• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Being as Vinakolo was a resounding Failure...

How many more times? Not many have made a successfull switch. Tuquiri is the obvious one. Even Iestyn Harris, who was a ledgend in League struggled, although would have made a good union player had he sticked at it imo (started to look good in the world cup, and showed his potential in his opening Cardiff game, wow, remember that to this day).

Seriously though. What's the point bothering with a 31 year old who's never played union before?

Jason Robinson successfully made the switch,
But i agree, it's stupid to bring a guy over, who is at the end stages of his career, who has apparently never played union before, i don't understand why you'd make the switch at that stage :S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 27 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jason Robinson successfully made the switch,
But i agree, it's stupid to bring a guy over, who is at the end stages of his career, who has apparently never played union before, i don't understand why you'd make the switch at that stage :S[/b]

Money? I don't understand why the clubs will want buy a guy like that. Think about it really.

Saints have 2 players. Ashton and Myler both made the switch from League, Ashton is the top try scorer in the Premiership right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintDean @ Dec 28 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Saints have 2 players. Ashton and Myler both made the switch from League, Ashton is the top try scorer in the Premiership right now.[/b]

True, but Myler and Ashton switched codes as youngsters and still have the chance to develop themselves into rugby players instead of having only league skillsets in rugby.

The likes of Vinakolo, Paul, Farrell & Tadulala are at the back end of their careers and will never become proper rugby footballers. Their instinctive nature to do league things (such as growing mullets and petting whippets) will be too strong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 28 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintDean @ Dec 28 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints have 2 players. Ashton and Myler both made the switch from League, Ashton is the top try scorer in the Premiership right now.[/b]

True, but Myler and Ashton switched codes as youngsters and still have the chance to develop themselves into rugby players instead of having only league skillsets in rugby.

The likes of Vinakolo, Paul, Farrell & Tadulala are at the back end of their careers and will never become proper rugby footballers. Their instinctive nature to do league things (such as growing mullets and petting whippets) will be too strong.
[/b][/quote]

I guess your right there.

But if we are honest like the likes of Vanikolo and Henry Paul made great impressions in 1st season or so like they all see to enjoy 'honeymoon' period except Andy Farrell who was jinxed but still think at 31 it too old.

But may I say (not boasting) Henry Paul was very good until day in Thomond Park against us and he never recovered from the howler he had that day.

Vanikolo got capped but was his injury the ending of him and is it just me or are the 2 codes drifting further apart meaning basically that all these moves are complete gambles

Vainikolo had his 5 try debut vs Leeds, and that was pretty much him figured out. I pity any poor sod who wants to play for Glos right now.

League converts who are going to make Union stars have to 1) have played a lot of Union as a youth, or 2) make the transition before they're 24/5.

League converts who move over later on in their careers aren't the 'failures' many people say they are. Most of them are good enough to start for Premiership/ Super 14 teams, which is a very high level of union as it is. However, while they may have been superstars and internationals in League, most aren't good enough at union to make the step up to international level.

Mat Rogers is the only player I can think of to play Union well at international level who switched after the age of 25... and he was 26.

He's already signed for us, already played 2 A games and both was massively disappointing. I seriously don't know why Redpath went for him :rolleyes: I do like Vainikolo and he's starting to find his best form like against Birattaz.

Latest posts