• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best future talent

Richard Hibbard -> Ken Owens
Adam Jones -> Craig Mitchell -> Samson Lee
Gethin Jenkins -> Paul James -> Ryan Bevington

I think?

Possibly i don't watch much rabo12 tbh isn't Paul James as old as gethin though ?

in fairness though replacing Adam jones is as good as impossible . Need to start building a cyborg of some form !

Edit : just had a look on wiki James is 31

Last edited:
I live in Wales and chat with the locals about welsh rugby most are pretty hopeful for the neat future but can't see who is coming through in the front row to replace Adam jones , gethin Jenkins and maybe hibbard as he's 30ish too . What's your opinion on this ?

In the front row, there's plenty of potential, but a few of them really need to take it up another notch next season to give us some genuine depth.

At looshead we've got an excellent 'deputy' in Paul James, who's 31, so he should be fine until the next world cup. Behind him, things are a little less cut and dry. Ryan Bevinton and Rhodri Jones are the front-runners, but neither have found consistency in their performances. Bevington especially, goes from looking like a potential world beater, to being completely anonymous. Rhodri Jones needs a season to regain full form after a bad injury. Behind those two we're then looking at youngsters really, with Rob Evans at the Scarlets a bright prospect, although he too was injured all last season. The props involved in this years U20's side have promise as well.

We're OK at hooker imo. Hibbard is 28, so another 5 years? Ken Owens is imo one of the best hookers in the home nations, and was possibly a little unlucky not to make the initial Lions squad. Behind those two, there's Baldwin, Emyr Phillips, Sam Parry and Kirby Myhill. Phillips was disappointing in Japan though, and Baldwin can be extremely shaky lineout time. I'm very excited about Myhill, but he's going to have to work hard to break into the Scarlets team initially with Owens and Phillips there.

Tighthead: Craig Mitchell is a steady option. I don't think he's anything special, but should do the job when required. Scott Andrews seems to be next in line, but I still have severe doubts about his scrummaging ability. Samson Lee is the one imo. He may have struggled at times last season for the Scarlets, but what 20y/o tighthead doesn't? He's a better scrummager than Adam Jones was at his age, in fact he's a better scrummager than any Welsh tighthead I can remember at his age. He ended last season as first choice for the Scarlets, so I'd expect that to continue this season, so he won't be short on gametime. He won't be ready for international rugby for another season or two though, so we'll have to wait to see how he develops.

Overall, Adam Jones is going to be very, very hard to replace. I hope that Samson's rise will coincide nicely with Adam's retirement, but it's not often things work out to neatly, so we'll have to wait and see. The depth is still lacking across the front row though. If Jenkins and James were injured, I wouldn't be totally comfortable with any of the options yet, and the same goes at hooker with if Hibbs and Owens got injured (although there's the emergency option of Matthew Rees there).

In the front row, there's plenty of potential, but a few of them really need to take it up another notch next season to give us some genuine depth.

At looshead we've got an excellent 'deputy' in Paul James, who's 31, so he should be fine until the next world cup. Behind him, things are a little less cut and dry. Ryan Bevinton and Rhodri Jones are the front-runners, but neither have found consistency in their performances. Bevington especially, goes from looking like a potential world beater, to being completely anonymous. Rhodri Jones needs a season to regain full form after a bad injury. Behind those two we're then looking at youngsters really, with Rob Evans at the Scarlets a bright prospect, although he too was injured all last season. The props involved in this years U20's side have promise as well.

We're OK at hooker imo. Hibbard is 28, so another 5 years? Ken Owens is imo one of the best hookers in the home nations, and was possibly a little unlucky not to make the initial Lions squad. Behind those two, there's Baldwin, Emyr Phillips, Sam Parry and Kirby Myhill. Phillips was disappointing in Japan though, and Baldwin can be extremely shaky lineout time. I'm very excited about Myhill, but he's going to have to work hard to break into the Scarlets team initially with Owens and Phillips there.

