• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ben Darwin discussion

I

InsaneAsylum

Darwin tells of injury terror

Wallabies prop Ben Darwin has revealed how he lost the feeling from his neck down after being buried under a scrum collapse during Australia's 22-10 Rugby World Cup win over New Zealand in Sydney on Saturday night.

Darwin was stretchered off the field and has been ruled out of next weekend's Rugby World Cup final after suffering a prolapsed disc in his neck during the scrum collapse.

And today he paid tribute to his All Blacks opponent Kees Meeuws for saving him from possible further injury.

"I heard a crack and immediately called out 'neck, neck, neck' and to his credit Kees Meeuws stopped pushing which was fortunate because I lost feeling in my body and he could have really crashed me into the ground," he said in a statement issued by the Wallabies camp.

"When I was on the ground I had no feeling from my neck down for about two minutes. It was terrifying, but the medical staff did a great job of getting me into the right position and then I felt pins and needles in my arms and
legs, which was a great relief.

"I asked if they could make sure my wife knew I was OK as that was hugely important to me.

"In the ambulance on the way to hospital the staff were nice enough to put the game on the radio so I could hear what was going on. Great to see the boys finish the match off.

"I'll be in hospital for a couple of days at least while they monitor my condition but the doctors are happy with my progress so far. I desperately want to be able to sit with the team on the bench and cheer the boys on in
the final."

Darwin has been cleared of any serious neck injury but officials are refusing to speculate on what sort of impact the injury will have on his long-term playing future.

Australian team doctor Martin Rafferty said the prolapsed disc was touching the spinal cord.

"If it doesn't settle down of its own accord it will require surgery," Dr Rafferty said.

"At this stage our major concern is just making sure the acute injury is fine. After further investigation we will address the other issues but at this stage we need to let the dust settle."

Australian coach Eddie Jones said the Wallabies would miss Darwin in the final but added that the team was only concerned about his health.

"Obviously he's an important member of the side, but we're lucky we've got some very good replacements in Al Baxter and Matt Dunning," he said.

"Certainly it's a loss for the team but, as I said, we're more concerned about his health than anything at this stage."
[/b]

Darwin counts his blessings

By Greg Growden
Sydney
November 17, 2003

Printer friendly version  Print this article
Email to a friend  Email to a friend

Ben Darwin is carried off Telstra Stadium on Saturday night.
Picture: Getty Images

The World Cup is over for Australian prop Ben Darwin and he may never play again after he lost feeling in his arms and legs for two minutes during Saturday's semi-final win over New Zealand as a result of a neck injury.

The incident, in which Darwin found himself jammed with his chin pressed to his neck in a 48th-minute scrum, caused a prolapsed disc in his neck that sent his spinal cord into "temporary shock".

"I heard a crack and immediately called out 'neck, neck, neck' and to his credit Kees Meeuws stopped pushing which was fortunate because I lost feeling in my body and he could have really crashed me into the ground," Darwin said yesterday.

"When I was on the ground I had no feeling from my neck down for about two minutes. It was terrifying but the medical staff did a great job."

The match, won 22-10 by the underdog Wallabies, was halted for a number of minutes as medical staff carefully put Darwin into a neck brace before he was taken on a stretcher from the ground.
    advertisement

advertisement

Wallabies team doctor Martin Raftery said yesterday there was no permanent damage though Darwin would remain in hospital for several days and would need a neck brace for about six weeks. Raftery said the forward may require surgery to fuse the vertebrae and his playing future was in doubt.

"With any type of neck injury there's a chance he might not (play again) but at this stage we can't say," Raftery said. "We've only done investigations when his neck's immobilised and we haven't done any movement investigations. If it (the injury) doesn't settle down of its own accord it will require surgery."

Darwin's Australian teammates visited him in hospital yesterday, and were amused to hear that the forward had asked for the ambulance radio to be turned up on the way to hospital so he could listen to the game.

"He was in good spirits but obviously his health's his main concern at the moment," fellow prop and close mate Bill Young said.

"He's dislocated his neck . . . it's a strange one; the doctor told him he should buy a lottery ticket so obviously he's pretty lucky."

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones said it was unlikely Australia would call for a replacement prop to be added to the World Cup final squad with Al Baxter likely to be in the starting line-up and Matt Dunning coming on to the bench.

Other injury concerns, hooker Brendan Cannon (shoulder) and lock Nathan Sharpe (knee), have eased while exciting utility back Matt Giteau is set to train on his injured ankle today and is likely to return to the bench at the expense of Nathan Grey.

Jones was noticeably upset by Darwin's injury yesterday. "It was distressing for everyone watching the game," said Jones before the Wallabies headed back to their Coffs Harbour base.

Jones said yesterday the Wallabies were playing nowhere near their best.

"All I can say is that our performance next week will be better. That's what we are aiming for. We haven't seen the best of this side yet. We know firmly we can play better," Jones said yesterday.

