• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BBC SPORT -Edwards backs Six Nations revamp

because playing a test match takes the same physical toll on the players as a heavyweight boxing match. For the Six Nations that's 5 test matches in 7 weeks, it would be insane to ask them to add to that. You'd swear that there's a deliberate attempt by teams not to entertain and score tries by the tone of some of your comments, which I find baffling to say the least. We had 3 quality games this weekend outside of the bonus points system, I wasn't bored and certainly would have had a problem paying â'¬75 for a ticket. What is this obsession with entertainment, it's sport, it's about winning not entertaining.

because playing a test match takes the same physical toll on the players as a heavyweight boxing match. For the Six Nations that's 5 test matches in 7 weeks, it would be insane to ask them to add to that. You'd swear that there's a deliberate attempt by teams not to entertain and score tries by the tone of some of your comments, which I find baffling to say the least. We had 3 quality games this weekend outside of the bonus points system, I wasn't bored and certainly would have had a problem paying â'¬75 for a ticket. What is this obsession with entertainment, it's sport, it's about winning not entertaining.
[/b]

In an age of professional sport it's about selling a product. Croke Park was 8,000 short of a full house. At 75 Euro a ticket that's 600,000 Euro of lost revenue.

Croke Park was not 8000 short of a sellout because the Hill and Nally were seated reducing the capacity to 75000.

Croke Park was not 8000 short of a sellout because the Hill and Nally were seated reducing the capacity to 75000. [/b]

even if we decide that more open rugby is more entertaining and should be encouraged i don't think bonus points will make a blind bit of difference. Teams will want to win. Bonus points would be a nice extra. As i said before it's not like bonus points turned the premiership into a free-scoring spectacle of open rugby.

Croke Park was not 8000 short of a sellout because the Hill and Nally were seated reducing the capacity to 75000.
[/b]

Ah ... thank you for explaining this. It was a cause of comment amongst us when the attendance was announced. Was there a reason why those areas were reduced in capacity?

I'm not sure to be honest, there was no reason for the seating to be in place because when Ireland played Brazil in the football 3 weeks ago there was no need for the ground to be all seater as it wasn't an official qualifier.

Latest posts