Tighthead: Craig Mitchell is a steady option. I don't think he's anything special, but should do the job when required. Scott Andrews seems to be next in line, but I still have severe doubts about his scrummaging ability. Samson Lee is the one imo. He may have struggled at times last season for the Scarlets, but what 20y/o tighthead doesn't? He's a better scrummager than Adam Jones was at his age, in fact he's a better scrummager than any Welsh tighthead I can remember at his age. He ended last season as first choice for the Scarlets, so I'd expect that to continue this season, so he won't be short on gametime. He won't be ready for international rugby for another season or two though, so we'll have to wait to see how he develops.

Overall, Adam Jones is going to be very, very hard to replace. I hope that Samson's rise will coincide nicely with Adam's retirement, but it's not often things work out to neatly, so we'll have to wait and see. The depth is still lacking across the front row though. If Jenkins and James were injured, I wouldn't be totally comfortable with any of the options yet, and the same goes at hooker with if Hibbs and Owens got injured (although there's the emergency option of Matthew Rees there).

ive heard about Samson lee think the first time I saw him was against Exeter in HC last year I guess it wouldn't be far off the same as most international teams oce you go through the first 2 your into youngsters basically . I guess the most worrying thing is the whole front row is of a similar age so it's about looking for a new front row unit rather than putting them in 1 by 1

Last edited:
I guess the most worrying thing is the whole front row is of a similar age so it's about looking for a new front row unit rather than putting them in 1 by 1

I suppose that's true in terms of props. Adam and Gethin both 32, Paul James 31, but Hibbard at 29 (sorry, not 28 as I previously said), means he'll be there for a few years after the others, and Ken Owens is a growing figure in the squad, and at 26, he's got plenty of years left in him. So it won't quite be a whole front row at the same time, but it does highlight the importance of getting the back-up props up to speed in the next couple of years, which was probably the reason for leaving Paul James out of the Japan tour, big mistake in hindsight.

Luckily, it's the only area of the team were we don't have young guy's playing, so hopefully they can give opportunities to the likes of Bevington, Mitchell, Rhodri Jones, Andrews and Samson Lee (I'll let Gats decide which ones) in an otherwise full-strength team.

Hopefully we'll have as much luck with players coming through as we had at openside when Martyn Williams came to the end of his career (along came Warburton, and now Tipuric), or on the wing where Shane appeared irreplaceable (along came North, then Cuthbert, and maybe Eli Wales next).

Disagree there dullonien. Samson Lee as yet has just come on top of the joke scrums like the Dragons. Adam Jones made his Wales debut aged 22, and almost immediately became first choice. Adam **** on rubbish like Scott Andrews and Phil Price aged 20/21.

Disagree there dullonien. Samson Lee as yet has just come on top of the joke scrums like the Dragons. Adam Jones made his Wales debut aged 22, and almost immediately became first choice. Adam **** on rubbish like Scott Andrews and Phil Price aged 20/21.

LOL Why are we even talking about Wales, this thread is about emerging nations and not ones that are already at the top i.e. 6 Nations & 4 Nations teams. I get it your all very excited about the Welsh led Lions win but way to hijack the thread haha

LOL Why are we even talking about Wales, this thread is about emerging nations and not ones that are already at the top i.e. 6 Nations & 4 Nations teams. I get it your all very excited about the Welsh led Lions win but way to hijack the thread haha

Actually it was about emerging nations but also talent within currently established teams. However it has become a bit Welsh-centric the last few posts.

Richard Hibbard -> Ken Owens
Adam Jones -> Craig Mitchell -> Samson Lee
Gethin Jenkins -> Paul James -> Ryan Bevington

I think?

It seems the Welsh management are trying to bring through Scott Andrews as Jones' replacement though, which would be disappointing for me because I rate him as the worst out of him, Mitchell and Lee.

Also, add Scott Baldwin to that list of hookers. Been very impressed with him on occasions this season. Has turned 25 today (according to his Wiki) so still very young too.

Samoa, Argentina and Italy. I think Wales could win RWC 2015 or perhaps RWC 2019, they have good young players as Sam Davies and Jordan Williams.

Regards

Pablo Matera already played against Boks and AB's and he did pretty well.
He got some great future ahead of him.

Latest posts