• Total voters

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I'm bored so who do you think is the best international goalkicker. I've incluede the people I think would crop up the most. Also do people think that at the very top level there's ver little between kickers and it's more on any given day?

Morne Steyn. I think that some kickers are just much better. Guys like Carter, Steyn, O'Gara, Yachvili, Farrell (not just yet) are just very consistant and have great technique. I think there's a clear difference between the top kickers and the ok kickers.

Last edited:
Quade Cooper

:lol:

I jest. It obviously depends on location, weather etc but on any given day its hard to look past Morne Steyn

Does anyone know a reliable site to find kicking percentatges?

Last edited:
Morné Steyn.
Not since Neil Jenkins has there been such an accurate kicker (at range as well).

Leigh is getting up there as well. He didn't miss more than one kick a match, much improved over the season.

what i've seen from super 15 so far it looks like mike harris of the reds is pretty darn good and johan goosen as well, plus he can also kick them from 60m.

I find it hard to judge what a South Africans actual range is because of the altitude. Many still have huge boots at sea level but I'm still never sure.

Morne Steyn has to be the winner here, rarely has an off game also has pretty good distance. On another kicking note does anyone remember/know the name of the Romanian guy who handled the kickoffs for his team at the RWC(I've been trying to remeber it)? He was the best I've ever seen at kicking off, was able to put it massively into the air and well placed as well.

Edit: What is Morne's %? I think Canadian FH Jared Barker retired in 2004 with a 91% kicking rate or something close to that, but his career was beset by massive injury problems and he was only an average FH in other aspects.

Morne Steyn is the best Leigh Halfpenny is getting there, Chris Paterson and Neil Jenkins were amazing to be fair.

I find it hard to judge what a South Africans actual range is because of the altitude. Many still have huge boots at sea level but I'm still never sure.
Lambie has put them over from just over 50m at Kings Park, pretty sure Morné has done the same near-sea level.

I'd also go with Morne Steyn. For what ever he lacks in the other parts of his game, he's probably the most consistant goal kicker I've seen.

I would be interested if anyone has any statistics on this. It should be an easy debate to settle. Although rugby isn't a stats game like cricket I would love some stats to come into common use.

true. the only south african u can be sure of is francois steyn. he kicked a 61m penalty against the ab's in 2009 in hamilton which i pressume is close to sea level.

but have a look at this one from johan goosen when he played u/18 for grey college in bloemfontein (4500 ft asl)

18 years old....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know his Scottish days are over but Chris Patterson as a goal kicker deserves a mention