"We played some reasonable football, in patches, which was good enough to win the game. We still didn't attack with the precision we wanted. And we want to continue getting better at the lineout and scrum, because the final is going to be more of a set-piece contest.[/b]

World Cup Wallaby Ben Darwin named Assistant Coach
April 08, 2005 - 11:40am
Story by: Other
Ben Darwin talks with Alistair Baxter

New Perth Assistant Coach, Ben Darwin with former Wallaby team-mate Al Baxter during the 2003 Rugby World Cup

Hot on the heels of recruiting Wallabies Nathan Sharpe and Brendan Cannon, coach John Mitchell now has a third Wallaby on board for WA's new Super 14 team, this time on the coaching staff.

Wallaby prop Ben Darwin has been appointed as Assistant Coach - Forwards. Darwin is currently the Head Coach of Sydney club Norths, and will remain there until the end of the Tooheys New Cup before relocating to Perth in October.

The appointment has a certain irony, given that Darwin and Mitchell were both plotting each other's downfalls during the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

It was in the RWC Semi Final in Sydney that the Wallabies put an end to Mitchell's dream of winning a Rugby World Cup with the All Blacks. In the same match, Darwin's Test career was brought to an end when he suffered a neck injury.

Mitchell said Darwin's experience and understanding of set piece play made him a valuable resource.

"Ben's expertise and his understanding of the contemporary game will be invaluable for the new WA Super 14 team," John Mitchell said.

"His areas of expertise really complement those of John Mulvihill and myself, so he will slot very nicely into the coaching team.

"He provides a high level of detail in analysing and improving the set piece.

"His strength also lies with his ability to communicate one-on-one with individual players to improve their scrummaging and lineout technique and execution, which is a crucial skill in today's game.

Darwin said he was lured by the opportunity that the WA team offered.

"This is a superb opportunity to work with John. I spent a couple of days with him in Perth this week and it is obvious why he is regarded as one of the world's great Rugby coaches," Darwin said.

"Living in Perth will be an absolute bonus. It is a rare opportunity to start something new.

"Firstly I want to fulfill my role with Northern Suburbs and I look forward to helping them achieve future success.

The CEO of Darwin's club in Sydney, Northern Suburbs, John Tully, welcomed the appointment.

"We are delighted for Ben and delighted that Norths have been able to play a part in helping to fast track one of the game's bright young coaching talents," Tully said.

"In Ben's short time with us we have seen a major shift in the culture at our club and it has really identified the place as somewhere to go to realise your playing or coaching ambitions."

"Darwin will finish his commitments with Norths at the end of their Tooheys New Cup campaign, but will have input into the appointment of a new head coach, a process that has already begun.

"Ben will maintain strong links with the club. He commenced the rejuventaion of our club this year, where he played for many years and is determined to see that process through," Tully added.

"He is young in coaching terms and will only grow from his involvement with the new Perth franchise."

BEN DARWIN'S PLAYER PROFILE

Position: Tighthead Prop

Height: 186 cm

Weight: 116 kg

D.O.B: 17 October 1976

Club: Northern Suburbs

Super 12 Team: ACT Brumbies

State Caps: 47

Super 12 Caps: 41

Tests: 28 - 2001 L1 (rep), SA1 (rep), NZ1 (rep), SA2 (rep), NZ2 (rep), Sp, E, Fr, W. 2002 NZ1 (rep), SA1 (rep), NZ2 (rep), SA2, Arg (rep), Ire (rep), E (rep), It (rep). 2003 Ire (rep), W (rep), E (rep), SA1 (rep), NZ1 (rep), Arg* (rep), R* (rep), N*, Ire*, S*, NZ*.

Test Points: -

Test Debut: 2001 v Lions

Honours: ACT Brumbies, Australian U21s, Australian Barbarians, Australian Wallabies

Senior Tours: 2001 - UK & Europe. 2002 - Argentina, UK & Europe

* indicates RWC match.

Injury forced Wallaby prop Ben Darwin to announce his retirement from all levels of Rugby in January 2004.  Darwin suffered a neck injury in the 2003 Rugby World Cup Semi Final win over New Zealand at Telstra Stadium on 15 November 2003.

Darwin made his Test debut for the Wallabies in 2001, coming off the bench in the first match of the Lions series.  He went on to play a total of 28 Tests and was a part of Bledisloe Cup triumphs in 2001 and 2002.

Educated at Barker College in Sydney, Darwin won selection in the Australian U21s in 1997 then the Australian Barbarians in 1998.

He broke into the ACT Brumbies in 1998 and went on to play 47 matches for the Brumbies including 41 Super 12 games and was an integral part of their 2001 Championship.

Ben Darwin's run-on Test debut in 2001 coincided with Australia's 400th Test match.

Before that historic Test against Spain in Madrid, Darwin played off the bench against the Lions in the first Test at the Gabba in Brisbane.

A strong, technically admired tighthead prop, Darwin was also capable of playing loosehead when required.[/b]

Ifg you don't write your own article instead of C+P articles from the web, you have no chance.

