Ben Darwin discussion

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by InsaneAsylum, Jul 21, 2006.

1. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Ifg you don't write your own article instead of C+P articles from the web, you have no chance.

4. Would we be even close to considering him had he not been involved that accident?

Very sad and all, but hardly an on-field legend of the game.

5. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

ok so i sent off the 3 tokens from the back of the coco-pops packet and they've told me that my masters in literature is in the mail.

Ben was far from electrifying on the field but then again, can you name any prop who is? He's a hero who bowed out of the game well before his time and he's a hero for what he's putting back into australian rugby and out community

6. woosaah

woosaah Guest

na i dont think he should be in the trf HOF, sorry!

as for props there are plenty out there that would deserve a HOF mention anyway. Though i only know of new zealand props as it was all i was exposed to when i was growing up i would say that craig dowd, and maybe olo brown. but i am sure there are some big props around from their day and b4 that deserve a mention

7. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

Stan Pilecki should be in the hall of fame for most cigarettes consumed on tour :)

8. Ripper

Ripper Guest

No. Just No.

And have they run out of Invisible Pens? When I was last in Melbourne it was 3 tokens and you got an invisible pen.

9. esoj

esoj Guest

wasn't exactly world class prop. he was ok but nothiing special. I think for aussie props the likes of omar hasan and glen panhoe would be considered before darwin. or even better pick phil kearns although not a prop proabbly one of the best front rowers to play for aus

10. BigTen

BigTen Guest

InsaneAsylum,

Kees Meeuws should be the one being suggested for the hall of fame. If that were me and I heard Ben Darwin calling out neck, neck, neck I would have driven right through him.

Ben Darwin was a low standard international prop who would have struggled to make any side other than Australia.

The only reason that he was able to get so many international caps is because there is hardly any competition in Australia.

Maybe we could set up an Australian Hall of Fame and you could just nominate hacks for that and everybody else on The Rugby Forum can actually suggest players that are deserving to be in the hall of fame.

Soon my worse fear will be realised and someone will suggest Chris Whittaker be nominated.

11. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

Ben Darwin was not a massive prop on the field. There are plenty of front rowers that deserve being considered prio to him. So as far as I am concerned, this is a No.

12. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

While i agree that Ben Darwin should definately not be inducted, he was certainly no hack.

With all the great Wallabies of the past i'm surprised you didn't pick one of the more obvious Aussies to induct.

Like one of these 'hacks'...

John Eales
    Michael Lynagh
    Mark Ella
    Ken Catchpole
    Nick Farr-Jones
    Tim Horan
    David Campese
    Toutai Kefu
    Phill Kearns
    Roger Gould
    Willie Ofahengaue
    Simon Poidevin
    Jason Little
    George Gregan
    Steve Larkham....

13. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

Absolutely....

But the one that diserves it most is:

Chris Whittaker :unsure:

14. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

chris whittaker for pm

i bet bigten owns one of those t-shirts that say "i support new zealand and any other country playing australia"

...open your mind, there are more colours in the world other than black

15. woosaah

woosaah Guest

black isnt a colour o_O

16. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

don't get technical with me mister :D

17. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

[​IMG]

18. BigTen

BigTen Guest

Sweet - I betcha AUD100 that I don't own one of those t-shirts! Easy money!

"...Open my mind!?" You what!?

I could say the same for you - I know my rugby well enough to know that Ben Darwin rates very, very low in the list of best international props.

There is no way in hell that he should even be considered for the hall of fame.

Maybe you should do a bit more research and maybe even write your own article rather than just copying and pasting.

The list that the_truth gave is fair enough - all of those players are good enough to at least be suggested for the hall of fame with maybe the exceptions of George Gregan and Steve Larkham as they are still currently playing.

We should really wait until a player has retired before they get nominated.

19. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

ben darwin? oh this discussion had nothing to do with ben darwin a long time ago

a simple 'no' would have sufficed, however once again you take the opportunity to be a n00b basher and a wallaby basher, you wouldn't know a wallaby if it shat on your foot.

you have great knowledge, limited to new zealand rugby.

20. woosaah

woosaah Guest

i thought that if you said no you had to give a reason.

21. BigTen

BigTen Guest

Keith Wood, Hooker, Ireland 1994 - 2003
    Syd Millar, Prop, Ireland 1958 - 1970
    Fran Cotton, Prop, England 1971 - 1981
    Graham Price, Prop, Wales 1975 - 1983
    Nick Popplewell, Prop, Ireland 1989 - 1998

And these are just a few of the props that come to mind that should be inducted before we even start talking about any Australian front-rowers.

InsaneAsylum - and you should notice that none of these are actually New Zealanders.

If you knew your rugby you'd know why Ben Darwin could never be considered in the same company as those that I have mentioned.

And if you think that I am unfairly bashing you - well grab yourself some tissues son you have a lot to learn.

Ben Darwin - pfftttt!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!