonder if this is the end of his coaching career or if he'll take a step back and being a lineout/forwards coach somewhere or something
Going into coaching would be a step forwards, rather than back - he isnt a coach, and hasn't been doing any coaching at Bath, beyond lending a hand to the actual coaches.

How do you feel about that? He seemed to survive the initial culls but no idea if he was part of the problem or the solution.
Similar to Johnson for England - a good man, and potentially a good coach (or manager in SH's case) who should never have been offered the job he was, or at least, not at the time he was offered it - but probably took it out of a misplaced feeling of loyalty (and ego). Once there, he really needed to be better supported.
If he wants to, I think he's knowledgable enough, and has the right characteristics to be a success in rugby management, but he'd need to put in the leg work (which typically means coaching) first. Could easily be one of those to thrive in a different environment.

From a club perspective, I felt that he (and Hatley, and probably Charteris) needed to go once JvG was appointed, leaving room for JvG to be the clear top man and with his own appointments in place.

I'm still concerned that the source of the rot is still in place, in Tarquin McDonald - though if JvG does end up a success story for Bath (which I'm far from confident about), then I'd have to reconsider (though it'd make him 1 from 3, and still an issue)

It made the NY Post. The article states residents have not yet fingered the culprit. I'm all for a bit of restorative justice but that sounds a tad harsh.

Last edited:
Not confirmed yet, but this is how Bath stand currently.
Negotiations ongoing with FLW and GJvV. No news yet on academy graduations, and it's still possible there's another signing who's not wanting to be announced ahead of the RWC (if so, probably Welsh).

I'm sure we've lost a couple we'd like to keep, and kept a couple we'd like to have off the books, as a result of contract lengths - looking rather light at 2 and 9; not sure if that's showing faith in Stewart and TCS or a gamble.
Bath 23-24 (provisional).jpg

Last edited:
What are the asterisks? Likely to be at the RWC?
Yep - I just forgot to put one on Lawrence and DuToit. I;m unsure on Bayliss; I guess his versatility might make him a bit more valuable for a RWC squad, but he seems to be 3rd-ish choice for Scotland
I'm also working on the academy intake - will edit when done.

Not confirmed yet, but this is how Bath stand currently.
Negotiations ongoing with FLW and GJvV. No news yet on academy graduations, and it's still possible there's another signing who's not wanting to be announced ahead of the RWC (if so, probably Welsh).

I'm sure we've lost a couple we'd like to keep, and kept a couple we'd like to have off the books, as a result of contract lengths - looking rather light at 2 and 9; not sure if that's showing faith in Stewart and TCS or a gamble. View attachment 16672
Bit uneven in some units, but that midfield could be a great watch.

Bit uneven in some units, but that midfield could be a great watch.
If I had to guess, I'd say that Stewart, Richards, Staddon, Merigan; TCS, Worboys and Goss will probably graduate from the academy - I also wouldn't be surprised if it's not an announced thing.

Latest posts