Would we be even close to considering him had he not been involved that accident?

Very sad and all, but hardly an on-field legend of the game.

ok so i sent off the 3 tokens from the back of the coco-pops packet and they've told me that my masters in literature is in the mail.

Ben was far from electrifying on the field but then again, can you name any prop who is? He's a hero who bowed out of the game well before his time and he's a hero for what he's putting back into australian rugby and out community

na i dont think he should be in the trf HOF, sorry!

as for props there are plenty out there that would deserve a HOF mention anyway. Though i only know of new zealand props as it was all i was exposed to when i was growing up i would say that craig dowd, and maybe olo brown. but i am sure there are some big props around from their day and b4 that deserve a mention

Stan Pilecki should be in the hall of fame for most cigarettes consumed on tour :)

No. Just No.

And have they run out of Invisible Pens? When I was last in Melbourne it was 3 tokens and you got an invisible pen.

wasn't exactly world class prop. he was ok but nothiing special. I think for aussie props the likes of omar hasan and glen panhoe would be considered before darwin. or even better pick phil kearns although not a prop proabbly one of the best front rowers to play for aus

InsaneAsylum,

Kees Meeuws should be the one being suggested for the hall of fame. If that were me and I heard Ben Darwin calling out neck, neck, neck I would have driven right through him.

Ben Darwin was a low standard international prop who would have struggled to make any side other than Australia.

The only reason that he was able to get so many international caps is because there is hardly any competition in Australia.

Maybe we could set up an Australian Hall of Fame and you could just nominate hacks for that and everybody else on The Rugby Forum can actually suggest players that are deserving to be in the hall of fame.

Soon my worse fear will be realised and someone will suggest Chris Whittaker be nominated.

Ben Darwin was not a massive prop on the field. There are plenty of front rowers that deserve being considered prio to him. So as far as I am concerned, this is a No.

While i agree that Ben Darwin should definately not be inducted, he was certainly no hack.

With all the great Wallabies of the past i'm surprised you didn't pick one of the more obvious Aussies to induct.

Like one of these 'hacks'...

John Eales
Michael Lynagh
Mark Ella
Ken Catchpole
Nick Farr-Jones
Tim Horan
David Campese
Toutai Kefu
Phill Kearns
Roger Gould
Willie Ofahengaue
Simon Poidevin
Jason Little
George Gregan
Steve Larkham....

Absolutely....

But the one that diserves it most is:

Chris Whittaker :unsure:

chris whittaker for pm

i bet bigten owns one of those t-shirts that say "i support new zealand and any other country playing australia"

...open your mind, there are more colours in the world other than black

Originally posted by woosaah@Jul 25 2006, 03:40 AM
black isnt a colour o_O
thisismyballowned-1.jpg

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum@Jul 24 2006, 10:51 PM
chris whittaker for pm

i bet bigten owns one of those t-shirts that say "i support new zealand and any other country playing australia"

...open your mind, there are more colours in the world other than black
Sweet - I betcha AUD100 that I don't own one of those t-shirts! Easy money!

"...Open my mind!?" You what!?

I could say the same for you - I know my rugby well enough to know that Ben Darwin rates very, very low in the list of best international props.

There is no way in hell that he should even be considered for the hall of fame.

Maybe you should do a bit more research and maybe even write your own article rather than just copying and pasting.

The list that the_truth gave is fair enough - all of those players are good enough to at least be suggested for the hall of fame with maybe the exceptions of George Gregan and Steve Larkham as they are still currently playing.

We should really wait until a player has retired before they get nominated.

ben darwin? oh this discussion had nothing to do with ben darwin a long time ago

a simple 'no' would have sufficed, however once again you take the opportunity to be a n00b basher and a wallaby basher, you wouldn't know a wallaby if it shat on your foot.

you have great knowledge, limited to new zealand rugby.

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum@Jul 26 2006, 10:43 AM
ben darwin? oh this discussion had nothing to do with ben darwin a long time ago

a simple 'no' would have sufficed, however once again you take the opportunity to be a n00b basher and a wallaby basher, you wouldn't know a wallaby if it shat on your foot.

you have great knowledge, limited to new zealand rugby.
Keith Wood, Hooker, Ireland 1994 - 2003
Syd Millar, Prop, Ireland 1958 - 1970
Fran Cotton, Prop, England 1971 - 1981
Graham Price, Prop, Wales 1975 - 1983
Nick Popplewell, Prop, Ireland 1989 - 1998

And these are just a few of the props that come to mind that should be inducted before we even start talking about any Australian front-rowers.

InsaneAsylum - and you should notice that none of these are actually New Zealanders.

If you knew your rugby you'd know why Ben Darwin could never be considered in the same company as those that I have mentioned.

And if you think that I am unfairly bashing you - well grab yourself some tissues son you have a lot to learn.

Ben Darwin - pfftttt!

Latest posts